Preview Geelong V Freo - Part 2 of the AFL Road Trip

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just thinking. Seeing as how the thread is so boring.
Imagine if geelong started a club today.

And they let the club song writers use the word 'geo'
How sad.

It's first world issues for sure. But they gave away a chunk of identity that can never be reversed.

Obviously couldn't write lyrics that rhymed with Fremantle.

Parsons doesnt even deserve to be on the list. He didnt break one line against the swans all day. He was still hesitant and still fumbly. Just wasnt the same pressure as the week before. How many times do we need to see him have a not horrible game against weak opposition and then see him turn to bathwater in a high pressure game. Twenty times not enough?

Murdoch was a far far superior player to parsons.
I don’t know what you were watching but I thought Parsons second half was excellent.
I have not been a fan of his thus far, but I have been watching football long enough to
that some players can take time. What I saw in the second half may well cause the
penny to drop and give him confidence going forward.

Apparently Mitch Duncan has been sick this week, fingers crossed hes good to go by Saturday
There's been more than a few fan posts on Facebook this week - I saw one yesterday that said Duncan was in the pink top & training away from the rest of the playing group

That would explain why if he has been under the weather

Freo are seriously just going at this point. If our boys wanted to get really serious, I think they could stamp their authority early, hit the scoreboard hard, and make the whole afternoon very difficult for the Shockers.

As it is, I'm basically resigned to it being an awful slog for most of the game, with nothing more than the hope of an eventual edgy win and no injuries as the bright sides on the day.

Prove me wrong, Catters...
After stopping him from being a premiership coach in ‘09 I’d love to see the cats deliver a Melbourne ‘11 coach sacking game against Ross.

I tried telling the masses before Jed got back in, and they didn't believe me.
No use trying now. Some just don't get it. He is in our best side
You may well have...and NO I do not believe you. Bews...Jed or whatever is not in Geelong's best side. Never has been never will be. But yes it seems he will be selected. Different thing all together.

they play different roles, Bews is a lock down player. IMO 2E & Henderson are more interchangeable.
Forget this “lock down player” nonsense.
Ronke found the key to the lock last week and Bews only managed 7 possessions as well.
There are lots of backmen who keep their opponent quiet but can run off in transition and
get touches (Enright). Mark O’Connor is gaining the confidence to do just that each week,
and as Zac Touhy said in an interview recently he practically never has a goal kicked on
him. I have never understood why Bews with his pace is such a low possession player,
he would seem a natural to be involved in transition play.
Oh yeah, I forgot, he is a lockdown player.🙄

Murdoch was a great tackler, had more speed and had a pretty good shimmy (he could break lines with run and carry). He could also roost a ball a long way.

What exactly does Parson have that offsets those clear murdoch advantages?

Both were fumbly under pressure. Both get easily blindsided. Both are average in a marking contest. Murdoch being slightly better as he could occassionally pull down a strong mark. They share a lot of weaknesess but only murdoch has clear strengths. Parson perhaps has better stamina and is less prone to shank his kicks. Thats the best i can think of.
Parsons is also far less experienced. Murdoch never reached what many thought was his
potential, Parsons still has a chance. Perhaps you will be right, but your comment will not
be relevant for a couple of years.

I made no prediction that Bews will suddenly become an AA class player in the future like Milburn and I had previously stated to MotlopMagic that in fact they may be right about Bews. My reference to Milburn was to show that predictions on the future of a player are sometimes wrong. There was no comparison between Bews, the footballer and Milburn, the footballer which the other poster implied. At best you could suggest there was a comparison over the perception of those players by some people at a particular time in their career, that is a long way from comparing them as footballers.
I don’t remember Milburn the way you do, I don’t think he suddenly became a good player.
As an example, look at his 3rd season in 1999. He played more games up forward early on
and kicked 15-8 that season, he also had his second highest tackle count of his career and
managed to average 19 poss a game. His clanger count was also around his overall average.
Although it may not mean much he also received 5 brownlow votes and had 22 votes by 2005,
he only managed another 4 in his career.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geelong Round 20 Team

B: J Kolodjashnij, M Blicavs, J Bews
HB: Z Tuohy, J Henry, T Stewart
C: S Selwood, P Dangerfield, J Selwood
HF: T Atkins, M Duncan, G Ablett
F: T Hawkins, G Rohan, E Ratugolea
R: Z Smith, C Guthrie, T Kelly
INT: J Clark, G Miers, L Dahlhaus, M O’Connor
EM: R Stanley, L Henderson, S Menegola, J Parsons

Narkle & Simpson surely already on a plane back home preparing for Sunday's VFL

Feel sorry for Parsons - he was pretty good in the second half last week, so agree with CE that he's likely a late in

You may well have...and NO I do not believe you. Bews...Jed or whatever is not in Geelong's best side. Never has been never will be. But yes it seems he will be selected. Different thing all together.
Some just don't get it.
When you get picked consistently, when fit, that means exactly that. You are in the best side.

Lmao the MC have done it again. They always find the curve ball while still being weirdly conservative.

I don’t remember Milburn the way you do, I don’t think he suddenly became a good player.
As an example, look at his 3rd season in 1999. He played more games up forward early on
and kicked 15-8 that season, he also had his second highest tackle count of his career and
managed to average 19 poss a game. His clanger count was also around his overall average.
Although it may not mean much he also received 5 brownlow votes and had 22 votes by 2005,
he only managed another 4 in his career.
I remember him being a ball magnet from an early stage, played just about every position. A true utility.

Good looking side. Parsons unlucky however someone had to go for Rohan's inclusion. Harry managed is good, I take it he's in Perth to drop in on the family...in Geraldton I think.

Very important game for us and another chance for Smith to show his stuff. I wonder if Menegola is playing VFL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back