Umpiring standards 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Anzac day was lop sided in favour of one team, the best team on the day lost.

Rampe incident was atrocious, the umpire ignored the rules supported by the AFL boss,this shows the ignoring of rules to suit the desired outcome.

Carlton V Collingwood 24 to 8 free licks, GWS V Collingwood 24 to 14 are just a couple of disturbing comparisons.

After last nights Roos/Lions match, I am convinced the AFL has a narrative and a agenda. How can the Lions get a free kick count 10 to 1 in the final quarter.
The AFL is an entertainment product like WWE, not a real competition. It's the only explanation for this backwater level umpiring that's getting worse every year

Carlton V Collingwood 24 to 8 free licks, GWS V Collingwood 24 to 14 are just a couple of disturbing comparisons.
Why do free kick counts have to be even?

What if one team is grossly undisciplined and continually lays illegal tackles? Is the umpire obligated to even the count up with some cheapies at half back?

Ridiculous statement.

Howlers for both sides today. Totally different holding/dropping the ball interpretation some pinged with no prior others given 5 seconds and then just drop it and it's play on. Really soft frees for legal bumps as well.

Eleni was blowing her whistle at every contest in her zone.

Howlers for both sides today. Totally different holding/dropping the ball interpretation some pinged with no prior others given 5 seconds and then just drop it and it's play on. Really soft frees for legal bumps as well.

Eleni was blowing her whistle at every contest in her zone.

Well that makes sense if Eleni was umpiring, you can’t expect competent umpiring.

Actually looking at the appointments this week, seemed to be a lot of second stringers getting a run, so they are either seeing how some fringe umpires do in regard to next years contract list or there are a few injuries to the main list.

Umpiring can improve, but I blame the rules, reviews, technology etc for our problems.

Ball cannoned into the post today in the Hawks match, goal umpire in perfect position, and he asked for a review. Seriously, the ball rebounded off the post... ump was looking at it, said he wasn't sure. Review took about 1/2 a second to confirm, but I really hate how much the constant re-writing of rules, stop-gaps and multiple interpretations screw with the umps ability to just make sure the game is fairly played.

Well that makes sense if Eleni was umpiring, you can’t expect competent umpiring.

Actually looking at the appointments this week, seemed to be a lot of second stringers getting a run, so they are either seeing how some fringe umpires do in regard to next years contract list or there are a few injuries to the main list.
She payed a free kick against a WC defender who with eyes on ball tried to punch it away. Free Kick fortunately from 20 metres out was a behind. Her decision was based (audio) partly heard that" he did not go for the ball" Complete rubbish replay showed an attempt to punch ball away but he missed. This happens regularly in a game. If that umpire is the future.............................mmmm

I haven't watched every game this weekend but those I have really concerned me about the standard of umpiring.
The latest example being the Suns vs Bombers game.
Just some simple examples: the centre ball up was regularly botched and not called back; ricochet from a players foot/leg for out of bounds on the full not called and the opposition scores a goal and finally Dons kick a goal - clearly over the line tapped back into play, no score!
From what I have seen this weekend we would be better of going back to the respective captains umpiring.
I have two sons umpiring in the local leagues and even they are embarrassed by what is happening in the AFL!

The umpiring gets worse every year due to all the new rules. However I wish umpires could use some common sense sometimes. My pet hate is when both players are holding each other but they pay a free kick to one of them. Also the umpires always give into the crowd it seems, which results in high disparity free kicks to the home team on a lot of occasions. Plus some goal umpiring decisions this season have been shocking. Like how does the goal umpire not see the ball cross the line on the Zaharakis kick on the weekend? Blows my mind.

The umpiring gets worse every year due to all the new rules. However I wish umpires could use some common sense sometimes. My pet hate is when both players are holding each other but they pay a free kick to one of them. Also the umpires always give into the crowd it seems, which results in high disparity free kicks to the home team on a lot of occasions. Plus some goal umpiring decisions this season have been shocking. Like how does the goal umpire not see the ball cross the line on the Zaharakis kick on the weekend? Blows my mind.

