Autopsy Freo Owned by Dogs - Rd 19, 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

It's got to be raised doesn't it.

Let me first stay I love Mundy and always have. But he has not been a 4 quarter player all season. Even when he was influencing in a bigger way earlier in the season, he would take a quarter or so to get going, then would be prime at significant moments for us - so that's a sign in itself.

On top of that, what little defensive side that he did have has disappeared all together. He was a liability in the midfield today. If he didn't have ball in hand, he was reacting slowly not able to land anything resembling a tackle and generally just watching the game. It's never been a strong suit, but it was on another level bad today I thought - so with that, when he's not on and able to find the ball, he's got not much else to offer.

I think if the team overall is humming he has a spot in the team, but yeah, it's a fair question to be asking no doubt.

His first 8 or so games was very good. At that point he easily had another year in him, but it has just as quickly hit him hard. Thought he was sensational against the Swans in Fyfe's absence.

He can't play midfield again if he goes on next year. Can he distribute off half back or play that lead up forward role again?

Tough call. Would hate to see him go one more year and just fade away into obscurity. Feels like this year would make sense.

Very tough call.

Brayshaw was brilliant, Cerra looked composed in the (limited) midfield time he got. Fyfe below his best but toiled.

Struggling to find much more than that to take out of it tbh. The frustrating thing is that we've clearly got the pieces on the board to get there, but the complete unwillingness by Ross (and management more broadly) to address the issues preventing us from getting there.

Skills - poor ball use and goalkicking have been central to all our losses this year, but clearly aren't being treated as a priority.
Fitness - we've got (close to) the worst injury list in the competition and we aren't fit enough to sustain the Senior Coaches' preferred structure and gameplan.

This has shades of late-era Harvey all over it; no structure, players looking lost on field, shitty injury management and the wheels by and large falling off completely.

Ross has either lost the playing group, or has a complete unwillingness to see the deficiencies in the current plan. No point sacking him with six rounds to go, but if Belly isn't making some sort of behind the scenes overtures to someone like a Longmuir or Ratten I'll be incredibly disappointed.

If they're not willing to pay him out, they need to gut the Strength/Conditioning, current assistants panel and recruiting at the bare minimum.

Too early to call. Appreciate you said “right now” so assume you are having an each way bet.
Yeah, you have to rate these choices over several years. You draft for a career, not a season.

For the record though, right now, I think poor development more than poor recruiting. After last year I expected more than what we have seen this year.

Ugh that was depressing. That last minute and a half of the first quarter was absolutely disgraceful. From missing a chance to tie the game up to being down 4 goals in the blink of a eye gave them some serious momentum.

Had an absolute flog of a Dogs supporter sat across the aisle from me as well which made matters even worse.

His first 8 or so games was very good. At that point he easily had another year in him, but it has just as quickly hit him hard. Thought he was sensational against the Swans in Fyfe's absence.

He can't play midfield again if he goes on next year. Can he distribute off half back or play that lead up forward role again?

Tough call. Would hate to see him go one more year and just fade away into obscurity. Feels like this year would make sense.

Very tough call.

A big part of winning and near winning ways earlier in the season was because Mundy was providing engine room grunt. Probably no accident that our drop in form has also coenciced with his lack of output.

I guess we can take the next few weeks to get a final read on him. Thing is, last season we needed him as a fwd but, in theory at least, we've got Tabs, Hogan, Lobb and McCarthy who should all be pushing him out of there. Defensively he just doesn't seem to have that sort of game in him any more ... but maybe.

Perhaps we get Wilson out of there because he's doing sweet nothing anyway, get him right for next season and play Mundy in his sort of position for a while to see how it goes. And/or with Blakely as well; Mundy play his role and let Blakely learn the craft of playing mid for majority of the game. Then everybody will have an idea if that might work.

A big part of winning and near winning ways earlier in the season was because Mundy was providing engine room grunt. Probably no accident that our drop in form has also coenciced with his lack of output.

I guess we can take the next few weeks to get a final read on him. Thing is, last season we needed him as a fwd but, in theory at least, we've got Tabs, Hogan, Lobb and McCarthy who should all be pushing him out of there. Defensively he just doesn't seem to have that sort of game in him any more ... but maybe.

Perhaps we get Wilson out of there because he's doing sweet nothing anyway, get him right for next season and play Mundy in his sort of position for a while to see how it goes. And/or with Blakely as well; Mundy play his role and let Blakely learn the craft of playing mid for majority of the game. Then everybody will have an idea if that might work.

Somebody has to do fricken something cos this sh*t is not working. But nobody will.

But really, if we had Hogan, Taberner, Pearce and Stephen Hill who didn’t breakdown every 2 games he plays + a fit ruckman who isn’t Sandi, then chuck in some decent depth, we’d be laughing. 🤪

Somebody has to do fricken something cos this sh*t is not working. But nobody will.

But really, if we had Hogan, Taberner, Pearce and Stephen Hill who didn’t breakdown every 2 games he plays + a fit ruckman who isn’t Sandi, then chuck in some decent depth, we’d be laughing. 🤪
The thing is that the last 4 seasons we have had players out.

All teams get injuries but we just don’t have the depth to cover outs.

Hogan and Pearce replacing Duiman and Sandilands could have made it interesting.

Thanks mate. Sadly you might get a mod insinuating you are a WC supporter if you make these sort of comments, but don’t let that deter you from sticking by them. A change needs to happen and it’s good more and more people are waking up to that.

As for the actual game, what more to say? Sign Brayshaw up for many years.

