Analysis Coaching discussion 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

We also finished 4th for quarters won which is staggering until you read we were 16th for first quarters and dead last from the 10 minute mark to quarter time in score differential.

As someone else said on here that will come with trust and experience with the zone. It seems they are all told to make as many contests as you can but there needs to be an awareness where by if you see that Tmac is close enough to spoil then everyone else need to find a man on the ground and get goal side.

I think Goodwin needa to learn that just having large numbers around our 50 doesn't equal $$

It makes it ******* hard for us to score and doesn't work when half your forwards couldn't get a tackle in a fishing store.

Well we seem to bomb it long and hope to win the clearance kick back with a high press rather than with pressure inside the 50.

The plan can be a success but I'm not sure we have the right personal to enact it. Pressing that high up the ground makes Hogan redundant because it gives him no space and he's not a particularly good pack mark due to his lack of height.

So question,
Do we need to radically change our game style? We want to be a fast ball moving high scoring team yet we have recruited a bunch of grunt inside ball winners. Should we be changing our game style to reflect the Sydney game plan more which is stoppage based 1 on 1 defending and winning 80-60 rather than 100-80?

We wanna play like bombers yet our recruiting says we can't? Thoughts?

A bunch of my quotes from 2017, may aswell change it , 2018

"We've been kicking long down the line to a contest for half the game - a strategy which was nullified by teams back in 2011 when Malthouse used it to win the 2010 premiership - to no effect, what shall we do in the second half instead?".

"No idea! Let's just keep doing that I guess".

1) I think we press up too high and spend too much emphasis (energy) on locking it into our forward 50 for long periods without reward.

We need more balance, and set up slightly further down the ground so we aren’t caught on the counter and can occasionally counter attack/sling shot ourselves.

2) We don’t have any lateral running or ball movement and are too congested at stoppages.

An Andrew Gaff would be great, but I think players like Stretch, Brayshaw, Salem, Vince, ANB, Kent, Harmes and Bugg need to be providing more outside and lateral options for us to use in transition.

I’m not blaming those players - I think they need to be coached to improve ourselves in this area.

1) I think we press up too high and spend too much emphasis (energy) on locking it into our forward 50 for long periods without reward.

We need more balance, and set up slightly further down the ground so we aren’t caught on the counter and can occasionally counter attack/sling shot ourselves.

2) We don’t have any lateral running or ball movement and are too congested at stoppages.

An Andrew Gaff would be great, but I think players like Stretch, Brayshaw, Salem, Vince, ANB, Kent, Harmes and Bugg need to be providing more outside and lateral options for us to use in transition.

I’m not blaming those players - I think they need to be coached to improve ourselves in this area.
No point recruiting these players with our game plan, for sure

So basically Goodwin is Neeld without inheriting a roaring bin fire of a club? Because as far as I can see it’s been the same s**t going on for three years and the fact he has done nothing to fix it says that he is a dumb, stubborn *******.

Yeah I was wondering how this compares with Neelds first season (4 wins I think)

Much better list to start with for Goody

Yeah I was wondering how this compares with Neelds first season (4 wins I think)

Much better list to start with for Goody

Goody has a better list, but you can’t compare the way Neeld and Goodwin have conducted themselves as coach.

In 2012 2 wins came against GWS their first year in the afl. And one against GC.

Our percentage that year was 67%

I know it’s a low bar to jump over and this year has been a disgrace but we aren’t near the 2012 days under Neeld.

Goody has a better list, but you can’t compare the way Neeld and Goodwin have conducted themselves as coach.

In 2012 2 wins came against GWS their first year in the afl. And one against GC.

Our percentage that year was 67%

I know it’s a low bar to jump over and this year has been a disgrace but we aren’t near the 2012 days under Neeld.

I was thinking more of the vibe of the season. It feels the same - the loss of hope. It’s not the conduct I was comparing more the performance / ineptitude

Like watching my little ponies get eaten by a shark or something

EDIT: our percentage is 80 and we beat Gold Coast this year so not that different

EDIT: we beat hawthorn so that counts for something I do really hate their supporters

I was thinking more of the vibe of the season. It feels the same - the loss of hope. It’s not the conduct I was comparing more the performance / ineptitude

Like watching my little ponies get eaten by a shark or something

EDIT: our percentage is 80 and we beat Gold Coast this year so not that different

EDIT: we beat hawthorn so that counts for something I do really hate their supporters
It’s not even vaguely comparable. We’ve been in a chance to win every game this year and we’ve had constant injury issues. 2012 and 2013 were both entirely different prospects.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but i wonder why the MFC was so one-eyed at the time on appointing a young coach only recently out of the game like Goody, Dew or Cameron Ling to be Roosys successor. Maybe we might have been better served getting a more seasoned vet like Ratten or a Fagan in under Roosy to really round them out as a senior coach. perhaps then we wouldnt be experiencing the dramatic drop off we are now

It’s not even vaguely comparable. We’ve been in a chance to win every game this year and we’ve had constant injury issues. 2012 and 2013 were both entirely different prospects.

It’s the definition of vaguely comparable (wins, percentage, malaise of the club, questionable appointments, position on the ladder ..) 🙂

Agree though on further inspection - many more chances to win this year, albeit with a far superior list

I asked myself this earlier in the year in a moment of alcohol driven despair - would our 2012 team had a chance against this team. I thought if we played 10 times 2012 might have won 2-3

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but i wonder why the MFC was so one-eyed at the time on appointing a young coach only recently out of the game like Goody, Dew or Cameron Ling to be Roosys successor. Maybe we might have been better served getting a more seasoned vet like Ratten or a Fagan in under Roosy to really round them out as a senior coach. perhaps then we wouldnt be experiencing the dramatic drop off we are now
I remember posting that Ratten would be worth a look at the time Roosy was choosing his successor. But somehow it came to be that Roosy needed a blank canvass to paint on so that ruled out experienced coaches. If Goody can't turn this around, Roosy deserves his right whack.

It’s the definition of vaguely comparable (wins, percentage, malaise of the club, questionable appointments, position on the ladder ..) 🙂

Agree though on further inspection - many more chances to win this year, albeit with a far superior list

I asked myself this earlier in the year in a moment of alcohol driven despair - would our 2012 team had a chance against this team. I thought if we played 10 times 2012 might have won 2-3
2012 beat a roided up Essendon which had only lost one of its first 9 games (ANZAC day by 1 point). Mitch Clark was such a Star *

2012 beat a roided up Essendon which had only lost one of its first 9 games (ANZAC day by 1 point). Mitch Clark was such a Star fu**

Yeah that win for 2012 was like 2019s hawthorn win LOL

That was such a great game though v Essendon

Mitch Clarke could have been anything i reckon what a gun, what a waste

Yeah that win for 2012 was like 2019s hawthorn win LOL

That was such a great game though v Essendon

Mitch Clarke could have been anything i reckon what a gun, what a waste
Was that the same game that Col Garland went forward and kicked a few? I remember getting texts from mates I hadn’t heard in a while after that win, we were that bad and it was that unexpected hah.

The Age website has an article about Melbourne chasing Alan Richardson. Id be very happy with him as senior assistant
Why in particular?

He didn't exactly light it up at the Saints

The Age website has an article about Melbourne chasing Alan Richardson. Id be very happy with him as senior assistant
Why? He's as soulless and uninspiring to listen to as Goody.

If there was any former coach on the market to have a crack at it would be Brad Scott. His north sides out performed their talent almost every season he was in charge

Remove this Banner Ad

Back