This is especially prevalent with ruck contests. Has me stuffed how they call free kicks when both ruckmen are grappling with each other.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hate it when players look at me after a contest and say he was holding me in those situations! So were you, get over it!!!

However what often happens in AFL games and is if they see any obvious tug of the jumper or pull of the arm they'll pay that, so much so players are now grabbing their opponents early, then letting go at the last second just as the contest occurs and the umpire sees one player holding and pay the free.

Hi all.

Just wondering what people's thoughts are on umpiring so far this year. Normally I think they are pretty good but from the games I've watched this year the standard seems below par, particularly with the soft frees yet ignoring around the neck. Note I have not watched Melbourne's first game and this is not a whinge post about my team, just a personal observation.

What do you guys think so far?
I THINK THE UMPIRES ARE TRAINED TO THE HILT. SO WELL THAT THE RULES COMMITTEE HAS GIVEN THEM SO MANY GREY ANGLES TO APPLY , THAT THEY CAN'T HELP BUT MAKE MISTAKES.
And they do, in interpretation and judgement , and especially in the players feel for the game,and how umpires go to the extreme of the rules to call something.
It is the softening and anti contact / contest that is ruining our sport, so I think the umps are ok , I also think the expansion has murdered the standard of the playing pool in the 18 teams. Not real happy with footy lately.

This is especially prevalent with ruck contests. Has me stuffed how they call free kicks when both ruckmen are grappling with each other.

RUCK contest"free kicks" are an absurdity, in the first place.

What Ruckmen are supposed to do has almost been wiped according to how some poor umpire has been instructed to guess which one is actually infringing more than the next one.

They both infringe in fact every time they go up, it is an absolute disgrace that this nonsense has been allowed to destroy our sport, like it has, because of the AFL administration and its idiotic rule fiddling.

It has turned a beautiful hard exiting contest into a game of continues injuries and collision motor car style hits fast running injuries , knees hamstrings like we've never seen before up into the last 10 years or so, its worse I don't care who argues with me.

I think that, I also think that the game is also too fast and too many speedy runners who can't kick are around. But you can deal with that if you have some sensible rules.

I suspect the dilution of the elite playing pool in Australia, has something to do with the way the rules are greyed up and used as well.

It saves some teams , and how do you stop FREE KICKS being game changers or winning games?, Its amazing umpires are running the show, and its getting to the give up point.
It might be spectacular to a degree in some areas , but it is the most frustrating thing you can watch at the moment for everyone.

A simple game turned into rocket science bulldust!

The centre bounce is the most important engagement of two major positions played in our game, the centre bounce is where the winner wins most by driving into attack how in gods name did all these rubbish rules turn proper ruckwork into a free kick to turn that ball over to another team out of the centre is not competition it is manipulation of the game to change it!!!!!!!

Then the opposing ruckman is bewildered as to what he did,it is a perfect example of AFL trashing of our sport!

The centre ruck contest and probably most ruck work around the ground should never be allowed to involve any type of free kick awarded to either Ruckman , the players who infringe like DARE I CALL THEM ROVERS, AND CENTRE MEN, THAT IS A DIFFERENT STORY?, free kicks for infringements after the ruckwork is normal.

NO MORE RUCK FREE KICKS , THEY ARE DAMNED UNFAIR AND UNNEEDED, AND NORMAL RUCKWORK IS CONTACT AND CONNECTING , THERE IS NEVER A FREE THERE,EVER!!!

UNLESS ONE OF THEM PUNCHES THE OTHER IN THE HEAD! I am really lost with this game I've spent my life with , just makes me angry , and I look at that pompous mess Gil Mclachlan, he looked like he was right out of it on TV last week at one of the games, Mr Misery , he should be removed along with Hocking , who is a disgrace and has let football down miserably!

Sorry, don't know where to put this but...
Is there actually a rule written that if you spin a player 360 degrees in a tackle it's holding the ball?
The Mundy one today? I was OK with that as it was only a jumper grab not an actual tackle.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back