Team Mgmt. Talk about the makeup of our list - midfield balance, height profile, endurance runners

Status
Not open for further replies.

ILikeCheese

Senior List
Apr 24, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
Can up date you on this. Adopted mum is holding out for a few more $ .
I heard Tippas a little under the thumb when it comes to Mum. Heard a rumour from a current players sibling she looks after his finances and keeps tabs on his spendings.
Looks like the price just went up again after Saturday....

CBombers17

Premium Platinum
Jul 7, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
I'm not a particularly politically correct person but the commentary around Tippa's family influence on his personal spending, finances or contract negotiation seems fraught with danger.

Don’t think it’s the biggest indicator since we aren’t that far behind Geelong and Carlton are top 2 for both. Not sure what this proves but does it mean speed is overrated or fitness? Hard to say
View attachment 707928

Distance covered has a lot to do with defending, so while a team with a good defensive attitude will cover a lot of distance, a s**t side that is constantly chasing the opposition will also have a really high distance covered stat.

I heard Tippas a little under the thumb when it comes to Mum. Heard a rumour from a current players sibling she looks after his finances and keeps tabs on his spendings.

I read in an article on him that EQ did years ago that he has a slight learning difficulty and among other things they had to change the way he was coached to accommodate that. With that in mind it doesn't surprise me that his adopted mum is keeping an eye on things a bit, he seems almost child-like in his love of footy in his interviews and would probably take minimum pay just to be playing if it were left to him.

I read in an article on him that EQ did years ago that he has a slight learning difficulty and among other things they had to change the way he was coached to accommodate that. With that in mind it doesn't surprise me that his adopted mum is keeping an eye on things a bit, he seems almost child-like in his love of footy in his interviews and would probably take minimum pay just to be playing if it were left to him.
That's probably laying it on a little thick, but roughly in the right track I suppose.

There's also the fact that a lot of players clearly need their mothers to do the same thing for them, what with reports of gambling addictions, expensive drug habits and a lot of reliance on clubs to help them with everything else, not just their finances. I imagine he also has a player manager, like pretty much every other player in the league.

ghostdog

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 18, 2008
gondawanaland
AFL Club
Essendon
I'm not a particularly politically correct person but the commentary around Tippa's family influence on his personal spending, finances or contract negotiation seems fraught with danger.
The word I think you're looking for is paternalism. Our colonial and sovereign governments' relationship with ATSI people is fraught with condescension and paternalistic attitudes. If that's not the word you're looking for, play on :)

Oct 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Everton, Storm, Victory

I wouldn’t have thought he’d have an actual learning difficultly. I'm no expert on the Tiwi Islands but having worked in a few remote community schools, I'd imagine it isn't close to the standard of cities. Normally one teacher to thirty kids of all different age brackets. Take nearly any kid from that system and they would be deemed to be behind the normal standard unless they are exceptionally gifted learners.

That is pretty much what I hear as well.

I wouldn’t have thought he’d have an actual learning difficultly. I'm no expert on the Tiwi Islands but having worked in a few remote community schools, I'd imagine it isn't close to the standard of cities. Normally one teacher to thirty kids of all different age brackets. Take nearly any kid from that system and they would be deemed to be behind the normal standard unless they are exceptionally gifted learners.
I don't think it was a reflection on the community he comes from. I seem to remember it being reported somewhere along the way, along with the rest of his story? Which isn't to say it's severe or anything, could be something that's easy to treat but just needed to be diagnosed. He also didn't speak any English when he moved to Victoria so I'm not sure we can say he even attended one of those schools, unless they teach in local languages up there..

Jul 19, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Atlanta Falcons/Winnipeg Jets
We need to draft (not early) a developmental small defender.

• Baguley, McNiece and Dea and almost certainly gone this year.
  • McKenna and Saad are locks but if they get hurt we are in trouble
  • The coaching staff is hell bent on McGrath as a mid
  • Gleeson/Redman/Guelfi would be ok stop gaps but I wouldn't want to see them on someone like Walters or Betts

Some signatures would be nice (redman, clarke, frang, tippa, parish)
It's a bit hard to sign players who have already agreed to contracts at St Kilda

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
We need to draft (not early) a developmental small defender.

• Baguley, McNiece and Dea and almost certainly gone this year.
  • McKenna and Saad are locks but if they get hurt we are in trouble
  • The coaching staff is hell bent on McGrath as a mid
  • Gleeson/Redman/Guelfi would be ok stop gaps but I wouldn't want to see them on someone like Walters or Betts

Agree with the sentiments, and would make a point of getting another small defender, but Redman is much better than a stop gap as a small defender. Granted, there are also better uses of his talents.

That new Irish boy will most likely play as a defender.

Jul 19, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Atlanta Falcons/Winnipeg Jets
forwa.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back