News Footy Department Changes and News Mega Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

FreoBraddles

Team Captain
Feb 19, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Thought we needed a thread for all things footy department, coaching, strength and conditioning etc. as we all likely see an abundance of announcements over coming weeks and then saw someone recommend a coaching changes thread so thought I’d get to it.

Once home later I’ll add all current positions and most recent news to the OP.

Chief Executive Officer - Vacant - Graham Parker - Interim CEO

FOOTBALL OPERATIONS
General Manger of Football Operations -
Peter Bell - Commenced October 2018 | Recently re-signed until 2022. (Confirmed: Bell 2022 Extension)

COACHING
Senior Coach -
Justin Longmuir - Commenced September 30 2019 | Contracted until 2022.

Defensive Coach - Michael Prior - Commenced 2008 | Contracted until 2019.
Midfield Coach - Simon Eastaugh - Commenced 2014? | Contracted until 2019.
Midfield Coach - Anthony Rock - Commenced 2016 | Contracted until 2019.
Forwards Coach - David Hale - Commenced 2016 | Contracted until 2020.

Defensive Development Coach - Roger Hayden - Commenced 2012 | Contracted until..
Forward Development Coach - Brent Guerra - Commenced 2016 | Departing at end of 2019 (Confirmed: Guerra to depart Freo)
Midfield Development Coach - Adam Read - Commenced 2007 (Recruiting role) | Contracted until..

Opposition Analyst - Leigh Montagna - Commenced 2019

Next Gen Academy Coach - Tendai Mzungu - Commenced 2018.

LIST MANAGEMENT AND RECRUITMENT
List Manager -
Mark Micallef - Commenced 2019 | Contracted until 2021?
Head of Recruitment / National Draft Manager - David Walls

STRENGTH AND CONDITIONING/MEDICAL
Sports Science High Performance Manager - Jason Weber -
Strength and Conditioning Coach - Jackson Dennis - Commenced 2015

Club Doctor - Ken Withers - Commenced 1995
Senior Medical Officer - Dr Peter Steele

——-

I know that wouldn’t necessarily be the full teams for Strength and conditioning and list management/recruitment so if anyone else has details on others please let me know and I will add them to the post.

Last edited:
Did Guera leave or was he pushed? Until our injuries caught up with us our backline was pretty great.

Duffield in his article stating there will be more changes to the coaching panel. Looks like there will be a big clean up and Ross will survive?

This is my read on it - Similar to what Tigers did in 2016 and Saints last year.

Give Ross the best possible support for 2020 and if the improvement isn’t satisfactory then he’s out the door and the club can firmly say they gave him as much support as possible.

As long as we do bring in some quality assistant coaches I’m happy with the plan, and hopefully Belly has been making moves to secure such people.

Bring in JLo as Senior Assistant on a 2-year contract. Give Ross the boot at the end of 2020, unless the team makes Top 6 and wins a final, then maybe consider extending. But basically the plan should be to give him the arse at the end of his contract, and install Longmuir as Senior Coach.

If they decide to keep Ross, after the 2-year contract, Longmuir’s free to look at other opportunities. If Ross *s up, then a new senior coach who’s already been in our system for a year is ready to step into the role.

If Longmuir’s not interested, go hard at Caracalla, or one of Clarkson’s experienced underlings.

Let Ross know there’s someone breathing down his neck.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Know it wont happen as they are too entrenched in the media but getting someone like Del Santo would be good, even tonight when commenting the Hawk/Roos game he said once someone got off the chain even a little you lock the down with someone, complete contrast to when I hear one of our guys (I think Hale ) in a pre match interview with 6PR before the Swans game when he was asked if we would lock down Lloyd as he had 42 or so against us earlier in the season, Hale said "No, we trust our system and processes"......halfway through the first I think he had 10 possesions already.

"From about May, as planned, the scope that he's been given by myself is to really look at all operations, not just for this season but how we set it up for next season, 2020 and beyond.
"(We're) looking at things we can enhance, improve, do differently, including people and structures and those sorts of things.
"That work is ongoing. We reported on that at our board meeting earlier this week and by the end of the year, we'll look to turn up those plans under Peter's guidance and I'll be assisting him strongly in that.

Rosich Comments - Injury Management/AFLPA and Football Review

Thought we needed a thread for all things footy department, coaching, strength and conditioning etc. as we all likely see an abundance of announcements over coming weeks and then saw someone recommend a coaching changes thread so thought I’d get to it.

Once home later I’ll add all current positions and most recent news to the OP.

