Player Watch #5: Christian Petracca – Norm Smith Medallist, 4 x All-Australian and 2 x Best and Fairest

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep, he's quickly moved up to being a gun. Slow build to the year but he's been fantastic in the last couple of months. Would love to see him play more midfield. Hopefully he does nothing but set shots and running over summer. Could end up being the player we hoped. From memory it took Dusty awhile to get going as well with his big ass. I'd love to see him play 70/30 in the midfield. Harmes tagging, Oliver and Trac in the middle surely should be our centre bounces next year. Not sure what that means for Viney. Not sure he could play another position.

Yep, he's quickly moved up to being a gun. Slow build to the year but he's been fantastic in the last couple of months. Would love to see him play more midfield. Hopefully he does nothing but set shots and running over summer. Could end up being the player we hoped. From memory it took Dusty awhile to get going as well with his big ass. I'd love to see him play 70/30 in the midfield. Harmes tagging, Oliver and Trac in the middle surely should be our centre bounces next year. Not sure what that means for Viney. Not sure he could play another position.
Martin snagged 33 in his 2nd season.

They aren't the same player anyway. Petracca is more like a Jake Stringer

Is it possible he’s benefited from the season being a disaster? Lowered expectations on the team, less pressure, etc.
I think it's probably more the other way personally, with poor performance comes more pressure, particularly internally. When things aren't going to plan, the individual moments are broken down and examined, which isn't needed when things are working and you're winning.

In 14 games he kicked 9 goals and had less than 10 disposals in 8 of the games.
Spargo had less than 10 in 3 of his 18 games last year.
He was killing it in Roos first year until Roos bakes him against the Pies. He was not the same after. JKH is a clever player and would give our midfield a much better mix. I’d pick him before Viney at the moment.

He was killing it in Roos first year until Roos bakes him against the Pies. He was not the same after. JKH is a clever player and would give our midfield a much better mix. I’d pick him before Viney at the moment.
Jesus christ, JKH is an absolute s**t truck. At least Viney has moments where he buries someone like Selwood, Rance etc and shows them they gotta go through him like a rabid pitbull if they want to try * with his team mates. JKH just floats off into a neighbours monologue and is happy with his 5 touches for the game.

Not sure what either of them have to do with the Trac breaking the shackles and slowly becoming a jet under the radar.....

Given the debacle that this season is, he'd almost be pushing for a top 5 finish in the BnF. He's now pretty consistent which is all I could ask for from a half forward/impact mid. Again, it's all relative given the drop off of so many other players this year, but he's one of the few turning up each week having a crack. I reckon we would've played him more in the middle too, but we just have no choice but to keep him forward. There's no-one else! I've said this so many times, but if he's playing forward, I'd like us to build it around him. Give him the space inside 50 like a DeGoey or Stephenson, and watch his opponent panic. Pound for pound he'd be a nightmare match up inside 50.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jesus christ, JKH is an absolute s**t truck. At least Viney has moments where he buries someone like Selwood, Rance etc and shows them they gotta go through him like a rabid pitbull if they want to try fu** with his team mates. JKH just floats off into a neighbours monologue and is happy with his 5 touches for the game.

Not sure what either of them have to do with the Trac breaking the shackles and slowly becoming a jet under the radar.....
Trac is not a Jet. He is improving, thank god, and he’s becoming a good player, but he’s got a long way to go. He needs to be more involved in games, which is trending the right way.

Trac is not a Jet. He is improving, thank god, and he’s becoming a good player, but he’s got a long way to go. He needs to be more involved in games, which is trending the right way.
Agreed. Hence *slowly becoming* part :)

He is starting to realise how hard he is to tackle and take the game on a bit more. Would love him to have more confidence to go for goal when he has a shot though.

It's such an obvious flaw now that the club SURELY cannot be stupid enough to not work with him on it in the preseason.

He's had to do a s##t ton of heavy lifting for the forward line most of this year. Key forwards have been inept, marking half-forwards have been rotating between injured and useless (Melk, Hannan etc) and the small forwards...have we actually had any??? And now when nothing is happening in the middle, we move him in there too to add some stimulation. The fact he's actually kicked over 20 goals (and should really have 30+) in such a dysfunctional system is miraculous.

I actually wonder if he's benefitted from the team in general being so rubbish this year. Maybe it's made him realise that he really is a top 5 player in our team on his day. Last year there was improvement from heaps of players and he would've felt that pressure from not improving like others. This year he's one of only a few who have improved and so now he feels like he belongs and is important to this rabble.

He's likely to be our leading goalkicker. Currently on 22, ahead of Hunt (20), TMac (18), Fritta (16). Genuinely Neeld-like numbers
2013 Stats, Howe 28 goals, Watts 22 and Davey and Fitz on 15

But Roosy's first year was worse
2014 stats, Dawes 20 Goals, Tyson 16, Frawley 15 and Pedersen 14

2013 Stats, Howe 28 goals, Watts 22 and Davey and Fitz on 15

But Roosy's first year was worse
2014 stats, Dawes 20 Goals, Tyson 16, Frawley 15 and Pedersen 14
Settle down mate, no need for a pissing contest.

Jks. Look at that goal spread. Keep the opposition unsure where our goals were coming from.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back