Vic Clubs take $77m in Pokies revenue

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
More than $77m was lost in machines owned by Victorian AFL clubs during the year. Hawthorn had the greatest share making just under $24.7m from its 165 machines at various premises.

https://www.watoday.com.au/business/companies/afl-clubs-fill-boots-with-pokies-cash-as-losses-hit-2-7bn-20190726-p52b1z.html …

View image on Twitter

In addition the Lions took in 16.1m too.
Southport in the QAFL took in $19.1m.

In the NRL,

Canterbury Leagues took in $75.7m in gaming revenue on their own, Panthers took in $66.6m and Parra leagues took in $45m.

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
It’s a huge issue. And clearly it isn’t going away with those numbers. My concern is that we are associating it to sport in a very controlled way through advertising, sure we don’t advertise pokie machines, but it’s gambling nonetheless. We have a social activity combined with an antisocial one. I think it’s a huge issue for AFL clubs given that they are essentially drawings funds off facilitation and promotion of these machines.

It comes down to choice, sure, but when you invest in something where statistically there are no real winners bar the owners pocketing millions, I think it needs to be reviewed. As far as gambling goes? I detest it. The way the AFL has aligned with betting agencies bothers me and is a huge problem. Gambling and betting has become masculine, cool, advanced, intelligent and hi tech according to the advertisements peddled by the agencies.

I think the AFL needs to look at different avenues to drive revenue, but I doubt it’ll happen under this administration as they are so heavily tied to gambling.

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Clubs need to live within their means, problem is what does that mean for AFL revenue?

Its not that simple any more. The clubs have no control over much of their revenue, and expenses.

1. No fair draw.
2. Centralised AFL stadium deals means Victorian clubs have almost no ability to negotiate their own venue arrangements - particularly true if you are a lower drawing club like the Roos, Bulldogs and Saints.
3. Playing at Docklands over the MCG - these same 3 clubs. For whatever reason, the Victorian football public prefers the MCG over Docklands.
4. The AFL and MCC directly competing for members with the clubs. While the AFL has always offered a club support option, the MCC hasnt until recently.
5. Compulsory spending on player wages - up to 95% of the cap must be spent.

Then theres the struggle to maintain parity with your neighboring clubs or interstate clubs with deeper pockets than youve ever had, because the league had favoured them with fixturing decisions (see: Blockbusters, marquee timeslots, venues) or being unable to compete with fiercely parochial non victorian clubs.

Socrates2

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Interesting article from the Age today, the 'family club' , Hawthorn have made an incredible $24 million from poker machines in 12 months. If they need to make money from the misfortune of others to survive should they consider merging to stop the destruction in the community?
It seems hypocritical that former Beyond Blue chairman Jeff Kennett has no qualms about making these massive profits.
My own team Richmond, made $5.3 million and has no plan to phase out pokies. What does the AFL stand for when sports gambling and pokies are generating massive profits at the expense of the little guy?
(The teams with an asterisk have a phase-out plan.)
Screenshot_20190727-105847_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
The family club going beautifully as always.

They'll justify this to their members as necessary to fund their Dingley expansion, for which they'll receive a hefty amount of Government funding. Then when that's up and running they'll probably set up for profit child care centres and make a stack from generous childcare funding.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So top 3 are a club that positions itself as the family club yet destroys families, and two clubs that have circumvented AFL rules.
Clear lack of scruples.

Glad we've pledged to get out of this dirty business.

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Interesting article from the Age today, the 'family club' , Hawthorn have made an incredible $24 million from poker machines in 12 months. If they need to make money from the misfortune of others to survive should they consider merging to stop the destruction in the community?
It seems hypocritical that former Beyond Blue chairman Jeff Kennett has no qualms about making these massive profits.
My own team Richmond, made $5.3 million and has no plan to phase out pokies. What does the AFL stand for when sports gambling and pokies are generating massive profits at the expense of the little guy?
(The teams with an asterisk have a phase-out plan.)
View attachment 716088

Where’s Collingwood ?

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Here's the thing, AFL clubs walking away from pokies is going to change absolutely nothing in terms of the number of people losing money on pokies. It just means some corporate gremlin will be raking in that money instead. Until the government makes serious changes with root causes of gambling, like a massive mental health drive, or even reintroducing the pre-commitment scheme that Gillard floated and then abandoned 9 years ago, there's really no point in the clubs walking away. They might as well profit if the social harm is going to be done anyway.

Oct 6, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Sixers, Exers, GWS Womens
At the end of the day someone will profit from pokies unless the government cracks down(unlikely) and its better off being football clubs which gives back to the community.

It would be better however finding alternatives sources for funding however it’s better than relying on the profitable clubs/AFL to provide funds which come from pokies/gambling.

Canterbury Leagues took in $75.7m in gaming revenue on their own, Panthers took in $66.6m and Parra leagues took in $45m.
I assume that is purely gaming revenue not other venue income. When I looked at Panthers group a few years ago their entertainment venues arm had around $100m in revenues, which would make sense that around $35-$40m is catering, rental and other venue revenue. Think the football club revenues was just over $25m.

Yeah not happy at all with Carlton's revenue from those toxic, soul destroying machines. Feels like tainted blood money. #GetRidOfEm
It was Bruce Mathieson's bequest to the club back in 2010 when the pokie duopoly was split up.

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
I assume that is purely gaming revenue not other venue income. When I looked at Panthers group a few years ago their entertainment venues arm had around $100m in revenues, which would make sense that around $35-$40m is catering, rental and other venue revenue. Think the football club revenues was just over $25m.

Yes thats purely gaming revenue.

Yes thats purely gaming revenue.
What about the Vic figures? because when they have been reported before they have included non gaming venue revenue, when you compared them to the financials.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back