Player Watch #41: Mabior Chol - FA to GC

Remove this Banner Ad

Not only has he been good around the ground but his set shot kicking is beautiful. So much to work with especially given how young he is in Ruck/KPP terms.

Massive selection headaches coming up especially given Soldo has improved every single week he has been in the team.

Pretty classy as a big man and prior to that he smashed the ruck tap away from Grundy.
I've got a feeling about Chol as a an overall player and not just a ruck.
What feeling?!?
Jeez in all my time of watching footy that is one of the best side steps i have ever seen! And by a big bloke on the run too!
You can see it caught the oppo completely off guard...ends up in a heap on the ground...that's how good a side step it was!
Generally the oppo are waiting for it this oppo got caught beautifully!
Chol did it soooooo smoothly i've watched and re-watched that side step he must just leave it to the last split second to shift off line, any later gone!
Just a slight turn of the head to register the oppo player coming in, no agitated body language...just a slight shift and as you were, he's off again!!!
clapping.gif clapping.gif

But but but but Balta was our savior?

Chol really looks a natural footballer right now.

And Soldo is no slouch. I dont think Nank is any certainty to just cruise back in.

Played a half unscathed in VFL on the weekend, so, seems certainty, that’s usually what that means

Played a half unscathed in VFL on the weekend, so, seems certainty, that’s usually what that means
I should have been clearer, he shouldnt be able to cruise back in

And Soldo is no slouch. I dont think Nank is any certainty to just cruise back in.
Personally, I would actually love to see a Balta/Chol combo next year given a go, even if just in preseason games to begin with as a look. That would be something the AFL doesn't have, two athletic beasts that move like midfielders working in tandem.

I have cooled a bit on Nank recently.
Balta will be a fine player if he can convert his physical potential to game output.

I want to apologise to you for doubting your calls on Chol earlier in the year.

I was heavily in the Balta over Chol camp but this last month Chol has really held his own and fit in well!

I was heavily in the Balta over Chol camp but this last month Chol has really held his own and fit in well!

Thanks mate, appreciate it.

Same here. I was positive Chol wouldn't make it, but hes been terrific and shown real flashes of brilliance.

Credit to the club in playing Balta. Unfortunately he was thrown into too many positions. And just didn't get involved enough at the end. Fitness? I don't know. But heaps to work with in 2020. As a tall winger replacing Kmac or Brando I hope. Chol's consistency has been great for the team. While he maintains his pinch hitting in the ruck & smarts up fwd, he will keep Caddy out of the fwd line.(maybe its Caddy for Cotch) His attributes have meshed perfectly with Soldo's. Nank/Chol I think will be the ruck combo when Nank is fit. But if Chol's form drops maybe we see a Nank/Soldo combo. One way or the other I don't think we'll see a JR or Broad pinch hitting in the ruck.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I too doubted Mabs. Now I see him as a (potentially) amazing second ruck/forward/ruck rover. Just his pure size and speed and agility causes the opposition to second guess themselves sometimes. So even if he doesn't do anything as such he causes problems. I don't think he'll ever be a first ruck. But he adds so much flexibility to the team.

How loaded are we for quality talls right now.

Balta's achillies heel was the clumsy free kicks he would give away

in the last 2 VFL games that habit has repeated

if he doesn't fix that to some degree the likes of Soldo , Chol , Garthwaite, CCJ and Ben Miller will go past him

so you've changed camps. no procrastination allowed.:)

Chol has won be over at this stage.

He just seems to have a bit more footy smarts about him which helps the team. That no doubt comes from being in the system for a bit longer than Balta.

I still think Balta can / will make it though.

He just seems to have a bit more footy smarts about him which helps the team. That no doubt comes from being in the system for a bit longer than Balta.

Both have the ability o be genuine talls, and fast powerful mids. That's a rare combo. And to have 2 of them is pretty cool.

Who is writing Balta off? He’ll be a far better player than Chol in the long run.

Who is writing Balta off? He’ll be a far better player than Chol in the long run.
No one I hope!

Was just adding that I still reckon he will make it in the long run despite having a way to go to form a more rounded game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back