2019 AFL draft - Jackson at 3, Pickett at 12 and Rivers at 32

Demon 16

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 25, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
We need to pick up a young KPD in this draft as well IMO. Petty hasn’t shown much chop down back in the seniors - if we keep pick ~20 and/or our third rounder the priority for me with those picks would be finding a player to develop under May given OMac is clearly not suitable.

Sorry but I disagree here. I’m quite happy with a few things I’ve seen from the second year KPP, Petty.

I’m far more interested in leg speed and foot skills in this draft.

Sorry but I disagree here. I’m quite happy with a few things I’ve seen from the second year KPP, Petty.

I’m far more interested in leg speed and foot skills in this draft.
I’ve liked his work as a forward far more than his work in defence. We have no young KPP depth - even if Petty does have potential at both ends we can’t afford to put all of our eggs in one basket etc

Demon 16

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 25, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
I’ve liked his work as a forward far more than his work in defence. We have no young KPP depth - even if Petty does have potential at both ends we can’t afford to put all of our eggs in one basket etc

True - I would much rather another quality young swing man on the list than using T Smith and Kielty to plug the holes/depth.

Hard to find one with late picks though - and there are none at the top endnote this year.

With any luck TMac/Weid will find form next year and May/Lever will stay fit.

Ben King at GC would be a very good target for us if we could weasel him away. I reckon he’s a TMac Mark 2.

Demon bhoy

Club Legend
Oct 7, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
We need to pick up a young KPD in this draft as well IMO. Petty hasn’t shown much chop down back in the seniors - if we keep pick ~20 and/or our third rounder the priority for me with those picks would be finding a player to develop under May given OMac is clearly not suitable.
Not sure we need to be spending anymore high picks on KPD after the last few years, the priority needs to be midfield and forward, from memory we even gave up a pick in the early 20’s to get Frosty the doh man.
Petty isn’t even 2 years in, needs to be given a bit more time before we write him off

Not sure we need to be spending anymore high picks on KPD after the last few years, the priority needs to be midfield and forward, from memory we even gave up a pick in the early 20’s to get Frosty the doh man.
Petty isn’t even 2 years in, needs to be given a bit more time before we write him off
I'm not writing him off, just saying we need to diversify our options given he hasn't played any good games in defence. Our third rounder isn't a high pick anyway.

Demon bhoy

Club Legend
Oct 7, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
I'm not writing him off, just saying we need to diversify our options given he hasn't played any good games in defence. Our third rounder isn't a high pick anyway.
Yeah in the later rounds maybe, it’s a shot in the dark at that point anyway, but for me midfielders and forwards with leg speed and foot skills if possible would take priority in the first 2 rounds

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
We need to keep the focus on an experienced outside midfielder. Brad Hill would be the one we should target. I am not sure what the status with Coniglio is but we should try and push for him. It may mean a bigger chip makes way in a trade, Petracca or Brayshaw to get what we want, but the main thing is we arrest this issue with our ball use and for that we really need two good outside midfielders.

I’ve got no idea how the current crop is going from last years draft, but I’d like to think we’ve got something there to plug into our midfield next year. As far as KPP go? There are enough. Defence is fine and forward is fine, we need midfield class and that should be the priority. Ideally a midfielder that can go forward.

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
Of course they will. The AFL will argue we made a prelim last year and our list is good enough to make finals without needing pick 2. And we are a lightweight so wont complain. The table is perfectly set to fu** us over.
If we are relying on the draft to not get ****ed over then we resemble a bin fire. We should be using our picks as bargaining chips to get what we need in terms of experience in the middle. FWIW we had pick 2 & 3 in 2014 and got Petracca and Brayshaw? Who is to say we don’t get two more like them? And our player development is ordinary so we will probably just turn some kid with potential into an ‘inside bull’.

Sylvia Saint

Cancelled
May 20, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Crusaders
We need to hope GC don't get a before R1 PP, the top 2 talents are daylight ahead of the next.
I'm not too worried about that. I have no doubt the AFL will grant them one. But I have flashbacks to Scully and Trengove in 2009. Even the McCartin, Petracca and Brayshaw were considered a cut above at the time. Give me Stephenson over Raynor. McLuggage over McGrath. Oliver over Weitering. Top 2 talent now doesn't mean Top 2 forever. Often 3-7 is the golden range.

But having said that make no mistake, the AFL will grant the Suns 1 and 2. I've never been surer.

rhaz

Cancelled
Jun 30, 2008
AFL Club
Melbourne
Interesting quote from Knightmare:

This draft has the most speed/skill/x-factor I've seen. That's the greatest area of strength in this draft.

Key forward options are thin, but there are a good number of key defenders who should feature from the second round onwards.

There is good depth of options, so clubs don't need first round picks to find a talent, with good talent ID there will be plenty mid draft and some late.

If the above is true, it further supports the idea of keeping and using as many picks as possible.

Any trades should be for a pick in 2020.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Interesting quote from Knightmare:

If the above is true, it further supports the idea of keeping and using as many picks as possible.

Any trades should be for a pick in 2020.
Nah. Sounds like the exact types of players we don't draft

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Given our recent draft history and our hopeless negotiating efforts at the trade table, I think we'd be best placed not taking our picks to the draft and avoid trading with other clubs. That's the only way we climb back up the ladder in 2020 and beyond.

Back