FOOTBALL OPERATIONS
General Manger of Football Operations - Peter Bell - Commenced October 2018 | Recently re-signed until 2022. (Confirmed: Bell 2022 Extension)

COACHING
Senior Coach -
Ross Lyon - Commenced 2012 | Contracted until 2020.

Defensive Coach - Michael Prior - Commenced 2008 | Contracted until 2019.
Midfield Coach - Simon Eastaugh - Commenced 2014? | Contracted until 2019.
Midfield Coach - Anthony Rock - Commenced 2016 | Contracted until 2019.
Forwards Coach - David Hale - Commenced 2016 | Contracted until 2020.

Defensive Development Coach - Roger Hayden - Commenced 2012 | Contracted until..
Forward Development Coach - Brent Guerra - Commenced 2016 | Departing at end of 2019 (Confirmed: Guerra to depart Freo)
Midfield Development Coach - Adam Read - Commenced 2007 (Recruiting role) | Contracted until..

Next Gen Academy Coach - Tendai Mzungu - Commenced 2018.

LIST MANAGEMENT AND RECRUITMENT
List Manager -
Mark Micallef - Commenced 2019 | Contracted until 2021?
Head of Recruitment / National Draft Manager - David Walls

STRENGTH AND CONDITIONING/MEDICAL
Sports Science High Performance Manager - Jason Weber -
Strength and Conditioning Coach - Jackson Dennis - Commenced 2015

Club Doctor - Ken Withers - Commenced 1995
Senior Medical Officer - Dr Peter Steele

I know that wouldn’t necessarily be the full teams for Strength and conditioning and list management/recruitment so if anyone else has details on others please let me know and I will add them to the post.
Opposition Analysist - Leigh Montagna Commenced 2019 Contracted until ?

Chief Executive Officer - Steve Rosich Commenced 2008 Contacted until end 2019?

General Manger of Football - Peter Bell Commenced Sept 25th 2018 Contacted until end 2022 ?

Duffield in his article stating there will be more changes to the coaching panel. Looks like there will be a big clean up and Ross will survive?
Looks like Ross will survive and has been endorsed to be coaching in 2020 at least, by Rosich.

It was reported from the meeting in Melbourne that all our assistant coaches were "on notice". Then by the deadline of 1st August we've heard that only one assistant coach's contract hasn't been renewed and that he (Guerra) has been back in Melbourne for at least two weeks already.

So have we renewed all the other assistant coaches contracts and flogged them with a wet lettuce leaf?

Or have other assistant contracts not been renewed and this has been surpressed?

Looks like Ross will survive and has been endorsed to be coaching in 2020 at least, by Rosich.

It was reported from the meeting in Melbourne that all our assistant coaches were "on notice". Then by the deadline of 1st August we've heard that only one assistant coach's contract hasn't been renewed and that he (Guerra) has been back in Melbourne for at least two weeks already.

So have we renewed all the other assistant coaches contracts and flogged them with a wet lettuce leaf?

Or have other assistant contracts not been renewed and this has been surpressed?
Only Hale has a contract I believe. I doubt any announcements will come before end of season. Guerra was only the developmental coach so not crucial to our remaining fixtures.

Only Hale has a contract I believe. I doubt any announcements will come before end of season. Guerra was only the developmental coach so not crucial to our remaining fixtures.

This is how I see it. Guerra’s announcement doesn’t upset the team balance since he would have been mostly working with the Peel group.

The announcement also didn’t state he was leaving at the end of the season, could he be leaving already?

This is how I see it. Guerra’s announcement doesn’t upset the team balance since he would have been mostly working with the Peel group.

The announcement also didn’t state he was leaving at the end of the season, could he be leaving already?
I thought I read he has been on personal leave for a few weeks?

Know it wont happen as they are too entrenched in the media but getting someone like Del Santo would be good, even tonight when commenting the Hawk/Roos game he said once someone got off the chain even a little you lock the down with someone, complete contrast to when I hear one of our guys (I think Hale ) in a pre match interview with 6PR before the Swans game when he was asked if we would lock down Lloyd as he had 42 or so against us earlier in the season, Hale said "No, we trust our system and processes"......halfway through the first I think he had 10 possesions already.
I always like Dal Santo's media style, straightforward sensible approach and practical analysis.

would be happy with that...maybe a succession plan could be arranged, hopefully it works out better than it did at the pies though....he's been in melb a long time though, so doubt it would happen - probably would go to one of the other melb teams

Remove this Banner Ad

Back