Injury Blue Healers Medical Room - 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

McGovern had operations on both ankles and 'broke' a bone in his upper back/neck during pre-season which probably meant he didn't have a pre-season and didn't have the time to get to any level of fitness. An inability to train -probably points to the bloke playing under not only lack of fitness but an underlying level of discomfort/pain - that would make playing at his best or anywhere near his best - a pipe dream.

Given this background - I cant help but feel a lot of criticism and fat jokes about McGovern aren't funny or insightful or even referencing reality.

My take on McGovern is that he has tried his best under extremely difficult circumstances and quite often over delivered given same. Teague is doing the right thing by him and the Club - in getting him fit - just as the medical staff is doing the right thing by Charlie and the Club - by not playing him - despite his wishes.

Nov 8, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
McGovern had operations on both ankles and 'broke' a bone in his upper back/neck during pre-season which probably meant he didn't have a pre-season and didn't have the time to get to any level of fitness. An inability to train -probably points to the bloke playing under not only lack of fitness but an underlying level of discomfort/pain - that would make playing at his best or anywhere near his best - a pipe dream.

Given this background - I cant help but feel a lot of criticism and fat jokes about McGovern aren't funny or insightful or even referencing reality.

My take on McGovern is that he has tried his best under extremely difficult circumstances and quite often over delivered given same. Teague is doing the right thing by him and the Club - in getting him fit - just as the medical staff is doing the right thing by Charlie and the Club - by not playing him - despite his wishes.
Disagree, although I'll acknowledge we can't be sure, just have the discussion.

1) Firstly, we know that his brother was a chubbster too. The McGoverns appear to have slower metabolism than other AFL players and probably love the food. Can almost guarantee he'll look like Fev 2-3 years after retirement. Knowing Jeremy turned it around, it's no excuse to get fat for Mitch.

2) Secondly, maybe it's not his fault that he was played while not properly fit, but the Teague/Russell call for him to go through the conditioning block should have happened as soon as he needed it, it was simply left too late.

3) Thirdly, we are all human and once we receive a big payday, there's a tendency to sit back and get a bit lazier. For others it spurs them on, but there's a reason that there's spikes in performance in a contract year.

4) Fourthly, IMO the McGoverns are drama queens. I have no doubt that his early injuries were legitimate and serious. But the in-game niggles etc that happen with him and Jeremy (who is one of my oppo favourite players) cause them to act like it's the worst thing in the world. How many times have we seen them go down or go off in pain for the slightest knock or fall. Only to come back in later on. A bit of acting here. Jeremy against Melbourne on the weekend was a classic example of this.

Conclusion: We have invested too much in terms of cap space and draft assets for McGovern to be risked. Should be gotten right, kept in check re: his chubbness and only played when he's earned it like the rest of the players.

Blue and Blue

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 29, 2018
On the glory road
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Everton

Pretty sure thats exactly what Teague said in the presser.
I don't think he has any reason to start spinning stories.

Disagree, although I'll acknowledge we can't be sure, just have the discussion.

1) Firstly, we know that his brother was a chubbster too. The McGoverns appear to have slower metabolism than other AFL players and probably love the food. Can almost guarantee he'll look like Fev 2-3 years after retirement. Knowing Jeremy turned it around, it's no excuse to get fat for Mitch.

2) Secondly, maybe it's not his fault that he was played while not properly fit, but the Teague/Russell call for him to go through the conditioning block should have happened as soon as he needed it, it was simply left too late.

3) Thirdly, we are all human and once we receive a big payday, there's a tendency to sit back and get a bit lazier. For others it spurs them on, but there's a reason that there's spikes in performance in a contract year.

4) Fourthly, IMO the McGoverns are drama queens. I have no doubt that his early injuries were legitimate and serious. But the in-game niggles etc that happen with him and Jeremy (who is one of my oppo favourite players) cause them to act like it's the worst thing in the world. How many times have we seen them go down or go off in pain for the slightest knock or fall. Only to come back in later on. A bit of acting here. Jeremy against Melbourne on the weekend was a classic example of this.

Conclusion: We have invested too much in terms of cap space and draft assets for McGovern to be risked. Should be gotten right, kept in check re: his chubbness and only played when he's earned it like the rest of the players.

We can find all sorts of reasons to criticise anyone - at this stage I have no reason to question Teague's commentary - especially given the injury background - but yeah it would have been good to have Mitch fit and firing on all cylinders this year.

Nov 8, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
We can find all sorts of reasons to criticise anyone - at this stage I have no reason to question Teague's commentary - especially given the injury background - but yeah it would have been good to have Mitch fit and firing on all cylinders this year.
No-one is questioning him toughing it out to play more games. Of course he's got that competitive edge.

Weight is something he has to take responsibility for though. This is not round 1, we are in round 19.

Even if more running is bad for him, he can still be responsible with his food and do non-contact things like swimming or bike.

Aug 26, 2004
CHANEL BOUTIQUE!
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
"Goddess"

Kennedy - Ankle - should be OK

Fisher - Illness - Available

Kreuzer - Hip Soreness - Test

Cunners - Knee - Test

Kerr - Shoulder (labral tear) - Had surgery today - Season over

Goddard - Cheekbone - Available

O'Dwyer - Shoulder - Test

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jan 27, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
After listening to the human butter menthol Russell, my read is:

MrKennedy - fine from a basic rolled ankle and will play in seniors.

Fish - fine and will come into seniors.

Kruze - another week off. Not quite confident he'll play a full game yet. Next week.

Cunners - On top of things now after some frustration. Will likely play this week in reserves. If he is picked in seniors it is a massive vote of confidence.

Sep 3, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
No McGovern mention is unfortunate.

Hopefully this "training block" leaves him hungry.

Missing out on the last few weeks. Must be hard to watch from the sidelines.

4 games left. I wouldn't be surprised if we we only gave him 1 game for a taste and leave him really hungry to hit the pre season hard.

Let's hope he can slim down over the off season like Levi has and take his game to a whole new level next year.

Aug 16, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
Mcgovern has to be injured so i its weird he doesn't get a mention. If he's not injured then he would be playing 2s, if he's not injured and not playing 2s then something is wrong.

F_therest

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 3, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Mcgovern has to be injured so i its weird he doesn't get a mention. If he's not injured then he would be playing 2s, if he's not injured and not playing 2s then something is wrong.

He was dropped to gain fitness so not an injury...though the reason he dropped fitness is due to previous injuries.

thought the whole conundrum is that he isn't injured or playing..........that's where he's at right now..............

TeeJay Blue

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 11, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
2019 CARLTON FOOTBALL CLUB (SEASON TRACKER) - POST ROUND 19
COMPLETED WITH ACCESSIBLE INFO. FEEL FREE TO NOTIFY ME OF ANY OBVIOUS MISTAKES.

2019 Carlton Football Club (Season Tracker - POST RND 19).jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back