Running bounce 15m vs Paid mark 15m

Remove this Banner Ad

The best at running 30m without bouncing from kicking out is West Coast and the God at it is Shannon Hurn.

One of the games this weekend (GC v Richmond maybe?), One player kicks it very short to another player, paid the mark, kicks it straight back... Not 15?

Does make me laugh sometimes.

Sometimes the umpires get the shits with all the short kicks in a row and will call not 15 on one that easily goes about 20m.

Interesting the reports that the AFL is considering extending the 15m for a mark to 20.
Either they haven’t been watching the game nearly close enough to see that they should just get umps to actually enforce 15m and they’ll get the desired effect - in which case they just should not be changing rules.
Or, they’ve tried that and umpires haven’t responded at all.

Conner Mckenna, runs and kicks the ball to himself and keeps running, although it looks good, he is still in possession of the ball without bouncing it and should be penalised.
It's another grey area of the AFL rules, although you could argue the rules say you have to bounce it, and you'd be right. If you rush a kick and it goes 20 metres vertically but only 10 metres horizontally, which is fairly common, and then 'mark' it, it's deemed a new possession (and not a mark). Personally, I don't mind him substituting a bounce with that but technically you're probably right considering that if you handball it to yourself it's deemed you've been in possession the whole time.

It's another grey area of the AFL rules, although you could argue the rules say you have to bounce it, and you'd be right. If you rush a kick and it goes 20 metres vertically but only 10 metres horizontally, which is fairly common, and then 'mark' it, it's deemed a new possession (and not a mark). Personally, I don't mind him substituting a bounce with that but technically you're probably right considering that if you handball it to yourself it's deemed you've been in possession the whole time.

Really, I didn't know that, cheers

According to someone on the umpiring roster (who hasn't cracked an AFL game yet), they're meant to count the steps of the ball carrier to determine 15m but for a kick they look at the different patches of grass to judge distance (also how they measure the 50m penalties).

The problem is some grounds have the squares mowed in at 10m intervals but Marvel stadium apparently had 9m intervals for part of the year. Typical of the AFL to take something fairly straightforward and make it into an impossibly complex task.

This is something that reaaaallly grinds my gears. Bouncing the ball at speed should be regarded as a key skill and part of its uniqueness, but those in charge seem hell bent on removing the requirement.

In the first play of the second quarter North v Geelong today, Bews received the ball in the centre circle (roughly in line with the bouncedown disc) and proceeded to kick just before the forward centre square line. There is no way that the umpire in charge does not know that Bews has run 25 metres in this case; it is almost implausible to suggest incompetence as the cause. Is it too aluminium-helmet of me to believe it is a direct order from those in charge to the umpires to "let them run" in order to free up the game and provide a greater highlight reel?

On the other hand, am half expecting the Rule-of-the-Week chocolate wheel to fall on the running bounce peg sometime over the remaining half season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With respect to Connor Mckenna selfie kick. The rules of the game must apply and I would be furious if I thought the umps let it go potentially costing the game. However, the rules should be changed next year to allow it. Skill and excitement should not be stifled.

Another perfect example in tonights games that the umpires are just totally unable to accurately judge a 15m length.

Aarts marks the ball in line with the tip of the square, it’s already about 15m I’d guess to the 50m arc, then continues to run another 15m before kicking the ball without a bounce at any point. He’s ran atleast 25-30m, How can the umpire think this is not running to far?
6EEA1DFE-EE39-43E5-B0AB-933B45BA5DC6.png

83F70CF8-4DE4-4C54-9949-8D42CD6035BE.png

Another perfect example in tonights games that the umpires are just totally unable to accurately judge a 15m length.

Aarts marks the ball in line with the tip of the square, it’s already about 15m I’d guess to the 50m arc, then continues to run another 15m before kicking the ball without a bounce at any point. He’s ran atleast 25-30m, How can the umpire think this is not running to far?
View attachment 951653

View attachment 951663
Yep can't believe he didn't get pinged took at least 18 steps from memory. Camdyn Macintosh got done a few games back but he basically ran a straight line. Aarts did that little sidestep so maybe it was all too confusing for the umps and they just restarted the measuring from the sidestep :drunk:

Edit: Just checked it was 14 steps so maybe he was right on the cusp...

Last edited:
Yep can't believe he didn't get pinged took at least 18 steps from memory. Camdyn Macintosh got done a few games back but he basically ran a straight line. Aarts did that little sidestep so maybe it was all too confusing for the umps and they just restarted the measuring from the sidestep :drunk:

Edit: Just checked it was 14 steps so maybe he was right on the cusp...

Very rarely does it get called when it results in a goal. The Lads got some dash about him which probably saved saved him.

Even 14 steps at full stride while running, each step is probably a good 1.5m and well over the distance.

Well, an average stride for an middle distandce runner (ie - not flat out - say 800m) is about 2.2-2.5 metres.
For a marathon runner it's just over 2 metres.
A top sprinter may be 2-5-2.7.

Afl players are pretty good athletes. In general if they are running and bouncing with the ball, they are generally going near top speed. So 15 strides is ridiculous.

Anyway - there's a simple tool that can resolve all these issues!
s-l640.jpg

Probably sounds a little childish but maybe when the umpires train, they do train right, they set up cones or tape on the ground spaced at 15m intervals.
Run around them, bounce the ball around them, tuck the ball under their arm and run between them, put the whistle in their mouth, squat down in the middle of the ground with their bum in the air while they wipe their hands on the grass, looking at you Razor.
Whatever it is they do at training they should do it with clear 15m spaced markings. Maybe then it sinks into the "grey" matter and we get some consistency.

Well, an average stride for an middle distandce runner (ie - not flat out - say 800m) is about 2.2-2.5 metres.
For a marathon runner it's just over 2 metres.
A top sprinter may be 2-5-2.7.

Afl players are pretty good athletes. In general if they are running and bouncing with the ball, they are generally going near top speed. So 15 strides is ridiculous.

Anyway - there's a simple tool that can resolve all these issues!
s-l640.jpg
They really should be counting steps and adjusting up and down depending on how flat out a player is going. Flat out, most players should be taking a bounce every 7 or 8 strides.

Players also have GPS trackers. It would be good if this tech could be used in some way to alert the umpire when a player is approaching their 15 limit, although counting steps is something both umpire and player can do.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back