Past Jordan "I don’t think Sydney fans should be nervous at all" Dawson: Grand Theft Completed, traded 2021 to Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

But I don’t see anything about him now, in the AFL, that suggests he’d contribute more in the midfield than where he has been playing. He was one of our best players last week playing on the arc, now apparently he doesn’t belong there?

He rarely drifted fwd of HB yesterday. Possibly he was suffering from the knocks he received.

He rarely drifted fwd of HB yesterday. Possibly he was suffering from the knocks he received.

Yes, he was one of at least half a dozen Swans who was forced to play out of position a little because of our structures being out of whack. But if you look at Dawson’s game against the Suns, it’s exactly what we’re crying for out of defence. I’ve always said if you are gonna play off the half back, you’ve gotta be either lightning quick (like Saad or Williams) or have a long deep boot (like Brodie Smith or Hurn). Dawson is not blessed with the former, but he is blessed with the latter.

He has time and space on half back to put it to good use. Throw him in stoppages, and his kick-to-handball ratio becomes a LOT more even, and half of his kicks will be under so much pressure that you just won’t see that raking left boot at it’s best. How is that a good thing for Dawson or for the team?

So did Dan Robinson and Jordan Foote.
Not sure how meaningful it is.

And Dawson was an inside mid in the NEAFL. Throw him on the inside in the best 22 and we can kiss his left boot goodbye cause he’ll never be using it. At least never to do anything more than 20 metre clearing kicks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hope they keep him playing the role he has of late.

Much similar to the Malceski role , that interception with setting up plays of HB with there kicking abilities.
They seem to look for him much like they did with Mal to distribute.

Imo he has huge up side and we talk about Heeney and that more it seems

He is much more adaptable than Mal. After Buddy, Ramps and JPK he is our most influential player. IMO he has overtaken Mills, Heeney, Papley etc as the leader of the next generation. Forget the game last year but I can recall him taking a difficult set shot near the boundary beyond the 50. He waved off leads and told all he was taking the shot. He dobbed it of course.

Any with one of them are in the mould of Mal?

didnt say they were , just that we already have a lot down there and we have holes in the middle

i dont think dawson is like malceski either, a beautiful kick i agree there,

certainly looks great down there but he is a great player also looked handy forward, will be good anywhere

didnt say they were , just that we already have a lot down there and we have holes in the middle

i dont think dawson is like malceski either, a beautiful kick i agree there,

certainly looks great down there but he is a great player also looked handy forward, will be good anywhere

Each to there own

I think he intercepts luke Mal amd they use him to distribute like Mal.

Not sure he is the inside bull that some think

We need him on the outside using it not hack kicks from congestion

Each to there own

i see where you are coming from dont get me wrong

just get frustrated these guys never get into the midfield even for a few weeks, end up with slow,plodders who cant kick in there

i see where you are coming from dont get me wrong

just get frustrated these guys never get into the midfield even for a few weeks, end up with slow,plodders who cant kick in there
Mal also used to rotate from hb to wing like Dawson is doing now

He seems his most damaging in this role imo

Each to there own

He reads the play like McVeigh and can play inside or out because of this. Unlike Mal he is a good contested mark, currently on par with Reid and McCartin.

Suspect he will cop tags next year and it will be interesting to see how he adapts to that. IMO he will be hard to match up on, wherever he plays, because of his footy IQ and size.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back