Did Richmond make a mistake drafting (trading for) Dion Prestia?

Remove this Banner Ad

Dion has been obscenely good this year. Look what he can do when he has a full pre-season and no injuries.
If he keeps this form for the next month, he'll be in AA contention.

Dion has been obscenely good this year. Look what he can do when he has a full pre-season and no injuries.
If he keeps this form for the next month, he'll be in AA contention.
Becoming our MVP. And by golly gee his kicking is very good too, penetrating and accurate. Looks a bit lighter than last year

This was my favourite article on the topic.

Richmond trading pick No.6 for Dion Prestia would be a mistake (paywalled)

'RICHMOND would be making a mistake trading pick No.6 for Dion Prestia in an attempt to bounce back quickly into the finals mix next season, according to Port Adelaide’s Kane Cornes.

Cornes said Richmond clearly overrated its list and should follow St Kilda’s plan to rebuild through the draft.

"They seem to think they are a Dion Prestia away from a final series, but I don’t see that at all."

Champion Essendon goalkicker Matthew Lloyd backed Cornes’ assessment said the Tigers should not bring in “any recycled players” this year, including Dion Prestia. Lloyd said the Tigers should keep pick No. 6 and aim higher in the draft.

“Instead of paying someone $600,000 and giving away pick No.6 in the draft, actually take a kid that you pay minimum wage who you hope will be better than Dion Prestia. I think they’re the type of decisions that Richmond have to start making.”

Last edited:

'RICHMOND would be making a mistake trading pick No.6 for Dion Prestia in an attempt to bounce back quickly into the finals mix next season, according to Port Adelaide’s Kane Cornes.

Cornes said Richmond clearly overrated its list and should follow St Kilda’s plan to rebuild through the draft.

"They seem to think they are a Dion Prestia away from a final series, but I don’t see that at all."

Champion Essendon goalkicker Matthew Lloyd backed Cornes’ assessment said the Tigers should not bring in “any recycled players” this year, including Dion Prestia. Lloyd said the Tigers should keep pick No. 6 and aim higher in the draft.

“Instead of paying someone $600,000 and giving away pick No.6 in the draft, actually take a kid that you pay minimum wage who you hope will be better than Dion Prestia. I think they’re the type of decisions that Richmond have to start making.”
🤡🤡 pair of diving clowns Cornes and Lloyd 🤡🤡

I stopped reading at ‘Cornes’.

Delicious.

Top 10 draft pick.
Quickly developed into a 25 disposal, 5 clearance a game midfielder by his 3rd season.
Former club vice captain.
Traded for a top 10 draft pick to a giant Vic club.
Won a premiership and starred throughout the finals, stood up on Grand Final day.

Yet somehow not rated much at all. Injuries, shortness and playing a few years at an invisible club have seen him really fly right under the radar.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hindsight is so much fun

IMO we have two options

- abandon the supposed "Geelong-style" pay hierarchy and stop lowballing potential recruits - open the chequebook and sign 2 or 3 quality players with plenty of miles left on the clock via trade/free agency for an immediate boost, e.g. Prestia
- go to the draft as a fallback position

Carlton put their hat in the ring for Prestia. I can't believe that anyone would seriously claim "bad fit".

How many errors can someone possibly make, when guessing the future? Richmond should follow St Kildas example at rebuilding? Wtf???

How is thread even a thing?

Was always going to be a good trade IMO, and has repaid the Tigs in spades since his arrival. Having said that, it's better for Richmond if he continues to fly under the radar - the way Grimes did before this season - because it means less attention is drawn to stopping him.

Good consistent player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back