Opinion 2020 membership renewal

If Ken remains senior coach will you be renewing for 2020?

• Yes

Votes: 77 48.1%
  • No

Votes: 83 51.9%

• Total voters
Oct 12, 2007
The Hills
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
If Hinkley’s Port Adelaide was a movie franchise, or ‘Cinematic Universe’ in the parlance of our times, would you keep going to see each instalment in theatres?

Same boring, predictable, recycled plot.

Most of the cast are fast becoming loathsome, if not already. The rest are phoning in their performances. Sure there’s a few stars left, but even they’d be wondering what they were thinking when they signed on and would secretly prefer to be elsewhere — and we’re not talking Scorsese and the Coen Bros here, even a turn on daytime tele would be preferable to working under footy’s answer to Tommy Wiseau.

Like sands through the hourglass...

Oct 5, 2006
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
There are no other teams
As I posted in another thread, I emailed the club and cancelled my auto-renew for 3 memberships.

I did receive a response from Matthew Richardson. Among other things, he did finish with saying that he hoped "you'll see some actions that reinforce for you that this is your football club".

We shall see.

Feb 7, 2014
reynella
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chelsea FC , Boston Red Sox/celtics
As I posted in another thread, I emailed the club and cancelled my auto-renew for 3 memberships.

I did receive a response from Matthew Richardson. Among other things, he did finish with saying that he hoped "you'll see some actions that reinforce for you that this is your football club".

We shall see.

Probably just some 150 s**t

Oct 5, 2006
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
There are no other teams
Terrible if true
I'm not going to share the email response, but I didn't like the overall tone. There was an acceptance that I had made some valid points that would be shared, unvetted, with the Board, but to be honest I felt like I was told that I was the one with the problem.

Alberton Proud

Norm Smith Medallist
May 24, 2012
Beachside
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I will give the club until the end of our season approx 4 weeks away

We will then see if KT and the Board really have the balls to "fix the problem"

It's a pity 'cause I like my seats and the people around me

Maybe I'll retain the seats and protest with my feet

It's your call Port

Jun 19, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
If Hinkley is there next year I simply can’t guarantee anything. I genuinely hate going to the football now. It’s worse than a chore.

When push comes to shove I’d say it would be more than likely I will renew, but my attendance at games will no longer be unconditional.

Good weather is forecast for this Saturday so I won’t be staying in to watch the game on television. I’ll be doing other things. And it’s now highly unlikely I’ll not be in attendance at the final two home games.

Sacking Hinkley is the only thing right now that will re-engage me fully with the club. Anything short of that is just window dressing.

Alberton Proud

Norm Smith Medallist
May 24, 2012
Beachside
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The real question should be

How can we force change without risking the future of the club ?

It seems that renewal will give the club the funds they need to operate but not attending will send a strong message of discontent

How insulated is the club from the financial effects of low attendances through our stadium deal ?

RussellEbertHandball ?

Apr 13, 2006
The Bitter End
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
If Hinkley is there next year I simply can’t guarantee anything. I genuinely hate going to the football now. It’s worse than a chore.

When push comes to shove I’d say it would be more than likely I will renew, but my attendance at games will no longer be unconditional.

Good weather is forecast for this Saturday so I won’t be staying in to watch the game on television. I’ll be doing other things. And it’s now highly unlikely I’ll not be in attendance at the final two home games.

Sacking Hinkley is the only thing right now that will re-engage me fully with the club. Anything short of that is just window dressing.

Yep. Most seasons I'd miss 1 maybe 2 home games generally through other commitments. This year I've missed 4. 3 by choice and the other I could have made if I tried. Don't plan on going to the last 2, so that will be 6 games all up. Tend not to get on the cans much any more either.

Jun 19, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Yep. Most seasons I'd miss 1 maybe 2 home games generally through other commitments. This year I've missed 4. 3 by choice and the other I could have made if I tried. Don't plan on going to the last 2, so that will be 6 games all up. Tend not to get on the cans much any more either.

The last game I missed was a game against West Coast in 2009 when I skipped it to attend my old man’s birthday when it was looking like it could be his last. So yeah, I’m not a game skipper by any stretch.

May 3, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC

This x10...it is no longer enjoyable dragging myself to games. Whether it be mainly due to the fact I became a father in the last year and would rather spend time with the little guy or discontent with the club I'm not 100% sure

Cancelling auto renewals is an ideal protest because the protest “leads” revenue damage by several months and allows the club the timeframe to act to avoid the damage.

On iPhone using recycled electrons, via BigFooty.com mobile app

Nov 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I will auto renew but, as I have done for the final part of this year, will give my passes away to others if our game doesn’t become more watchable. I have friends and family who will use my passes, casual followers and neutrals who won’t be devastated by the results of our games.
I don’t want the club to become insignificant, especially as so many have worked incredibly hard to pull us out of the bog, and withholding my membership $$$ would just hasten that demise.
The club knows there is dissatisfaction and are surely trying to rectify things.
I can’t throw the club totally under the bus or NTUA will be meaningless and there are enough anti Port memes ridiculing it as it is.

The real question should be

How can we force change without risking the future of the club ?

It seems that renewal will give the club the funds they need to operate but not attending will send a strong message of discontent

How insulated is the club from the financial effects of low attendances through our stadium deal ?

