Opinion Who are the League's most UNDERRATED Players?

Remove this Banner Ad

Tom Barrass stands out to me, been understated quality almost since debut. His rising star game was eye-catching, and been happy as McGov's effective no.2 man ever since.

McCluggage is still barely known in some circles, rapidly becoming a superstar. If the Lions is just Hodge, Neale, Zorko, Robinson, Rich, Cameron, maybe Andrews & Hipwood to you, then McCluggage is definitely your man. Entered 2019 as one of my favourite players, and his season to date has confirmed him as my new favourite player. Berry & Lyons are also excellent, but McClug is just something else.

Last edited:

Lachie Neale.

Yes he is rated highly. But not highly enough imo.

If anything, I think he has become (slightly) overrated.

I think Alex Sexton often gets overlooked playing for The Suns, but has turned into a very fine player.

Sam Walsh.

Putting up the same numbers as mids with 6/7 years in the system at one of the poorer performed sides in the comp.

Bashed for his professionalism and perceived lack of ceiling despite already reaching heights many new draftees may never consistently see. Gun.

But But Sydney Stack. But....

Agreed.

Too many people are naming their favourite underappreciated stars

I have never ever heard a bad word said about Harris Andrews, Lachie Neale, Jack Macrae, Kade Simpson, Dylan Grimes, Sam Walsh, Hopper, McLuggage and Sheppard. Just because these guys aren't mentioned in the same breath as Dustin Martin and Paddy Dangerfield, it doesn't mean they're underrated.

Sam Walsh was the number 1 draft pick and he is the unbackable Rising Star favourite - he is the most hyped 1st year player in the AFL
How is that underrated? :rolleyes:

Harris Andrews is the consensus 1st picked defender for the All Australian team
Lachie Neale is one of the Brownlow favourites
Grimes is Richmond's most acclaimed player outside of their Fab Four Fab Five
Macrae is generally acknowledged as the Bulldogs best player after Bont
McLuggage - number 3 pick in the 2016 draft who taken a couple of seasons to get going, but acknowledged as having an outstanding year
Sheppard - considered by many people to be unlucky to miss the All Australian team last season

Kade Simpson is a tricky one - I think he is rated correctly by most people who follow the game - but all the accolades seem to have eluded him in his 300 game career. It hasn't helped that he played for mostly terrible teams and coverage of Carlton has mostly been concentrated on superstars Judd, Fevola and Cripps.

Last edited:
Hawthorn's most underrated player is James Frawley. He is actually a decent full back who can be relied upon to nullify all the big name key forwards. But most people (including many Hawthorn fans) think he is a hack. Maybe not in the Top 5 key defenders, but he is definitely one of the more reliable stoppers in the comp who has good wheels and doesn't get too many kicked on him.

He is not the most gifted player with the ball - he can make the odd blue, but he's actually used the ball a bit better than normal this season. Playing nearly every weekend has helped him. He didn't have a lot of continuity in previous years, often getting injured and missing chunks of the season.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brad Sheppard easily - I cringe when he gets left off the ‘Won the flag without Naitanui and Gaff...’ spiel. He’s probably the best of his type in the league - great one on one, great mark, great on the rebound, reliable kick, good looking rooster with a hot missus. What’s not to like about Brad?

He can’t help being closely related to the Marsh Brothers.

Nathan Brown, has been sensational this year, esp. when you consider he's had to help 2 new KPP player in Battle and Wilke, rarely gets a mention but very very rarely beaten.

Yes was going to say Gardiner. Or even our entire back line minus Harris. A Hawks fan posted before the game that our defense sans Harris is not that good. Lets just ignore Hodge, Rich in AA form, Gardiner,Witherden and emerging guns in Bailey and Answerth
Jarryd Lyons:

55 games in 6 seasons for the Crows, traded to Gold Coast for pick 43
37 games for the Suns and then delisted last year :huh:

He has been great pick up

Remove this Banner Ad

Back