Captaincy Discussion Thread

Preferred Captain in 2020

• Total voters
A few questions to get a concise understanding of how this board feels given all the chat about Jones, Viney, Gawn etc.

1. Does captaincy matter?
2. To what extent?
3. Do we have the right captain/s?
4. Who would be your captain/s in 2020?

1. Yes, I think it does.
2. More off-field than on-field, because you want the voice at the top to be able to speak to the supporters when you're having a year like the one we are. Jones did/does ok but it was never his strength, and Viney is no good at self-expression. The captain is also the cultural barometer, and the messages they send will naturally resonate more than any other player.
3. No. Viney is prime leadership group material, but he can only lead by his actions rather than his words. Him being captain also makes him undroppable and removes the obligation to experiment with him in other positions. IMO, he is the worst of our four inside mids. Jones has hit the point in his career when he needs to focus on his football rather than the team, with his spot in the 22 under question.
4. Gawn. Easy one for me. Top 10 player in the league, incredibly articulate, as respected by the media as the likes of Selwood, Danger, Hodge and a fierce competitor. Unbelievable ambassador for the club, our best since Jim Stynes.

Beats

Club Legend
Jul 9, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Ivanhoe
1 - yes
2 - somewhat, you need a figurehead for the playing group. The most important skill for a captain should be oration, both internally to the playing and coaching groups and externally to the media and fans.
3 - no. Jones is at an age where he should be handing it over and focusing on his own football. Jack Viney should not have been made captain. The decision to make him captain at 22yo reeks of nepotism.
4 - I voted Jones for lack of better options.

Tempy Tiger

Premiership Player
Sep 18, 2006
AFL Club
Melbourne
Salem.
Viney looks like he is at the cross roads. Jones isn’t in our best 22.
Gawn would be good, but there’s a lot of ‘look at me Kimmy’ about him. Salem is being groomed by Nev, and that’s enough for me. You can see he’s respected by his team mates, he’s tough but he is also one of our best players.

rhaz

Cancelled
Jun 30, 2008
AFL Club
Melbourne
None of us can really know the true answer to this without having been in an AFL club, but from the outside I just think it is important for captain be a gun player who is well liked and speaks well to the media.

Everything I see from Gawn says he should be captain.

None of us can really know the true answer to this without having been in an AFL club, but from the outside I just think it is important for captain be a gun player who is well liked and speaks well to the media.

Everything I see from Gawn says he should be captain.
To be fair, none us know s**t

(Particularly not G2B)

deeco

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 3, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Maybe Goody has read "The Captain Class" and Viney ticks every box for the perfect captain and the book is full of s**t, or Goody hasn't read it and Viney is a dud. Would love to be a fly on the wall and see what we miss out on inside the club but really who cares, whatever is happening isn't working. Jonesy has to give it up and retire for the betterment of the club at end of season. If our other options outside of Viney are Gawn or a left field like Melksham, I couldn't tell you what difference any of them would make. Hope the "winning culture" returns next year but have my doubts after decades of disappointment...

jhong

Old man yelling at clouds
Apr 18, 2011
Wonthaggi
AFL Club
Melbourne
Need to see Lever on the park more before giving him leadership role. He has the potential for sure , just not yet .

The Dr

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 20, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Salem.
Viney looks like he is at the cross roads. Jones isn’t in our best 22.
Gawn would be good, but there’s a lot of ‘look at me Kimmy’ about him. Salem is being groomed by Nev, and that’s enough for me. You can see he’s respected by his team mates, he’s tough but he is also one of our best players.

What part of Salem screams captain? He’s a nice kick and all ... but ... ?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Oliver as likely to be captain as Dusty.

Only six feasible candidates: Gawn, Lever, May, Viney, Jones and TMac

Viney and Jones need to lose it, May hasn’t played enough, Lever will almost definitely be captain someday IMO but also needs to play more, TMac needs to discover form first and Gawn is perfect.

Dancing Potato

Premiership Player
Jul 7, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
Oliver? Gawd no. Have you heard him speak? I mean...he basically can't.

Great player, but Captain? Nooooope. Might as well give the captaincy to a bag of sawdust.

Has to be Gawn. A good player, a good speaker and the boys will listen to him.

Will be Lever eventually, when he stops falling apart like an apple crumble.

blitznu

Premiership Player
Jan 6, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
Oliver as likely to be captain as Dusty.

Only six feasible candidates: Gawn, Lever, May, Viney, Jones and TMac

Viney and Jones need to lose it, May hasn’t played enough, Lever will almost definitely be captain someday IMO but also needs to play more, TMac needs to discover form first and Gawn is perfect.
TMAC over Jetta wtf. Jetta is captain material on and off the field. TMAC was the banjo playing kid from deliverance. Jetta might be getting on but id rather Jetta on his deathbed over big dumb dumb TMac replacing small dumb dumb in Viney

TMAC over Jetta wtf. Jetta is captain material on and off the field. TMAC was the banjo playing kid from deliverance. Jetta might be getting on but id rather Jetta on his deathbed over big dumb dumb TMac replacing small dumb dumb in Viney
Jetta will be 30 in February

Apr 1, 2018
AFL Club
Tasmania
Glad someone made a post about this.

Out current captains a great blokes but suck at being captain. Neither are best 22 in my opinion and rarely do they lead from the front through actions or words.

Gawn captain for a few years with Lever as VC. Imo Lever will make a fantastic long term captain but let him get some more consistent form and confidence in his body first before giving him the responsibly.

Also, co-captains suck.

Back