Brighton Homes Arena (Springfield) discussions

Remove this Banner Ad

Part of an email from the club this morning-

SPRINGFIELD

Progress on our Club’s new home is going well. Our Queensland Government funding deed has been executed and a development application for The Reserve Community Arena at Springfield was lodged with Ipswich City Council this week. We have assembled a talented design team led by Brisbane-based architects Populous who have recently designed training bases for West Coast Eagles and Geelong Cats, among many other world-leading stadium projects. Earthworks should commence next month while our team refines the detailed design.

We look forward to sharing some exciting images and fly-throughs with Club partners, members and supporters in coming months as we launch a fundraising drive to ensure that our teams have the leagues’ best training facilities and our Club has an iconic home for AFLW and NEAFL games.

Finally, it’s been really gratifying this year to see the joy the team’s performances have brought to all the loyal supporters of the club. So many of you have stuck with us through some lean times and we are very grateful for that.

Thanks for your support, I look forward to seeing many of you at the footy tomorrow night to celebrate Daniel Rich’s 200th game with the Club, or at an upcoming Lions function.

Go Lions!

Andrew Wellington
Chairman

Part of an email from the club this morning-

SPRINGFIELD

Progress on our Club’s new home is going well. Our Queensland Government funding deed has been executed and a development application for The Reserve Community Arena at Springfield was lodged with Ipswich City Council this week. We have assembled a talented design team led by Brisbane-based architects Populous who have recently designed training bases for West Coast Eagles and Geelong Cats, among many other world-leading stadium projects. Earthworks should commence next month while our team refines the detailed design.

We look forward to sharing some exciting images and fly-throughs with Club partners, members and supporters in coming months as we launch a fundraising drive to ensure that our teams have the leagues’ best training facilities and our Club has an iconic home for AFLW and NEAFL games.

Finally, it’s been really gratifying this year to see the joy the team’s performances have brought to all the loyal supporters of the club. So many of you have stuck with us through some lean times and we are very grateful for that.

Thanks for your support, I look forward to seeing many of you at the footy tomorrow night to celebrate Daniel Rich’s 200th game with the Club, or at an upcoming Lions function.

Go Lions!

Andrew Wellington
Chairman
The fact that he singled out,
The ‘Queensland Government’ funding deed having been executed makes me think there was a bit of a hold up there, as Tassie4ever mentioned a couple of posts up!

Long time coming but what a major step this will be for the club, and not only the seniors, but for the Neafl team and the women's team to have a true home ground.

Hopefully we have some plans and videos done up to help attract some more players this off season too.

The fact that he singled out,
The ‘Queensland Government’ funding deed having been executed makes me think there was a bit of a hold up there, as Tassie4ever mentioned a couple of posts up!

I get my info from an internal ICC source who deals with development matters.

I'll check the above Lions product when next we meet.

I live around the corner from where the reserve is being built. Drove past there this morning and ground work is now under way. Exciting times !!!

Awesome, hope you can give us some more updates as the project progresses...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A special meeting of the Ipswich City Council has cleared the final hurdle for the Brisbane Lions to start construction on a $70 million football stadium complex at Springfield Central.
What does it say?
I can’t get passed the paywall!

What does it say?
I can’t get passed the paywall!

Ipswich Council meeting held yesterday gave the green light for construction to begin, so I gather tha's the DA approval being ticked off. Plus some other details about the facility which have been previously discussed here in the past.

It will be good when it’s finished they’ll have proper lights there. So the women’s team will be able to play twilight and night games there. Instead of having to play day games in the Summer.

Does anyone know when it will be finished I remember the club saying 2021 is that right or will it be latter?

It will be good when it’s finished they’ll have proper lights there. So the women’s team will be able to play twilight and night games there. Instead of having to play day games in the Summer.

Does anyone know when it will be finished I remember the club saying 2021 is that right or will it be latter?
I believe 2021 is still the timeline ,think they hope to have the playing facilities ready for AFLW in early 2021 training facility maybe later than that, council have given final approval so creek diversion and other earthworks should be under way soon .
Hopefully a local lions supporter can keep us all updated.

I was reading earlier in the thread where a few were complaining about the location being distant. Not only is it within a half hour drive and connected by rail as others have pointed out, it's the perfect location for tapping into population growth and reaching a new generation of young families, given where most new housing developments have been going in the past decade. Smart move by the club.

location was always the one question mark for me but ticks all other boxes ,as long as the players are fine with it that's all that matters.Will help our finances considerably when done .lot easier to find a naming rights sponsor the way we are travelling now since sponsors are now ringing us to get on board apparently.

location was always the one question mark for me but ticks all other boxes ,as long as the players are fine with it that's all that matters.Will help our finances considerably when done .lot easier to find a naming rights sponsor the way we are travelling now since sponsors are now ringing us to get on board apparently.
Location is really the only downside for supporters & some players but the real concern that overrides the location is for the much needed up-to-date/modern training facility and somewhere for the girls to play. Shame on QLD Stadiums for letting the Gabba slip into a second class facility I say. (not that a Gabba upgrade would solve all our problems related top a training/playing facility.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back