Opinion Colin Young

Remove this Banner Ad

freodog

Club Legend
Oct 15, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Question: Does Colin Young have an unhealthy influence at Fremantle?

It has been brought up elsewhere and I have been thinking it for a while and IMO needs it’s own thread.

While it is important for the club to have a healthy working relationship with all player agents, Colin Young has 17 players at Fremantle. That’s almost half the list! (due to reduce by the end of the year).

We all know Colin Young leaks information to Hackdorn so uses his media platform for his own purposes. Hackdorn has been trying to white ant & knife Ross for the over 2 years. Looks like he’s finally going to get his way.

Hackdorn & Hardie have been strong advocates for Sumich allowing him to build a profile & popularity. So who else does Colin Young manage? That’s right Peter Sumich.

Is it healthy for one manager to have so much influence at our club with the ability threaten to move players under their control?

Because the players are not employees but contractors - which suits us all for the most part with hiring and firing players... Player managers become a necessary evil - and like it or loathe it, if they choose to exert an influence they can try without any oversight unless they seriously breach some laws - and it isn't worth clubs biting with potential slander or other claims even if they were there.

Always stirring up s**t so he can get a good deal for his client and himself. Sums it up really.

Due to free agency and more teams, there's more tendency (and threat) to get out of a contract early, especially when the $$$ go up in the next contract..

Young’s Freo Clients

B.Hill
S.Hill
Walters
Hamling
Wilson
Conca
Logue
McCarthy
Banfield
Coyler
O’Reilly
Carter
Jones
Bennell
Kersten
Ballas
Sandi
Matera

Last edited:
McGovern
Yeo
Masten
Darling
Ryan
Allen
Sheppard
Cameron

See the Eagles are smart. Only 8 players. We have fuc.king 18

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Sadly this is the lay of the land and as far as I'm concerned, we're going to have to put up with it no matter what.

In saying that, if Young truly manages Sumich and is leaking to Hagdorn in order to build pressure to sack Lyon so his client can be appointed, that would be beyond reprehensible to the extreme.

That is an example of a player-manager with too much power in my opinion.

Sadly this is the lay of the land and as far as I'm concerned, we're going to have to put up with it no matter what.

In saying that, if Young truly manages Sumich and is leaking to Hagdorn in order to build pressure to sack Lyon so his client can be appointed, that would be beyond reprehensible to the extreme.

That is an example of a player-manager with too much power in my opinion.
Sumich is being looked after by his ex WC buddies in the media trying to parachute him into a head coach position. I hope we don't fall for it because the last thing we need is someone that currently isn't coaching department of an AFL team. Don't know if Young is involved and would hope not.

Last edited:
Young’s Freo Clients

B.Hill
S.Hill
Walters
Hamling
Wilson
Conca
Logue
McCarthy
Banfield
Coyler
O’Reilly
Carter
Jones
Bennell
Kersten
Ballas
Sandi
Well that explains why the two C's from other clubs got 3 year deals.

I understand that Conca has been getting games but I think at the expense of Banfield and while he may have contributed to the coaching why weren't the coaches?

Last edited:
Ever played poker with someone who knows your cards? This is what contract negotiations is like when a player manager knows exactly how much money you have left in your salary cap.

It’s a fu.cking vampire guarding a blood bank situation. How and who have let this happen? Has to be Rosich.

No wonder Rosich didn’t want a TLA person in charge of our list, no wonder he hire someone from the Gold Coast with no experience (someone he could control) as our current list manager and
No wonder he didn’t want a numbers analysis with a law degree to replace him when Bell had him in the bag.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After the season is finished, you can probably take 5-7 names off that list

If we hated him so much he wouldn't of got the O'Reilly signature.

Anyone ever thought he's a little voice for the club. Like on the sneaky. He's put the heat on sports and fitness, diverting it from Ross.

So Tim Kelly was adamant he wasn't coming to Freo in 2018. Why exactly? Beef with an existing player? Dislikes the coach? Suddenly in his latest interview he was misquoted. Just so happens Brad Hill is open to trade back to Melbourne and clubs have come asking.

Perhaps we decided we need currency, and Brad has a very high value on the open market, and worth a lot while contracted. We made a decision last year to turn Neale into Hogan and Lobb. I still rate that move. We balanced our list a lot better. It may backfire, but we now have bookends in the 23-26 year age group. We even have key position 'depth'.

Perhaps an outside wingman, who looks a million bucks, but isn't inside winning clearances or a key position player, is moneyball to move on for other positions.

Young could be playing to our fiddle.

He does the right thing for his clients and I’m sure he’s a good man to have in your corner.

Having shots at the club isn’t great though, even if he has a point. If I was one of his clients I’d be wanting him to be quiet there

Heard on duff and quarters podcast that colin young was interfering in the internal workings of the club apparently tried to prevent bell from getting a contract extension.

I hope to god that isn't true because if it is, he is vastly overstepping the mark and needs to be brought to heel!

Heard on duff and quarters podcast that colin young was interfering in the internal workings of the club apparently tried to prevent bell from getting a contract extension.
If true, the club needs to hit him hard in the pocket.

Who is his contact within the club that isn’t Bell?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back