Review Dees v Aints in the Simpson Desert Cup: the Good, Bad & Fugly - Rd 19

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m very annoyed we don’t seem to be using this season to at least modify aspects of our game plan. I’m sure a wholesale change is hard in season(although Carlton and north did it). But we could at least get something out of it

Omac was awful, why is he even back in the side?

I don't care enough to comment more, not like it matters. Next week we will do the same stupid crap again like bomb it long into forward 50, over possess, turnover, press forward and let the ball get over the back. Honestly, Goody you are a crap coach. You do the same thing week in week out and expect a different result.

Also, why are Viney and Jones captains? They don't lead from the front and honestly, I question their place in the team on current form, waste of spots. You suck Melbourne

Yeah, I’m coming round to the idea that Goody may not be up to it, and if he isn’t, we could be wasting a really promising group of footballers.

I did get on ‘Membrey to kick 3+ and Saints win’ at $5 however, so it wasn’t all bad.

There are guys like Baker and Hunt who havebthe attributes that we need but just can't get themselves in the right place to use it. Is it them, or is it coaching? I'm hoping the latter.

Lever, with time next to May and co, will be great.

Hibberd might be done, Hore is looking over his shoulder. We need another running half back though.

Might as well make Frost the Cpt . He perfectly sums up how we are playing right now . No one has a clue what anyone else is doing out there. To see so many players perform well below last season is quite deflating and it has also exposed the limitations a lot of our group have . Then to hear Max say they don't know why we are leaking goals galore makes me wonder what the * they do when reviewing the previous game. ATM our team reflects our coach in the media anyway , dull ,boring and repetitive in his answers . He is stubbornly sticking to a game plan that appears to be outdated, he refuses to drop any of his best 22 but continues to give others a week or 2 then drop them. I seriously wonder how long the players will back him if this continues into next season. Would not surprise if some are already questioning what we are doing with their careers .

Fugly - I was out all day til I flipped the TV on not even intending to watch football. There it was, StK v Melb, 5 min into the last quarter and we were up by 4 points. I just changed channels saying, "we will lose this, guaranteed". There is just no reason to have faith in this bunch of jokers. When I think of how many hours of my life I've given to this club... I can't even afford to total it up because I won't be able to cope with the answer.

Omac was awful, why is he even back in the side?

I don't care enough to comment more, not like it matters. Next week we will do the same stupid crap again like bomb it long into forward 50, over possess, turnover, press forward and let the ball get over the back. Honestly, Goody you are a crap coach. You do the same thing week in week out and expect a different result.

Also, why are Viney and Jones captains? They don't lead from the front and honestly, I question their place in the team on current form, waste of spots. You suck Melbourne
Thank you. I have been pushing the agenda for Salem or Lever too lead the club in the future.

We still seem to think that we need to play on and move the ball quickly whenever we win it in the back half. Problem is we have a team of average to poor disposers of the ball, and hence we utensil it up most of the time. So the ball then comes racing back the other way into a disorganised defensive structure. Easy pickings for the opposition. But don't worry - those 2-3 times a game it comes off, it looks great.

Always looking to handball. Handball it to a manned-up teammate. Handball it over your head to no one. Handball it to the opposition, even. Doesn't matter when or where - just handball it. Don't worry, it'll occasionally work out.

Our method of bringing the ball back in after a behind: run it 15m and kick it long down the line to Gawn. Every. Single. Time. But that's ok - it's predictable. And occasionally it'll work out ok.

Oh, and if you're going to switch play, do it slowly. Gottta let our players trot over to the other side of the ground first so they can get the ball. Oh, they're now all manned up? Oh well, we only try this once or twice a week anyway. It doesn't matter.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results.

We are an insane football club.

What really annoys me about our long kick ins;

The bloke kicking rarely kicks to Gawns advantage. And the other melbourne players don’t set up around the contest to win the footy.

It’s eirher a short kick to the pocket then long down the line or play on and long down the line. There is no attempt at hitting a target around the corridor/50 m arc

Can anyone explain to me why Oscar McDonald thinks that 10m behind is a good place to defend from? Lost count of the amount of times that his forward got 5-10m on him to take an uncontested mark and kick a goal ... bring May in for him, and we'd - undeservedly - win that game, and that just disgusts me, as the rest of the team was bad enough to lose it without him.

Was very noticeable last night. Odd way to defend - its like he was worried about getting manhandled if he was too tight on his opponent, but he doesn't have the closing speed to make up 5 metres when he's sitting off his opponent. Its s**t, but you would have thought one of our coaches might have told him to go shoulder to shoulder with Membrey rather than guarding the dangerous space on the boundary line's back pocket.

Thank you. I have been pushing the agenda for Salem or Lever too lead the club in the future.

