"Sack Goodwin!"

Remove this Banner Ad

Goooooooody mate. You're a lemon. Am I pissed right now? Yes. Did I miss the second half? Yes. Do I know this bloke can't coach or motivate? All day. You're a lemon son. Pack it in old boy.

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
Tbh once we bring back Melksham, Hore, McDonald and vandenBerg, bring in Langdon and hopefully some talent at the draft and hopefully at least four of Weideman, Jetta, Lever, Hannan, May and Garlett have better years in terms of fitness and form than 2019 we will eke out a mediocre year, finish 6-10 and Goody will get another season. We won't sack him until his contract is done unfortunately.

All we can hope for really is that we get Lachie Whitfield as a free agent at the end of 2020.
I don’t see why we would be tied to Goodwin throughout his entire contract? Surely we have clauses within that we could institute to sack him based on poor performance?

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
Is Carlton> MELBOURNE
I don’t know if they are better, but they are being coached better. Under Teague they’ve beaten Brisbane, Fremantle, Sydney, Gold Coast and Adelaide. And narrowly lost to the WB and us.

The thing that is really bothering me is that clearly a change of voice and message has resonated with Carlton. Same with North to a degree. I think that it might not take much for someone to look at this from the outside and be able to find something positive to come of it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ando727

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 12, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Melbourne
I don’t see why we would be tied to Goodwin throughout his entire contract? Surely we have clauses within that we could institute to sack him based on poor performance?
The worst mistake would be if the last year of his contract was tied to a performance target in the second last year of his contract. That would mean that we couldn't let him go until the second last year was completed and the target wasn't reached. If we terminated him anytime before that, we would have to pay out the entire length of his contract. And don't think that we aren't stupid enough to structure it this way - we most certainly are. And his agent would be smart enough to make sure it was structured that way. Any way you look at it, we aren't getting out of this deal cheaply. It's just a question of how much we're willing to pay. If it was Pert's idea to extend him like we did, he should go too - and anybody else along with him. It was the peak of irresponsibility to extend Goodwin that early, for that long. Just appalling mismanagement. And that stands even if we do rise up the ladder again next year. You don't extend people with long contracts who aren't even in demand.

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
The worst mistake would be if the last year of his contract was tied to a performance target in the second last year of his contract. That would mean that we couldn't let him go until the second last year was completed and the target wasn't reached. If we terminated him anytime before that, we would have to pay out the entire length of his contract. And don't think that we aren't stupid enough to structure it this way - we most certainly are. And his agent would be smart enough to make sure it was structured that way. Any way you look at it, we aren't getting out of this deal cheaply. It's just a question of how much we're willing to pay. If it was Pert's idea to extend him like we did, he should go too - and anybody else along with him. It was the peak of irresponsibility to extend Goodwin that early, for that long. Just appalling mismanagement. And that stands even if we do rise up the ladder again next year. You don't extend people with long contracts who aren't even in demand.
We had Pert last year didn’t we? Can’t remember.

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
You’d hope so but who the hell knows with this club.
At the very least, I would hope that we can terminate the contract if we can demonstrate he has gone mad

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
At the very least, I would hope that we can terminate the contract if we can demonstrate he has gone mad
But in all seriousness, we need to be able to get rid of him if it’s blatantly obvious it’s not working anymore. I am
Just losing a lot of confidence with the way we are playing. If this becomes a messy protracted process then the executives who signed him on it need to go as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back