Remove this Banner Ad

Aeglos

Cancelled
Sep 27, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Riverpigs
Sore legs and pecs you can work around, sore back and you’re totally f’ed for work and everything else in your life. Can’t bend over, you can’t do s**t!

Do you walk on your hands?
Notwithstanding that without a torso your legs wouldn’t be connected to you, I disagree that they’re (legs) any less important than your back.
I’ve seen patients who have genuinely ****ed backs (rods, screws, ankylosing spondylitis and all sorts of other things) and who couldn’t even bend far enough to touch their knees yet were able to work and generally go about their life.
The other thing to remember is that the soreness you experience after lifting weights isn’t indicative of tissue damage (at least not to the point where’s it’s likely to physically prohibit you from doing most things); your back isn’t a magical exception to this.

Notwithstanding that without a torso your legs wouldn’t be connected to you, I disagree that they’re (legs) any less important than your back.
I’ve seen patients who have genuinely f’ed backs (rods, screws, ankylosing spondylitis and all sorts of other things) and who couldn’t even bend far enough to touch their knees yet were able to work and generally go about their life.
The other thing to remember is that the soreness you experience after lifting weights isn’t indicative of tissue damage (at least not to the point where’s it’s likely to physically prohibit you from doing most things); your back isn’t a magical exception to this.
Moreso meaning if you hurt your back and it’s painful (sore is good, pain is bad) that you can’t bend over. The 3 times I’ve done mine deadlifting and retrying before its good again has had me unable to bend over for 2-3 days. It affects work and general life, if my legs/pecs are sore after a session I can cope.

Aeglos

Cancelled
Sep 27, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Riverpigs
Moreso meaning if you hurt your back and it’s painful (sore is good, pain is bad) that you can’t bend over. The 3 times I’ve done mine deadlifting and retrying before its good again has had me unable to bend over for 2-3 days. It affects work and general life, if my legs/pecs are sore after a session I can cope.

Apples and oranges.
The better comparison would be a hamstring, quad or glute strain against the back pain you’re describing.
My own personal experience suggests the back is more painful but the hamstring or quad strain worse functionally.

SHAKESPEARE

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 21, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The problem you’ll run into now is that if you go back to conventional your back will be deconditioned.
We’re a bit precious about our backs sometimes. Sore legs after squatting or sore pecs after benching? No worries. Sore back after deadlifts? WW3 and we all have leprosy.
I still do both, but prefer the hex.

Deadlift helps with my poor grip

saj_21

Cancelled
Melbourne Board Tipping Champion
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
I’ve seen patients who have genuinely f’ed backs (rods, screws, ankylosing spondylitis and all sorts of other things) and who couldn’t even bend far enough to touch their knees yet were able to work and generally go about their life.

Completely agree, i would go as far as the vast majority of people who feel "soreness" confuse it with an injury, the body is fairly resilient and i would think more people could push through soreness with more training and better recovery.

I base this on some of the blokes i play footy with who are always sore "injured", but they are the worst trainers and don't do anything else outside of footy.

SHAKESPEARE

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 21, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Tried Platz squats for lots of reps...i liked it.

My Achilles is sore as s**t, but my quads feel insane :)

Oct 6, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
on a journey through time and space
The problem you’ll run into now is that if you go back to conventional your back will be deconditioned.
We’re a bit precious about our backs sometimes. Sore legs after squatting or sore pecs after benching? No worries. Sore back after deadlifts? WW3 and we all have leprosy.
Deconditioned from sumo deads?

Worth keeping some conventional deads in the mix to keep the back in shape?

Aeglos

Cancelled
Sep 27, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Riverpigs
Deconditioned from sumo deads?

Worth keeping some conventional deads in the mix to keep the back in shape?

It depends somewhat on how you perform sumo ie if it’s like a wide stance conventional then it’s not as much of an issue.