So you're having a go at Taylor

You are such a sook

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree with getting Mundy back. If Hodge can still play a defensive role along with Rich who is hardly a speed demon in the one team, then Mundy should be able to fulfill that role.
He is still a good kick & spreads well on turnover, half back seems a natural progression & his experience will be needed, particularly if Hill/s, Langdon leave & others retire, bringing in more rookies to the list.

Last edited:
For some reason I decided to watch the replay to really ruin my Sunday. Only conclusion is that this club is, sadly, and absolute mess again. Players look a mixture of confused, disinterested and completely spent. Hard to see us miraculously coming good next year. Eagles last rebuilds 2008-10 and they re emerged in 2011. Then 2013-14 and they re-emerged in 2015. Yet we are 3 or 4tears in and look so far off that it’s not funny. At least the club will be forced to act if the last few rounds are as bad as today.

For some reason I decided to watch the replay to really ruin my Sunday. Only conclusion is that this club is, sadly, and absolute mess again. Players look a mixture of confused, disinterested and completely spent. Hard to see us miraculously coming good next year. Eagles last rebuilds 2008-10 and they re emerged in 2011. Then 2013-14 and they re-emerged in 2015. Yet we are 3 or 4tears in and look so far off that it’s not funny. At least the club will be forced to act if the last few rounds are as bad as today.
I'm not suggesting we are on the cusp of anything, but using your own example it took the Eagles 10 years from start of rebuild to the flag. That gives us 6 more years to win one.

I know emotions are running high but geez people aren't looking at this remotely objectively.

I'm not suggesting we are on the cusp of anything, but using your own example it took the Eagles 10 years from start of rebuild to the flag. That gives us 6 more years to win one.

I know emotions are running high but geez people aren't looking at this remotely objectively.
Of course the difference being they were preliminary finalists in 2011. And we are getting pumped by everyone. Surely you see that?

Of course the difference being they were preliminary finalists in 2011. And we are getting pumped by everyone. Surely you see that?
Unless you can demonstrate either a linear progression of all rebuild teams (which obviously you can't because that's not how it works) or that you must be a prelim finalist 6 years before winning a flag (which I can think of one off the top of my head that wasn't) it is completely irrelevant.

Every club is different. Every list is extremely different. We will take our own path and if you go looking for correlation to completely irrelevant examples you will find disappointment, but zero information.

As silly and obvious as it sounds, there's still truth to what you're saying.

When it comes to Mundy, he's quality topper now, not the sort of player we should be nor can be relying on.

It’s completely irrelevant to look at how other clubs have done it and compare it to our own? In a sporting competition where you win by beating other clubs? So you are happy with the progress we have shown over the last 3/4 years?

Jesus.
No I specifically said it is irrelevant to just look at results of another club from upwards of 10 years ago, whom entire setup is completely different to ours and use that as a benchmark. In fact, I'll go further and say it is outright ridiculous and simplistic to use that as any sort guide.

If you actually knew the internal workings of both clubs you could certainly make recommendations based on what worked for them contrasted against what doesn't work for us. I'm going to go out on a limb and say you have are not privy to that information.

You argument literally boils down to "they are good, we should be good". If you actually think you know the problems, call the club and enlighten them. I am sure you'd be the first fan who thinks he knows it all to tell them as much.

The thing is that the last 4 seasons we have had players out.

All teams get injuries but we just don’t have the depth to cover outs.

Hogan and Pearce replacing Duiman and Sandilands could have made it interesting.
True true, but that’s also why I added ‘and throw in some decent depth’. But it’s also the positions those blokes play that are season-killing.

No I specifically said it is irrelevant to just look at results of another club from upwards of 10 years ago, whom entire setup is completely different to ours and use that as a benchmark. In fact, I'll go further and say it is outright ridiculous and simplistic to use that as any sort guide.

If you actually knew the internal workings of both clubs you could certainly make recommendations based on what worked for them contrasted against what doesn't work for us. I'm going to go out on a limb and say you have are not privy to that information.

You argument literally boils down to "they are good, we should be good". If you actually think you know the problems, call the club and enlighten them. I am sure you'd be the first fan who thinks he knows it all to tell them as much.
I (and a few others) have done longer and more detailed posts earlier this year looking at rebuilds and how they work out. And a successful rebuild generally does not look much like Fremantle’s 2016-19 period. As you point out, not all rebuilds are the same but the successful ones generally don’t show such limited improvement year to year, particularly while continuing to play fairly experienced players.

I believe that your original point was that many of our posts were lacking “objectivity” or something along those lines. Well then I’d be interested in your Objective assessment our club. Are you happy with where it’s at?

And as for your suggestion to call the club? I have kids, run a law firm and have 3 board positions, so no thanks. I’m busy enough and am not an expert on footy administration. But I do enjoy posting on big footy from time to time, a discussion board about footy. So thanks for the discussion.

As silly and obvious as it sounds, there's still truth to what you're saying.

When it comes to Mundy, he's quality topper now, not the sort of player we should be nor can be relying on.
Kinda (but not entirely) tongue-in-cheek. But as they say ‘in jest there is often truth’.

Loved that we played Fyfe forward to begin with. But the midfield we went with. Wtf. Conca, Walters, Brayshaw. Really? Against Bonts, Macrae and Dunkley.
Why isn’t Blakely in there? Nor Cerra? No wonder we got smashed. Hate the fact we cant throw Fyfe forward and not at least break even. He came back into the middle and it was too late.

Tucker. What a start to the season he had. Then like nearly 30 players, his role changed? Huge drop off. So many players have at the same time. I don’t know. Just crap

Remove this Banner Ad

Back