Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn, Chad Wingard. 200 games! Signed to the end of 2024

Aug 31, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Nuggets
He looks a fair bit leaner than he did at the start of the season.

If you watch the replay of the Geelong game you'll see how smooth he was moving across the ground, and in particular his repeated short-burst efforts. That indicates to me that his fitness has improved, along with the obvious fact he was in the middle more.

Also note how clean and quick he is with his hands in contested situations, which along with his vision makes for a dangerous midfield combination.

CHUBBSS

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
He looks a fair bit leaner than he did at the start of the season.

If you watch the replay of the Geelong game you'll see how smooth he was moving across the ground, and in particular his repeated short-burst efforts. That indicates to me that his fitness has improved, along with the obvious fact he was in the middle more.

Also note how clean and quick he is with his hands in contested situations, which along with his vision makes for a dangerous midfield combination.
I dont believe his fitness improved but his training and conditioning changed. Clarko said they tried to mould him into the cyril role which was explosive and that came with issues.

We are starting to see the fruits of continued training for the midfield spot and floating forward. what is suprising is how well he has gelled into the hawthorn system and midfield. Super rare and very hard to do!

Aug 31, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Nuggets
I dont believe his fitness improved but his training and conditioning changed. Clarko said they tried to mould him into the cyril role which was explosive and that came with issues.

We are starting to see the fruits of continued training for the midfield spot and floating forward. what is suprising is how well he has gelled into the hawthorn system and midfield. Super rare and very hard to do!

He was even giving instructions to Jaeger and Shiels when we were setting up.

badgrill

Premiership Player
Jul 20, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
That duck & weave he did just near the 50.

Smooth operator
MqpaImGTmWudO.gif

Mar 23, 2007
Where Premiership dreams are made...
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man U, Canucks and 49ers
It always seems that at Hawthorn a trade/FA entering our system spends the first year getting used to our systems and fitness approach. 2019 is purely the warm up and cannot wait to see what he does next year. Super glad Chad is being groomed for midfield minutes.

burner1

Premiership Player
Nov 3, 2005
victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
hawks
He’s starting to find some form and fitness in the midfield but not sure how he fits into our midfield next year (that made him a must have acquisition).

He’s super clean inside and a good decision maker, but while hard at the ball a bit underbodied and while super clever in his movements is not dynamic/explosive (ie not Cyril, impey or danger like) and his footskills have only been good (but may get better - but certainly not elite like eg Whitfield). Not sure on his tank.

With Mitchell back and add potentially cogs we’re not short of players who are super clean inside (chad clearly behind Mitchell, JOM, cogs and worpel for an inside role + shiels as a two way mid).

We need either a big inside bull or breakaway speed with class - and he’s not either. Just seems at present we paid up big for a player who currently may be our 6th best mid in 2020 if all pans out. And yes you need midfield depth - but we also needed talent in other parts of the ground.

Hope I’m proven wrong and he’s picking up 30 and 3 goals every game next year.

SuperSic

All Australian
Oct 16, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
He’s starting to find some form and fitness in the midfield but not sure how he fits into our midfield next year (that made him a must have acquisition).

He’s super clean inside and a good decision maker, but while hard at the ball a bit underbodied and while super clever in his movements is not dynamic/explosive (ie not Cyril, impey or danger like) and his footskills have only been good (but may get better - but certainly not elite like eg Whitfield). Not sure on his tank.

With Mitchell back and add potentially cogs we’re not short of players who are super clean inside (chad clearly behind Mitchell, JOM, cogs and worpel for an inside role + shiels as a two way mid).

We need either a big inside bull or breakaway speed with class - and he’s not either. Just seems at present we paid up big for a player who currently may be our 6th best mid in 2020 if all pans out. And yes you need midfield depth - but we also needed talent in other parts of the ground.

Hope I’m proven wrong and he’s picking up 30 and 3 goals every game next year.

He will be back in the forward line next year. As Clarko said only last week, he is purely playing in the midfield at the moment because it presents a lower risk of soft tissue injuries. Once the club reconditions him over the pre-season, his body will be better prepared for the explosive small forward role and he will go back there.

The lack of explosiveness you see may also be because the club have instructed him not to use it yet, for the same reasons outlined above.

I forgot you are on the Wingerz train with him, he didn't even have the commitment to do Grinnerz though
Scrimmers and Wingers head to Dingers and make us grinners?

HawkAbroad

Rookie
Jun 6, 2008
New York
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I was really disappointed in the trade when we first made it as I really liked Burton, but Wingard has really won me over, and gives me that Cyril feeling.
One thing that that really surprised me is how hard he goes at it, and all the 1% plays. he always seems to be right around it, and is a 1/4 step from breaking away.
I think he could blow away all expectations next year.

He’s looking a lot better in the midfield than he is when he’s playing forward. Really hoping he can get continuity in his game next season as sadly this season has predominantly been a write off.
hard to look good in our forward line at the moment though

Nov 13, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I follow Chad on instagram.
He seems a very family oriented fella and invests deeply in his personal relationships.

I can see why he didn't fit into a tinpot club of tiprats who have now chased out two of their most talented players of the last 15 years.
Perhaps it's just a coincidence that they're both indigenous players and of outstanding character.

If they've got any other players of good character and immense talent, I hope we continue taking them off their hands!

Back