News Swans Talk in the Media 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

It's difficult to appreciate how good some of our younger players are this season because they are being asked to carry more of the load than if they had more senior players around them. Melican an example who could have done with a healthy Reg Grundy, Macca & Smith along side him for last season when he couldn't play & this season when they haven't been there.

We don't need them all to be the best in the comp individually but rather the best combination as a team going forward, who understand each other's habits. That Tiger backline took years to iron out the odd stinker of a game from each individual & the more they have played together, the far superior they look to any other backline.

It's difficult to appreciate how good some of our younger players are this season because they are being asked to carry more of the load than if they had more senior players around them. Melican an example who could have done with a healthy Reg Grundy, Macca & Smith along side him for last season when he couldn't play & this season when they haven't been there.

We don't need them all to be the best in the comp individually but rather the best combination as a team going forward, who understand each other's habits. That Tiger backline took years to iron out the odd stinker of a game from each individual & the more they have played together, the far superior they look to any other backline.

This !!!!

look who wants them rated

fly under the radar I say

They don't have to be rated. I think anyone who has so much faith in our youngsters that they are already looking forward to finals again by 2021 or 2022 is silly.

But I also think anyone who has so little faith in our youngsters that they are ready to write them off, delist them, trade them or assume they'll be average by 2021 or 2022 is just as silly.

I would just rather take them as they come and enjoy them for what they are right now, which is a good group of young fellas who have given their all in a really trying year where they've not had it anywhere near as comfortable as say Brisbane or GWS' youngsters.

They don't have to be rated. I think anyone who has so much faith in our youngsters that they are already looking forward to finals again by 2021 or 2022 is silly.

But I also think anyone who has so little faith in our youngsters that they are ready to write them off, delist them, trade them or assume they'll be average by 2021 or 2022 is just as silly.

I would just rather take them as they come and enjoy them for what they are right now, which is a good group of young fellas who have given their all in a really trying year where they've not had it anywhere near as comfortable as say Brisbane or GWS' youngsters.

It’s a fluid situation also depends on who does what, who offers what, injuries etc

Right now we have some promising players

It’s a fluid situation also depends on who does what, who offers what, injuries etc

Right now we have some promising players

That's all they need to be for now. I know I'm not panicking because none of them are superstars yet.

If they're 24/25/26 and still nothing more than promising then I'd hope we make the tough calls and don't end up with more Reid-like situations.

yeah dawson could be a grade top 10-20 in comp

florent and co no, could be long term good clubmen of course

Maybe not that high but you'd hope he'd make top 50.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Andrew Dunkley on Open Mike next week. Mike was talking it up this morning as if it is one of the better interviews he has done.
He also said Dunks spills some stuff on why he had a falling out with the club.
Here are a few articles from over the years that may help shed some light on what he may say from how he saw things.

"Dunkley has not been back to the club since he retired in 2002 and chose not to attend his own induction into the Swans' Hall of Fame two years ago.
Although Dunkley attended the 2012 grand final to cheer on his former team, unlike his two sons - Josh and Kyle - he didn't go into the Swans' rooms after the game to share in the victory celebrations.
"I don't hate the place but I've moved on," Dunkley told The Daily Telegraph.
It is understood Dunkley's animosity towards the Swans stems from the decision by then coach Paul Roos to end his stellar career at the end of 2002 as part of a rebuilding process following the Rodney Eade era.

Asked if he had a problem with 16-year-old Josh going to the Swans under the father and son rule Dunkley said: "In a perfect world he'd get a Victorian club."

Thanks Dunks!

Dunks was 34 when he retired.

he was done IMO

but think of all that experience he could have given us in 2003 ;)

If he played under horse he could have gotten another 2-3 years

He also said Dunks spills some stuff on why he had a falling out with the club.
Here are a few articles from over the years that may help shed some light on what he may say from how he saw things.

"Dunkley has not been back to the club since he retired in 2002 and chose not to attend his own induction into the Swans' Hall of Fame two years ago.
Although Dunkley attended the 2012 grand final to cheer on his former team, unlike his two sons - Josh and Kyle - he didn't go into the Swans' rooms after the game to share in the victory celebrations.
"I don't hate the place but I've moved on," Dunkley told The Daily Telegraph.
It is understood Dunkley's animosity towards the Swans stems from the decision by then coach Paul Roos to end his stellar career at the end of 2002 as part of a rebuilding process following the Rodney Eade era.

Asked if he had a problem with 16-year-old Josh going to the Swans under the father and son rule Dunkley said: "In a perfect world he'd get a Victorian club."

Thanks Dunks!

Has he really though?! As Mike mentioned this morning, he asks him why he didn't show up to his induction to the HOF.

Holding grudges and bitterness like that is really pointless, especially over whether or not you could have played another year at 35.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back