Opinion Colin Young

Remove this Banner Ad

This is like really really bad guys. How is this not huge news???

By the way this is Colin Young and no this isn’t photoshopped.
f12642b9bb5b14889d8c48ca129179d7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After the season is finished, you can probably take 5-7 names off that list

That's still 11-13 too many.

... but what are we going to do? Unfortunately there exists this concept we call a necessary evil, Colin Young personifies the concept quite well.

Heard on duff and quarters podcast that colin young was interfering in the internal workings of the club apparently tried to prevent bell from getting a contract extension.
Can anyone remember Belly’s player agent?
Was it Van der Wielen ? Same fella as Kelly ?
Can’t remember

tbf if you were the agent and three of your players had injuries that you felt the club had mismanaged you'd say something as well.
tbf, that's like a real estate agent giving an opinion on the structural integrity of the houses he is managing, i.e. unqualified. Pretty sure Bennell had issues coming into the club (and Kersten had issues to) and Freo was the only ones prepared to give him a go regardless. But now it's Freo's fault because they wouldn't entertain high risk surgical options? For those of us business owners it's called PI Insurance, managing risk, and avoiding future litigation when it all goes pear shaped.

Yes, there are obviously one or both of the issues that the Freo S&C conditioning team don't know what they're doing, and/or the strategies employed by the coaches in training and games puts too much stress load on the legs of our talls. But I certainly wouldn't be putting Bennell (or Kersten) up as the poster boy for those issues.

I was always taught, putting someone else down to make yourself look good just makes you a d1ck. I'm not sure Young's other Freo players would be too thrilled he's using their club to further his interests.

tbf, that's like a real estate agent giving an opinion on the structural integrity of the houses he is managing, i.e. unqualified. Pretty sure Bennell had issues coming into the club (and Kersten had issues to) and Freo was the only ones prepared to give him a go regardless. But now it's Freo's fault because they wouldn't entertain high risk surgical options? For those of us business owners it's called PI Insurance, managing risk, and avoiding future litigation when it all goes pear shaped.

Yes, there are obviously one or both of the issues that the Freo S&C conditioning team don't know what they're doing, and/or the strategies employed by the coaches in training and games puts too much stress load on the legs of our talls. But I certainly wouldn't be putting Bennell (or Kersten) up as the poster boy for those issues.

I was always taught, putting someone else down to make yourself look good just makes you a d1ck. I'm not sure Young's other Freo players would be too thrilled he's using their club to further his interests.

I was about to post the same line of thinking.

Obviously Young is not particularly interested in making Freo or fans like us happy or well informed or anything else along those lines. He's in the business of getting the best for his players and, buy certain extentension, for himself - and not necessarily in that order.

There are some who go about it with some integrity and decorum, and there are some who don't care if they act like total dicks doing it - I'll leave it up to the reader to work out which category Young fits into.

I think the players' interests are not best served by being managed by the same guy as all your teammates.

Think of the maths of the situation:

The salary cap is a pie. It is pretty static, as there is an upper limit and a 95% lower limit. You and the other players are competing against each other for parts of that pie. Any pie you get, your team mates don't get. Any pie they get, you don't get. Like it or not you are in an adversarial relationship with your teammates, just like a court case.
If your agent is unique to you then he has your interests, and only your interests, at heart. He is financially motivated to go after the best deal possible for you and doesn't give a damn about who misses out.
But if he manages lots of players at a team then he is in a quandary. Dollars he gets you are lost to his other clients. He doesn't want to go too hard.
Its like a lawyer or business person advocating for both sides in a matter.

A system that allows more than a few players at any club to have the same agent is flawed in design. It works against the interests of the players and the AFLPA should consider imposing some limits.

I think the players' interests are not best served by being managed by the same guy as all your teammates.