If someone else is captaining the same side last night, do you think we're a 3 or 4 goal better team?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When I saw the Wagners + O'Mac in I put a pineapple on us to lose by 40+. We can't even lose properly!! If only St Kilda weren't such a pox side 😩

If someone else is captaining the same side last night, do you think we're a 3 or 4 goal better team?
The fact Jones cost us about 5 goals with his awful, awful disposal any time he tried to hit up a target...
L69ABQn.png

The fact Jones cost us about 5 goals with his awful, awful disposal any time he tried to hit up a target...
L69ABQn.png

Kicks it better when he's not captain, does he?

With the greatest respect to some players, we are fielding half a VFL team. I say with respect because a lot of players (T Smith, Baker, Wagners, OMac, Petty, Lewis) would know they are depth players, not regulars. But we've had to play them. Not their fault, but no team could carry that many VFL players and play finals. Even look at Collingwood and how much they're struggling right now. Unsurprisingly the teams up top haven't had to carry many developing players. We can't even afford to drop underperforming best 22 players because there's noone left really. Didn't have this problem last year. Those depth players were rarely called upon.

I would have to say that’s our worst performance for the year.
I’d be interested in seeing exactly how much difference Mat Tmac and Melksham would make.
Omac trailed his opponent all night. Very early on he looked ok getting a few spoils in.
Our forward entries remain a total mess. That’s where Melksham comes into it.

How we only lost by 20 is beyond me. Richmond will destroy us next week.

With the greatest respect to some players, we are fielding half a VFL team. I say with respect because a lot of players (T Smith, Baker, Wagners, OMac, Petty, Lewis) would know they are depth players, not regulars. But we've had to play them. Not their fault, but no team could carry that many VFL players and play finals. Even look at Collingwood and how much they're struggling right now. Unsurprisingly the teams up top haven't had to carry many developing players. We can't even afford to drop underperforming best 22 players because there's noone left really. Didn't have this problem last year. Those depth players were rarely called upon.

Lewis has been pretty good since he's been playing in the forward line. Jagged a few goals here and there (should have more, too) but has made one of the opposition's key defenders accountable (ie McGovern) and keeping them out of a lot of contests. Beats having another guy down there who'll jump at anything and bring their man to every contest. Doesn't do a lot for forward pressure but he's not alone there. The likes of Baker, Petty, maybe C Wagner have shown a little bit as well.

I think the key thing has been the form of our better players. Good teams can carry a few potatoes here and there and even make them look decent, whereas our best players have been inconsistent, scratchy or out of form. If those guys can get their act together, the rest of the lesser lights will follow.

Lewis has been pretty good since he's been playing in the forward line. Jagged a few goals here and there (should have more, too) but has made one of the opposition's key defenders accountable (ie McGovern) and keeping them out of a lot of contests. Beats having another guy down there who'll jump at anything and bring their man to every contest. Doesn't do a lot for forward pressure but he's not alone there. The likes of Baker, Petty, maybe C Wagner have shown a little bit as well.

I think the key thing has been the form of our better players. Good teams can carry a few potatoes here and there and even make them look decent, whereas our best players have been inconsistent, scratchy or out of form. If those guys can get their act together, the rest of the lesser lights will follow.
Totally agree. I guess I'm saying a lot of the negativity goes towards Wagners and Petty etc. but really they're playing a level above where they're at in my opinion anyway. So I don't really blame them. But those top 16 guys are so low on confidence they can barely carry themselves, let alone the 17-22 depth players. But they can't be dropped because there's basically noone else to bring in.

I would have to say that’s our worst performance for the year.
I’d be interested in seeing exactly how much difference Mat Tmac and Melksham would make.
Omac trailed his opponent all night. Very early on he looked ok getting a few spoils in.
Our forward entries remain a total mess. That’s where Melksham comes into it.

How we only lost by 20 is beyond me. Richmond will destroy us next week.
Oh are we playing tigers next week? I didn’t want to look. Marvellous- just marvellous

Yeah, I’m coming round to the idea that Goody may not be up to it, and if he isn’t, we could be wasting a really promising group of footballers.

I did get on ‘Membrey to kick 3+ and Saints win’ at $5 however, so it wasn’t all bad.
Haha same as, easiest money in the world

I must say, i’m worried that Goodwin will do what Neeld did after 2012 and totally gut the list to bring in ‘his type’ of competitors when he is unlikely to be at the club in 12 months.

I could easily see him scapegoating guys like Brayshaw and ANB and trading them away for unders. If every single player on your list is underperforming and failing to execute your game plan, maybe the coach is the problem.

I’d hate to lose any good talent for whoever the next coach is.

By my calculations that's now the 7th time we've lost a game where we were in a position to win after half time.

Essendon, West Coast X 2, Adelaide, Brisbane, Western Bulldogs, Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

Back