Doesn’t have to be conventional deadlifts, but just something “back dominant” like a RDL, good morning, 45 degree back raise would be good to include for a more “complete” program.

dorianyates

Senior List
Sep 27, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond
1 week into a new program - Easy Strength.
Front squats 2 x 5, deadlifts 2 x 5, incline barbell press 2 x 5, pull ups 2 x 5, kettlebell/dumbbell swings 2 x 5.
The only difference is I will do 2 core sessions per week.
Training Mon, Tues, Wed, Fri, Saturday for a total of 40 workouts. Has anyone had any success with this program?
My worst lift is the front squat which I’ve only been doing for around 2 months.

deklares

Premiership Player
Oct 7, 2009
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Robert Whittaker
Aeglos Can you explain what cheating with the SSB squat means? Ive heard it mentioned but don't know exactly how you cheat. I've recently converted to SSB and love it but don't know if that's because im cheating...?

Aeglos

Cancelled
Sep 27, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Riverpigs
Aeglos Can you explain what cheating with the SSB squat means? Ive heard it mentioned but don't know exactly how you cheat. I've recently converted to SSB and love it but don't know if that's because im cheating...?

Basically if you push up on the handles it makes the squat easier.
For this reason I either go no hands or hold out near the plates like so

Anyone running a type of gzcl?

I'd never heard of it before tbh.
I googled it and it looks pretty similar to 5/3/1 and the Cube method with monthly linear progression mesocycles?

Finally seemed to have found my grove with front squats and I'm really feeling them hit my quads, had never really found a comfortable way to execute them until I found this video

Yeah I go the thumbs under route. Have for ages.
Front squats are definitely on my post foot season agenda.
I've decided that from skating, footy and doing quad work in my warm ups that my quads are all show and no go (so lots of heavy doubles and triples).
Squats and deads are definitely too posterior chain dominant, even for my lifting in multi ply gear.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

SHAKESPEARE

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 21, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Finally seemed to have found my grove with front squats and I'm really feeling them hit my quads, had never really found a comfortable way to execute them until I found this video

My wrists don't go that way.

AthleanX had a good work around that might help me

SHAKESPEARE

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 21, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Avoided chest/push workout for an entire week.

Going to try getting back into it tomorrow. Bit worried about the shoulder

Oct 6, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
on a journey through time and space
Got within a bees dick of doing a muscle up by following the advice in this video, 99% sure next pull day I'll nail it

I did it :)

Managed a single muscle up last night after a fairly rigorous warm up.

Could not manage a second though unfortunately, need to work on my "muscle up grip" pull ups as my forearms were pretty fried after last nights session

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I did it :)

Managed a single muscle up last night after a fairly rigorous warm up.

Could not manage a second though unfortunately, need to work on my "muscle up grip" pull ups as my forearms were pretty fried after last nights session
I'm guessing like most doing muscle ups (including me), it's the transition that gives the grief when you fail. If you're already doing weighted pull ups and dips then shoulders could be the weak point, as they come into it for transitions. Though they are a bloody temperamental movement IMO, sometimes I get a groove and can do 3 smooth one's, other times a couple that look like I'm having a vertical epileptic fit or trying to hump the bar as I go over it. :huh:

SHAKESPEARE

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 21, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Avoided chest/push workout for an entire week.

Going to try getting back into it tomorrow. Bit worried about the shoulder
Piked out on Saturday after getting sloshed on Friday night.

Gave it a crack yesterday and woke up with a sore AF chest. You don't really feel that post workout pain when you consistently work our each week!

Shoulder is fine, and I am ready to get back into it.

Aeglos

Cancelled
Sep 27, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Riverpigs
Jen Smith just benched 130kg at 60kg bodyweight, huuuuuge total incoming at BoB.

Her most recent vids are a 205kg x 2 squat, 130kg bench and 202.5kg deadlift.
Meanwhile the 90kg women’s was won with ~135/85/180 at APL nationals on the w/e.
I really dislike PL sometimes haha.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back