Think of the maths of the situation:

The salary cap is a pie. It is pretty static, as there is an upper limit and a 95% lower limit. You and the other players are competing against each other for parts of that pie. Any pie you get, your team mates don't get. Any pie they get, you don't get. Like it or not you are in an adversarial relationship with your teammates, just like a court case.
If your agent is unique to you then he has your interests, and only your interests, at heart. He is financially motivated to go after the best deal possible for you and doesn't give a damn about who misses out.
But if he manages lots of players at a team then he is in a quandary. Dollars he gets you are lost to his other clients. He doesn't want to go too hard.
Its like a lawyer or business person advocating for both sides in a matter.

A system that allows more than a few players at any club to have the same agent is flawed in design. It works against the interests of the players and the AFLPA should consider imposing some limits.
a very good point. Works in the US where there are many agents for many players across a wide number of sports. Yet, as you highlight, we have a few agents 'advocating' for a number of players in the same club of a salary capped sport. Clear potential for conflicts of interest.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

a very good point. Works in the US where there are many agents for many players across a wide number of sports. Yet, as you highlight, we have a few agents 'advocating' for a number of players in the same club of a salary capped sport. Clear potential for conflicts of interest.

I think it is a concrete, rather than potential conflict of interest.

Young’s Freo Clients

B.Hill
S.Hill

His statements could also be planting the seeds for a "Stephen Hill isn't cooked his injuries were just mismanaged he'll be fine with you guys, give him a 3 year deal" discussion with Gold Coast and a "Brad Hill isn't a s**t bloke for asking out in the middle of a contract, he's just disappointed with how his brother's injuries were managed" discussion with which ever Melbourne clubs will pay him the most.

The problem is the strength and direction of the club - not a player manager.

If we were confident in our direction and we're trending up on the back of good list management.....Young would either shut up or alternatively he wouldn't be taken notice of.

Really have to get this chip off of our shoulder, Hardie/Hagdorn - they only have impact when we let them.

No problem with Young wanting the best for his clients, and we've obviously done OK .....however he's a player manager - if we want target A - do we ignore him because Young is his manager? Build the list you want - and through strength just ignore all of these distractions.

The Colyer 3 year term is the only WTF signing I can recall.

If Young didn't want Bell - even better.

Young’s Freo Clients

B.Hill
S.Hill
Walters
Hamling
Wilson
Conca
Logue
McCarthy
Banfield
Coyler
O’Reilly
Carter
Jones
Bennell
Kersten
Ballas
Sandi
Matera

that explains a lot......could be 11 of those gone by end of 2020.....and possibly 6-7 end of this year. If I was in his game Id be looking to corner the market somehow someway....with new players recruited by the club under my management. If that meant partnerships with certain coaches and administrators and media the that would be the go...its business even as much as supporters (me included) don't like it.

How about instead of pretending that it's a big conspiracy with absolutely everyone out to get Freo, some of you accept that our club actually has problems?

How about instead of pretending that it's a big conspiracy with absolutely everyone out to get Freo, some of you accept that our club actually has problems?

Agreed.

Bashing our injury management - I have some sympathy for this position.

He was Mitchell Clark's manager, so I'd reckon there's probably been tension between Colin Young and Ross Lyon from the very beginning at Fremantle.

From Oct 10 2008 ......I think I've just reached an age where I can just re-post s**t and say 'just update the names'.

That is the thing about a line in the sand ....it is where it is.

Carlton IMHO have fully expected Freo to give by this point in time, Young expects it, Warnock expects it.

We want appropriate compensation not a dollar less ...FFC has set that amount and the pick has fallen short.

Throw in your 3rd rounder/adequate player ...there are other options but it is a game of chicken now.

Young manages -
Aaron Sandilands
Adam Campbell
Brett Peake
Kepler Bradley
Luke Webster
Michael Johnson
Paul Duffield
Robert Warnock
Roger Hayden
Steve Dodd

So far Campbell got upset over game time and asked if he could speak to other teams, there was a rumour about Hayden in our media ...on the other side Kerr/McKinley were being thrown around in the media.

With so many players under his control - this is more about showing him that when we set a price - that is the price. You guys will just be collateral in all of this.

Also it is pick 24 ...hardly going to send us into the streets rioting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back