Traded #10: Aaron Francis - Traded to Sydney w. Pick 42 + Future fourth rounder for Pick 37. Thanks Frang!

Remove this Banner Ad

But at 22, its about time he earnt his spot by his form, and that is all he should be promised.

What I think he realises, however, is that this isn’t necessarily the case.

Being that he could be completely dominating... but if Hooker, Hurley and Ambrose are fit, he won’t be playing seniors.

At least, that’s the view of many.

So of course he wants an assurance.

Is this the same Ridley that had 3 disposals on the weekend?

Yep, the only guy in the history of football that played a bad game.

When you've watched as much VFL as I have in the last 6 years you see some horrendous performances. There is no point hanging s**t on a kid for 1 bad game. When a pattern emerges the criticism can follow.

Francis has played some absolute stinkers.

Let's not forget that Francis couldn't run a game out for a few years.

What I think he realises, however, is that this isn’t necessarily the case.

Being that he could be completely dominating... but if Hooker, Hurley and Ambrose are fit, he won’t be playing seniors.

At least, that’s the view of many.

So of course he wants an assurance.
I love Michael Hurley, like love the guy. But his numbers are declining and he is 30 next year. Next year Hooker is 32.

At 23 Francis shouldnt be getting an armchair ride into the team, he should well be able to beat them out. Hooker, Hurley and Ambrose have missed games the last couple of years through injury anyway.

He will get a chance next year to cement himself in the team. At 23 (next year), if he is as prodigiously talented as everyone thinks, he should be able to play well enough that he isnt the first guy dropped.

At least thats my opinion. I am done with guys like Langford, Francis, Laverde etc coming in and out of the team at 23/24 and relying on talent and potential. About time they took the mantle and started becoming regular key contributors in their own right.

I love Michael Hurley, like love the guy. But his numbers are declining and he is 30 next year. Next year Hooker is 32.

At 23 Francis shouldnt be getting an armchair ride into the team, he should well be able to beat them out. Hooker, Hurley and Ambrose have missed games the last couple of years through injury anyway.

He will get a chance next year to cement himself in the team. At 23 (next year), if he is as prodigiously talented as everyone thinks, he should be able to play well enough that he isnt the first guy dropped.

At least thats my opinion. I am done with guys like Langford, Francis, Laverde etc coming in and out of the team at 23/24 and relying on talent and potential. About time they took the mantle and started becoming regular key contributors in their own right.

He’s definitely been a contributor though. For a bloke who’s played 20 games (a more reliable measure than age), he’s been very very good - far more consistent than others at that stage. He’s shown a lot offensively and defensively and to continue his development at this point, he knows as well as we do that that he needs to play regular senior footy.

The question he’s asking is fair. He still may not get into the team even with very good form. I don’t think it’s unreasonable at all. It’s not a normal situation of “just play your way in”. We definitely have a glut of talented backmen with Hooker, Hurley, Gleeson, Ambrose, Francis, Hartley, BZT, Gleeson, Redman and Ridley all capable at either HBF or key back, which is where Francis plays his best footy.

It’s totally reasonable for him to suggest he may get more opportunity to develop at senior level elsewhere.

Footy careers can be short and you have to grab what you can. If it’s better money and guaranteed senior footy (if he’s in form) elsewhere, it’s tempting over non-guaranteed senior footy (if he’s in form) at Essendon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep, the only guy in the history of football that played a bad game.

When you've watched as much VFL as I have in the last 6 years you see some horrendous performances. There is no point hanging s**t on a kid for 1 bad game. When a pattern emerges the criticism can follow.

Francis has played some absolute stinkers.
Ease up. I love Ridley and reckon he’s a massive part of future years. I’m not hanging s**t on him, just saying he’s badly out of form.

You can’t pick teams on purely conceptual terms.. you have to pick guys in form who can do the job. You’re saying you would rather Ridley in right now and but I reckon dropping Francis for a guy that had two handballs and a kick last weekend is probably pretty rough.

Hurley has had a very good year. If Redman and Gleeson are injured next season Francis will get a game. If Ambrose loses form, Hooker and or Hurley get injured. Or if he simply earns it over any of these guys. Can’t guarantee any player a game

There's pretty much always going to be a tall injured and as long as he's willing to play the odd game up forward here and there he'll be getting regular games without much problems. He's only ended up missing 3 so far this year anyway. Even during the period when most of our talls were fit (oh the good old days) it was only because all 3 of Hurley, Hooker and Ambrose were fit and Ambrose was playing his best footy that was keeping him out of the team.

He also has a great long term future at the club because Hurley and Hooker are getting on.

If only there was an end of the ground calling out for some depth and we had a swingman available to open a spot up in defence and let Francis cement his spot, without causing detriment to defence, all the while addressing said need in the other part of the ground

Ideally a season and some successful cameos since as a proof point would be good too.....

Anyone got any ideas?

If only there was an end of the ground calling out for some depth and we had a swingman available to open a spot up in defence and let Francis cement his spot, without causing detriment to defence, all the while addressing said need in the other part of the ground

Ideally a season and some successful cameos since as a proof point would be good too.....

Anyone got any ideas?

If the footy department can’t figure this one out, keep Az happy and lock him in for the long term then the club needs to shut up shop.

Redman Ambrose Francis
Saad Hurley McKenna
w/Gleeson

Fairly happy with that backline

*** Daniher Tippa
Fantasia Hooker Stringer

*** any number of players can take the 6th forward spot. But i like Hooker, Daniher and Stringer up forward.

Redman Ambrose Francis
Saad Hurley McKenna
w/Gleeson

Fairly happy with that backline

*** Daniher Tippa
Fantasia Hooker Stringer

*** any number of players can take the 6th forward spot. But i like Hooker, Daniher and Stringer up forward.
needs more Mckernan.

needs more Mckernan.
Im under no illusions that injury is going to require us to call on McKernan and Brown. And their current output means they are great depth.
McKernan's ability to assist in the ruck and Brown's ability to get back is also quite helpful.

When these guys are depth, we're stronger as a team.

Ambrose is the expendable one, yes he is an elite stopper and great 1v1 but we just have to make Hurley accountable and plays the same role instead of chasing uncontested kicks.
No. Hurley defends best when he can read the ball coming in and not when he has to defend a bloke one on one. Ambrose is the key to both Hurley and Hooker being able to do what they do best.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back