Rolling Ashes Squad Thread, now featuring Haddin XII v Hick XII beginning p. 147

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jul 12, 2004
Junktion Oval
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
England
lol at the article claiming no Archer was a positive for Australia...That’s like saying England will be happy to see Starc sitting out!
Seeing Archer bowl with more consistency towards the end of the WC, I can't really see why he can't replicate his white ball form in Test matches. Much like Bumrah, he's full of tricks, and I could have seen him causing us some trouble.

Will be laughing in Broad is left out for Curran, but I doubt that will happen.

They don't have to do anything, cricket selection is as much art as science. I'd pick Bancroft and Labuschagne myself, but there is room in Test cricket for gut selections.
Given all the failed picks Kram likes to remind me of, the overlong stay for Nevill, refusing to bone Watson for far too long and their love affair with Marsh.
I'd say I don't trust their gut, and that goes back many sets of selectors.

The only nightmare England would have about Starc is how aren’t they hitting every one of his 9 balls in 10 to the fence! He bowls 1 good ball in 10.
Just a bit of mayo added here surely. Over 200 wickets at a low strike rate is GOAT like given it's from 1 good ball in 10.

Just a bit of mayo added here surely. Over 200 wickets at a low strike rate is GOAT like given it's from 1 good ball in 10.

He’s a worse Johnson type, at least Mitch had a golden couple of years. Don’t rate Starc at test level

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its interesting bagging Harris test record and saying Bancroft is better, Harris first series he averaged 37 against India, Bancroft first series he averaged 25 against England, both series at home. In that same Ashes series, Mitch Marsh averaged 80...

Bancroft got better when he had the added responsibility of being the sandpaper guy, doesn't Harris deserve the opportunity to have another go given he has done nothing but score runs since his last test and is the incumbent?

Plus as has been mentioned and overlooked, everyone is happy to leave out Labuschagne despite the fact he has a lot more runs than Bancroft against the same county bowling attacks!!! But select Bancroft because he has made runs in Div 2 county cricket, but Labs runs in Div 2 County cricket don't count...

You all sound just like the Australian selectors!!!
Not me. I wouldn't trust any of them.
CA needs a massive clean out. Get that broom out and give the place a good sweep.

He’s a worse Johnson type, at least Mitch had a golden couple of years. Don’t rate Starc at test level

probably your lack of faith holding him back

Donnie Darko

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2004
AFL Club
Melbourne

The Passenger

The passenger, I am...
Veteran 10k Posts 30k Posts Sensible Type WCE Wings Guernsey
Mar 25, 2003
Seeing Archer bowl with more consistency towards the end of the WC, I can't really see why he can't replicate his white ball form in Test matches. Much like Bumrah, he's full of tricks, and I could have seen him causing us some trouble.

Will be laughing in Broad is left out for Curran, but I doubt that will happen.
That would be a huge call to overlook Broad. I'd be super surprised if that happened. Australia would be happy that's for sure.

If the article is correct England are going for a more sensible 5-man bowling option with Ali batting at 8, which I think is their best line-up.

Donnie Darko

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2004
AFL Club
Melbourne

If I was an Australia selector I would leave out Cummins.

perthpitch.jpg

Anyone remember his bowling on this pitch?
where he went 1 for 60..
then in the next test where another green top was laid down... he was banging the ball in half way down the pitch on a green wicket.

If I was an Australia selector I would leave out Cummins.

View attachment 718563

Anyone remember his bowling on this pitch?
where he went 1 for 60..
then in the next test where another green top was laid down... he was banging the ball in half way down the pitch on a green wicket.
At an economy of 2.3 off 26 overs in fairness. He was crucial in applying pressure while Lyon took the wickets. That pitch didn't end up being as lethal as it looked for pace bowlers anyway.

Completely different prospect in England. We're talking about swing not bounce.

Badesumofu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 15, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Roger Federer
This idea that if you pick Wade you also have to pick Harris because they both had great Shield seasons is complete and utter nonsense. Here is why:

Firstly, Shield form is not the only relevant form. There is far more relevant information to consider than just Shield form. Wade has churned out runs in every format he’s played over the last 12 - 18 months. He’s now made runs in England as well, including a hundred against the England Lions who have a far better bowling attack than anything Lab or Bancroft faced in county 2nd div. Then there is the fact that Harris and Lab have both had recent opportunities at Test level and been not quite good enough.

Secondly, they are competing for different spots against different players. Bancroft has been solid to excellent since his return to Cricket. Labuschagne has made runs in second division, but as previously mentioned, that is not a very high standard competition. Labuschagne’s overall FC record does not merit selection. Wade has been knocking down the door for 2 years.

Thirdly, the whole argument is just an obvious logical fallacy. They are two separate selection questions and Shield form is just one of many factors. Wade clearly deserves a spot in the middle order based on weight of runs over a long period including recently in England against a quality attack. To claim that therefore Harris must deserve a spot as an opener because he had a slightly better Shield season last year is so obviously nonsense that I can’t belive I have to actually write this out.

For the record, I personally think that Harris vs Bancroft is probably a pretty tight call.

IKnowtheDog

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 25, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
Channel 4 in the UK has done a series on the 2005 Ashes. Is there anyway to view it in Australia?

Sep 27, 2008
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chelsea, Black Caps, Subiaco
For the record, I personally think that Harris vs Bancroft is probably a pretty tight call.

Listening to Langer banging on about how great Bancroft has been since his suspension I'd say he's almost a certainty to be picked.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back