Bigfooty General Metal Thread Mk.VII

Remove this Banner Ad

I haven't been through the last few pages but anyone else stoked for new Atlantean Kodex album?

The White Goddess is one of my faves of the last decade and it's been 6 years since it was released.

Yep.

liking the black album era explorer

Nah. I think Iron Tyrant in Italy may have something to do with them. Been done really well packaging and sound wise (proudly announces on back cover that the sound is sourced from a vinyl rip). Many distros have them - I got mine from Osmose.

I reckon James is definitely doing a ‘Dickinson’ and growing his hair long again. I’m doing the same but already feeling the heat from the Mrs. not sure I have the strength to see this through either. Hopefully James does.

Reckon Hetfield has had a bit of work done to his hair though. He was in a world of pain 20 years ago. Agree re. the heat growing out again - gets to that s**t stage where it just looks messy and you check out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bladekiller - High Risk, Haunt - Burst into Flame and this one are my favourite 'true' heavy metal albums from last year!

EDIT: Visigoth - Conqueror's Oath would be up there too

Add Tokyo Blade’s “Unbroken” to your 2018 list!

Tygers of Pan Tang’s self-titled from 2016 was a cracker too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So, I've decided to do this as a retrospective.

Gorgoroth - Antichrist. Very dark, very vicious, and you can tell that Infernus was becoming a lot more confident in his abilities as a guitarist. The criticism for Pentagram and Antichrist tends to be around these early albums being very typical of the Norwegian second wave, yet not doing anything different to their contemporaries. Fair enough for Pentagram (yet as an album that really stands up well, does it need to do anything different?), yet on this release I feel that the songwriting and technique of Infernus offers a point of difference to what else was coming out at the time. There is a very real hint of the experimentation that would become Gorgoroth's point of difference around the turn of the millennium, though without any sacrifice of atmosphere. Much of this can be attributed to the presence of Frost on drums, whose greater proficiency than Goat Perverter allowed Infernus this early opportunity to push the boundaries to begin to create the space for what his vision of black metal could be.

Though at barely longer than 25 minutes, calling this an LP seems to be a bit of a stretch.

Very excited to read that Ross the Boss is returning in November and is playing Hail to England in full (pretty certain they played 4 of the 6 songs last time - not including Black Arrows) plus other Manowar classics. Could play Blood Of My Enemies ten times running and I'd still be asking for it again. In light of the D666 fiasco, dwwaino's concert quota has not been met and he should come to this. Haha.

Mercyful Fate reunion without Denner?

Mercyful Fate reunion without Denner?

Rumour is KD wants too much of the $ so he isn't involved. Geez love to see KD come here but seems to just do a few European/US shows and that's it. Probably asking for too much. Doesn't even get to Japan. Well if either KD/MF go to Japan I will be heading there to see them.

Don't like them. Some members have been through every second trend over last 20 years. Black metal, keyboard blackmetal, industrial influenced blackmetal, mallcore, NWoAHM. Now old school deathmetal.

Doesn't shock me. Bit different when I am on the other side of the world and am removed from that, but I know the feeling and it puts me off bands too.

I'm way more into Mercyful Fate than I am the KD stuff. Anyone else feel that way? A reunion where they did a bunch of Melissa/DBTO stuff would be epic.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back