Rumour Shaun Burgoyne to the Suns?

Remove this Banner Ad

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
News broke last night that we're chasing him and offering him a Hodge to Brisbane like deal with two years as a player and two years as a coach. I hope this is true because we could really use someone of his experience/leadership while our young list develops.

What do you guys think?

He'd be an asset to wherever he goes, champion bloke and still a quality player.
I'd love him to finish his career up at the hawks and then transition to an indigenous mentoring role, be it at the Hawks, with the AFL in general or another club.
His qualities as an individual shouldn't be lost to the game when he retires.
If he can help the rabble at the Suns I'm not necessarily against that either.

Yeah, champion bloke and even better player. Had the pleasure of having a chat pre GF 2017 and he was more than happy to talk Richmond among other things. Should not be lost to the game that is for sure.

Suns should probably be chasing a guy closer to his prime for the on field roles? But regardless Silk would be a great asset wherever he goes. You don't last in the game this long without knowing a few things so he can certainly mentor younger (and all) players, indigenous or otherwise.

Is he touted as a future coach? Never really heard him as that guy like S Mitchel was but i don't doubt he could do it, just never really heard it

In terms of playing you'd probably want someone a little younger, but you couldn't ask for a better bloke to mentor young players.

If his form this year is anything to go by, he'll be fine to play on another year or 2. Still the classiest player in the league.

Im sure he still has something in the tank for 2020, but 2021 as well? Still, if the AFL organised his 2021 salary to be an Ambassador payment it wouldnt cost the Suns much in the cap if he did retire at the end of 2020.

And given the dire state they are in, if the AFL isnt going to fold them, they may as well prop them up to at least not be generally embarrassing.

That said, if he still has something in the tank, then I would hope we hang on to him for 2020. He is one of the key reasons behind our 3-peat. And just an incredible person too - as everyone who has ever met him knows.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I heard that he wanted to get to 400 games, so that's still 2 seasons at least away. I doubt Hawthorn will give that to him, unfortunately.

It would be a good thing for the Suns to get him, and if 400 is his target then a good thing for him. As an aside, I can imagine that the move would be great for Jack Martin (should he stay). It might tempt him to stay - I can see similarities in Burgoyne and Jack - so it could be great for his career.

I heard that he wanted to get to 400 games, so that's still 2 seasons at least away. I doubt Hawthorn will give that to him, unfortunately.

It would be a good thing for the Suns to get him, and if 400 is his target then a good thing for him. As an aside, I can imagine that the move would be great for Jack Martin (should he stay). It might tempt him to stay - I can see similarities in Burgoyne and Jack - so it could be great for his career.
what are those, exactly?

what are those, exactly?
Just off the top of my head
  • Play of half back a default position but will rotate around the ground wherever necessary, so the ability to play in nearly every position bar key position
  • Good users on either foot
  • Quick enough without being a burner, more smooth than top end fast
  • Good overhead marking for the size
  • Stronger than they look to be and very physical for there size (they both look skinny but are much stronger than they appear)
  • Great tacklers
  • Seem to have time when they have the ball even when under pressure

I mean, there's more than a few similarities between them. I just feel like this year Jack has taken a little backward step but Burgoyne would be able to help him immensely given the similarities in role and ability.

He’s exactly the kind of guy they should be chasing. Even if he only plays a year but they offer him a mentoring/coaching role if his body doesn’t hold up.

The suns are a mess now, but they’ve basically had to restart from the ground up.
That starts with culture. You can’t expect attract or retain quality individuals (on or off field) if you don’t have an environment which allows everyone the best chance to succeed. Having a quality individual such as Shaun come to the club would be a massive step forward.

Still an absolute class player but time is against him.

His leadership and mentoring capability off field would be ideal for the Suns but.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back