Recommitted Jack Petruccelle [out of contract 2020]

Remove this Banner Ad

Not even remotely close. If a player is offered $500k per year, that's slightly above average, and would warrant a mid second round pick at absolute best. First rounder would be if he was getting paid 700+, which obviously would never happen
Other picks could go back. Post wasn't implying his value to be exactly at an early first. I would have thought late first though, he's got some serious speed.

The point is trying to wrestle some power back from the players.
It's getting out of hand.
Jack Stevens reportedly homesick and lives an hour away.

The other point is, if you're contending, holding on to the player for an extra year could win you a GF.
Geelong is a case in point.
Coupe of months too early there but agree we'd be in a far worse position without Tim

Not even remotely close to being worth a first round pick. 18 goals in 20 games, please.

One thing worth keeping in mind, with the current NGA rules the way they are, we should be very much into future picks.

I doubt he would be worth a R1 pick by himself...

perhaps Dogs R1 <> Petro + R2 (syd) something like p7<>Petro + p22 ? Probably equals a pick around p20 ?
Would you willingly give up Pick 7 for Petch, even with Pick 20 coming back? No way I'd do that, regardless of the theoretical pick values. He's got a lot of potential, but right now his speed is his only elite trait, and I'm not so sure he's enough of an upgrade on what we already have developing in the VFL (Vandermeer and Cavarra - the latter having the same 20m sprint time, and a better agility test and yo-yo result)

Would you willingly give up Pick 7 for Petch, even with Pick 20 coming back? No way I'd do that, regardless of the theoretical pick values. He's got a lot of potential, but right now his speed is his only elite trait, and I'm not so sure he's enough of an upgrade on what we already have developing in the VFL (Vandermeer and Cavarra - the latter having the same 20m sprint time, and a better agility test and yo-yo result)

Unless its extraordinary circumstance I think players in contract should see out their contract. But if he is going to move the value of the trade would have to be gauged against the offer put to him... and have to be worthy of WC agreeing to it ..

What the offer in your eyes?

Unless its extraordinary circumstance I think players in contract should see out their contract. But if he is going to move the value of the trade would have to be gauged against the offer put to him... and have to be worthy of WC agreeing to it ..

What the offer in your eyes?
To be honest, I simply don't see a trade happening in the first place since I don't think Petch moves.

If a trade did occur, I imagine it's for our 2nd (around Pick 25) or we get creative with the three 3rd rounders we have, could turn various picks into something like a Pick 22 which is about right in my eyes. He's nowhere near that value, but I do rate his potential so would be willing to pay the early 2nd

To be honest, I simply don't see a trade happening in the first place since I don't think Petch moves.

If a trade did occur, I imagine it's for our 2nd (around Pick 25) or we get creative with the three 3rd rounders we have, could turn various picks into something like a Pick 22 which is about right in my eyes. He's nowhere near that value, but I do rate his potential so would be willing to pay the early 2nd

Doesnt work like that .. you are working out what suit you..not WC. He is contracted .. and WC would have to get what they want ..which would be overs..

Doesnt work like that .. you are working out what suit you..not WC. He is contracted .. and WC would have to get what they want ..which would be overs..
Pick 20 would be huge overs as it is. Just because someone is contracted, doesn't mean it's automatically a 1st round pick

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The point is trying to wrestle some power back from the players.
It's getting out of hand.
Jack Stevens reportedly homesick and lives an hour away.

The other point is, if you're contending, holding on to the player for an extra year could win you a GF.
Geelong is a case in point.

I agree with some of what you say... every trade is different but as a general principle I feel if a player signs a contract he should abide by it.. and he wants out then a club should be over paid to what a player would be worth as a OOC.

Petro signed an extension... WC are clever at getting that extra year or two into young players ..but the players must realise there is this commitment

What ever happens WC hold sway.. if he wants out due to a big offer.. they should only agree if it suits them as well.

FA gives a good benchmark these days.

4 x $500k for example would probably get band 3 compo. Clubs finishing low tend to let players around that mark go for pick in the 20s. We were not happy when Scott Selwood got us that after finishing second. Lycett got band 2 but signed a bigger deal.

If someone wants Petruccelle for $500k a year and he wants to take the offer I reckon we would take a pick in the 20s. Anything worse and there's no motivation for us. We lose a contracted player not on big money and playing to the expected level and get pick 39? Pass.

4 x $500k for example would probably get band 3 compo. Clubs finishing low tend to let players around that mark go for pick in the 20s. We were not happy when Scott Selwood got us that after finishing second. Lycett got band 2 but signed a bigger deal.

If someone wants Petruccelle for $500k a year and he wants to take the offer I reckon we would take a pick in the 20s. Anything worse and there's no motivation for us. We lose a contracted player not on big money and playing to the expected level and get pick 39? Pass.

FA is always a set for 25's and overs ... so younger players on that sort of money ..id expect a bit better than just a pick in the 20's ( eg. 29 ?) ... unless WC are happy just to move him on.

FA is always a set for 25's and overs ... so younger players on that sort of money ..id expect a bit better than just a pick in the 20's ( eg. 29 ?) ... unless WC are happy just to move him on.

If he was more highly rated I think he'd attract massive overs rather than just a pretty good deal. Being young we'd like him to stick around a long time but it's not like he's showing he'll be a future star just yet.

I just don't see anyone offering a top 20 pick for him on exposed form.

If he was more highly rated I think he'd attract massive overs rather than just a pretty good deal. Being young we'd like him to stick around a long time but it's not like he's showing he'll be a future star just yet.

I just don't see anyone offering a top 20 pick for him on exposed form.

Thats not your problem though unless you want him gone...

I sort of agree with you.

But I assume Petrol as a 2nd year player will be on about $250 000, much like Kelly at Geelong.
Would've got a bump for next year but obviously nothing near $600 000.

But being under contract gives the club the upper hand.

At the end of the day, it will be how much the club rates him I guess and what they would accept.
And also how keen he is to move to Victoria.

Not even remotely close to being worth a first round pick. 18 goals in 20 games, please.

One thing worth keeping in mind, with the current NGA rules the way they are, we should be very much into future picks.

He’d kick a lot more in your side. Not bad considering he’s competing for goals against Kennedy, Darling, Ryan, Cripps, Rioli, Allen and now Cameron.

It’s interesting in this circumstance- if the rumours true and he is being offered big money on a long term deal- it really then falls on the club offering to put up a good deal, especially when the player is under contract.

You can’t go to player and say “we really want you to play for us, here’s an offer of $$$” and then proceed to be difficult to negotiate with, it doesn’t leave a great impression on the player, who in most cases won’t want to leave on bad terms.

Now WC are usually fairly reasonable when it comes to trading out- if he said he really wanted out if you came to us with a pick in the late teens to mid twenties pick, we’d probably do it.

He isn’t worth anything higher at this point of his career, and he could well have a breakout year next year and command that sort of price even as an uncontracted footballer.

Ironically I reckon you took Tom Cole at that compo pick, and he has played about a dozen more games since then than Scooter.

There is 0 chance hes getting a first round pick come on...

Hes a 2nd rounder and even that is slightly overs. He is quick but he is a very raw prospect. Would assume we would use him as a pressure fwd with hopefully some expansion to a wing position with some more refinement to his game

Remove this Banner Ad

Back