RussellEbertHandball ?

Here is something a bit radical.

Write a letter to KT and if 10,000+ write something similar to this, it might have an impact.

Dear KT,

I am writing to you as a frustrated member. I do not want to abandon my club, I do not want to dump a truck load of chicken s**t in front of the Port Club, or microwave my membership card, although at times I have considered doing these things and others.

So I am going to change my membership options. I will no longer automatically renew my membership on 17 October and pay in full. I will renew my membership within a couple of days before the cut off day in December, to keep my reserved seat, and will take the 10 installment payment option knowing I have to pay 3 installments in December.

You can live with the frustration of having to deal with the cash flow issues, just like we have to deal with having to rock up to AO and the frustration of having to watch us play dumb football, dominate the stats and bomb the ball inside 50, play too many bloody small forwards, which means the opposition key defenders take lots of intercept marks (McGovern, Rance, Grimes, Davis, Haynes, Harris, Keath, Sicily etc) and we get close, but lose the same way as over a dozen times at AO since 2015 season, when we have been the dominate side on the stats sheet. Then there are the away games that we do the same thing.

I keep hearing Ken and others always say after another failure, we are going to go back and work hard at improving. What is the point of working hard if its not working smart!!

What is the point of working hard and doing the same thing over and over which doesn't change, so the results don't change. As Bert told us a century ago, doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result is the definition of insanity.

As we fans want to see more smart thinking from the club, if enough of us fans cause a cash flow problem for the club, then management have to come up with some smart thinking to handle the cash flow issue. And once you have come up with some smart solutions, maybe you can pass on some of that smart thinking to our coaches, players and football department.

* insert whatever any other issue(s) you want to bring to KT's attention,

With a board that is only 20% elected by members and those two members don't really make themselves available to members, because of a somewhat useless election process of sending out 250 word summary, people don't really know what they are voting for, and having locked in a coach for 2 more years after 4 out of 5 years failing to meet his basic KPI's, this is the only way that I feel I can make a statement which gets through to you and the board, makes some impact, but doesn't mean I abandon my club, whilst the current custodians of this great club are letting us down.

I hope things change substantially in 2020 and I don't have to continue this course of action next year.

Yours Sincerely
REH

I'm sure tribey Lockhart Road and others who have better writing skills than me, can tidy this up and make it a bit more succinct, whilst still making the same point.

Here is something a bit radical.

Write a letter to KT and if 10,000+ write something similar to this, it might have an impact.

Dear KT,

I am writing to you as a frustrated member. I do not want to abandon my club, I do not want to dump a truck load of chicken s**t in front of the Port Club, or microwave my membership card, although at times I have considered doing these things and others.

So I am going to change my membership options. I will no longer automatically renew my membership on 17 October and pay in full. I will renew my membership within a couple of days before the cut off day in December, to keep my reserved seat, and will take the 10 installment payment option knowing I have to pay 3 installments in December.

You can live with the frustration of having to deal with the cash flow issues, just like we have to deal with having to rock up to AO and the frustration of having to watch us play dumb football, dominate the stats and bomb the ball inside 50, play too many bloody small forwards, which means the opposition key defenders take lots of intercept marks (McGovern, Rance, Grimes, Davis, Haynes, Harris, Keath, Sicily etc) and we get close, but lose the same way as over a dozen times at AO since 2015 season, when we have been the dominate side on the stats sheet. Then there are the away games that we do the same thing.

I keep hearing Ken and others always say after another failure, we are going to go back and work hard at improving. What is the point of working hard if its not working smart!!

What is the point of working hard and doing the same thing over and over which doesn't change, so the results don't change. As Bert told us a century ago, doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result is the definition of insanity.

As we fans want to see more smart thinking from the club, if enough of us fans cause a cash flow problem for the club, then management have to come up with some smart thinking to handle the cash flow issue. And once you have come up with some smart solutions, maybe you can pass on some of that smart thinking to our coaches, players and football department.

* insert whatever any other issue(s) you want to bring to KT's attention,

With a board that is only 20% elected by members and those two members don't really make themselves available to members, because of a somewhat useless election process of sending out 250 word summary, people don't really know what they are voting for, and having locked in a coach for 2 more years after 4 out of 5 years failing to meet his basic KPI's, this is the only way that I feel I can make a statement which gets through to you and the board, makes some impact, but doesn't mean I abandon my club, whilst the current custodians of this great club are letting us down.

I hope things change substantially in 2020 and I don't have to continue this course of action next year.

Yours Sincerely
REH

I'm sure tribey Lockhart Road and others who have better writing skills than me, can tidy this up and make it a bit more succinct, whilst still making the same point.

Succinct would be

Dear Keith,

Sack Ken.

Yours,

Frustrated Member

If you prefer a longer version try this,

Dear Keith,

Sack Ken please,

Yours,

Frustrated Member

Alberton Proud

Norm Smith Medallist
May 24, 2012
Beachside
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Letters are great

Sarcasm even greater !

But while a letter might have some impact it is only seen by the intended recipient

A crowd of 15,000 each week seen by every single person who has a passing interest in AFL would have a far, far, far greater impact on influencing change

Hence my question re the effect of low attendances by paid up members on our bottom line through the stadium deal

Cheers

Back