Rumour Suns putting pressure on Jack to commit.

Remove this Banner Ad

jesterwester

Premiership Player
May 1, 2007
Australind
AFL Club
West Coast
They might be trying to get his intentions. Does he like it there? How’s he tracking off field. Is he starting to feel less homesick. What can we do to help with that? which might lead into- we would love to extend your contract, we love you at the club etc.

Rather than pressure, per se.

He’s a young kid moving away from home- this year will probably be the toughest, but if he’s genuine in his desire to move on- they might as well know that for sure now. At least then they might be able to facilitate a trade when they have the upper hand contract wise.

The Gold Coast need to build a culture that makes players want to come there. They’ve got the perfect spot lifestyle wise i think, (perhaps too good for a professional footballer to keep motivated). You won’t achieve that if you’ve got a teenager sulking in the background because he didn’t get to the Adelaide club he was never going to get to when he signed up for the draft.

jesterwester

Premiership Player
May 1, 2007
Australind
AFL Club
West Coast
I’ll assume that was based on my quote.

I worded that wrong, I doubt he is sulking, but they need to build a positive culture where people want to stay. If Jack doesn’t want to, or has already one foot out the door, well then I think the GC need to look at moving him on now. It isn’t going to achieve anything keeping him another year. Adelaides pick seems very attractive given that situation.

Although very aware of how big a move it is at his age, Jack was a top 3 draft pick really ever since that prelim final in the SANFL in his 17th year. He’s had a fair bit of time to prepare for the move, given both the crows or Port were unlikely to ever have a pick so high in the draft.

It’s a national comp, if you aren’t prepared to move to play in the AFL, there’s a fairly decent local comp he can play in and stay home.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AndyLucimitis

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 14, 2002
Victoria
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea
They might as well not draft anyone and fold then.

...well you asked me why ?

But I agree - maybe they need to play hardball but if, as reported, he is stalling over his contract, then it might only be this year they have the chance to nab a top 2 or 3 pick for him from the one of the Adelaide sides.

Jan 19, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
...well you asked me why ?

But I agree - maybe they need to play hardball but if, as reported, he is stalling over his contract, then it might only be this year they have the chance to nab a top 2 or 3 pick for him from the one of the Adelaide sides.

Yes there is that - but the Suns have had a million high picks so the value of that pick is not the same as it would be to say Hawks, Sydney, WCE or my club.

If I was the Suns I would be looking next year for an established AFL player to slot into the side plus a first. Just getting the same pick back after a year doesn't really do anything for them, and they lose 1 year of development. Obviously the difficulty would be convincing the player to leave but since they aren't a very happy team in Crowland could be doable.

ChesterTreasure

Club Legend
Nov 11, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
How do you know they wouldn't? Not everybody wants to be at a beach.
And not everybody wants to live in Tasmania.

"Tasmania has four distinct seasons with the warmest months being December to March.
The average maximum daily summer temperatures are between 17 and 23 degrees Celsius and winter daily temperatures sit between 3 and 11 degrees Celsius. "

I would suggest the simple solution is to absorb the best 30 players from the Gold Coast into the other 17 teams and adjust the fixture to allow more 6 day breaks / Thursday night games and a single bye each week solving the issue of the mid season 3 week bye period which is an absolute debacle.

Jan 19, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
And not everybody wants to live in Tasmania.

"Tasmania has four distinct seasons with the warmest months being December to March.
The average maximum daily summer temperatures are between 17 and 23 degrees Celsius and winter daily temperatures sit between 3 and 11 degrees Celsius. "

I would suggest the simple solution is to absorb the best 30 players from the Gold Coast into the other 17 teams and adjust the fixture to allow more 6 day breaks / Thursday night games and a single bye each week solving the issue of the mid season 3 week bye period which is an absolute debacle.

The solution to what? The AFL want one game per week played in each of the Northern states due to their TV deal.

Mego Red

The Artist Formerly Known As Kristof
10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
Why would GC do that?
Maximize their return. He still holds most of his draftee lustre. He has a mediocre second year because he's restless and leaves the club because he's out of contract, and the return will be a lot less.

Now, it's the same as if they flipped last year's pick to this year.

ChesterTreasure

Club Legend
Nov 11, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
The solution to what? The AFL want one game per week played in each of the Northern states due to their TV deal.
And they have a three week block in the middle of the season where momentum simply dies.
The current TV deal is not long of this world and whoever wins the next one will want more nights per week, not necessarily more games.
Gold Coast v Carlton on a Sunday afternoon or Richmond v Essendon on a Thursday night ???
Plenty of people tuned in each week before the Gold Coast entered the league - I don't think they would be overly missed.

Jan 6, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
I’ll assume that was based on my quote.

I worded that wrong, I doubt he is sulking, but they need to build a positive culture where people want to stay. If Jack doesn’t want to, or has already one foot out the door, well then I think the GC need to look at moving him on now. It isn’t going to achieve anything keeping him another year. Adelaides pick seems very attractive given that situation.

Although very aware of how big a move it is at his age, Jack was a top 3 draft pick really ever since that prelim final in the SANFL in his 17th year. He’s had a fair bit of time to prepare for the move, given both the crows or Port were unlikely to ever have a pick so high in the draft.

It’s a national comp, if you aren’t prepared to move to play in the AFL, there’s a fairly decent local comp he can play in and stay home.
Rankine was always the player who was considered the flight risk.

The player you are referring to is the clown that went to the draft with a doctors certificate stating that he couldn't move interstate. I can't even remember his name.

Considering the talent that's been sucked out of Adelaide over the last 8-10 years, fully endorsed by a compliant and in some cases actively encouraged by a biased Melbourne media, I would personally embrace Jack coming home.

And let's face, WC were close to being the recipient of Tim Kelly last year. And for all I know may even pick him up this year.

Dead right your response was poorly worded. It was just a s**t post in general.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back