Analysis Get Rid of Medical and Fitness Staff

Remove this Banner Ad

Mukesh

Premiership Player
Oct 23, 2014
Kalapathar, Havelock Island
AFL Club
Collingwood

It's all in the genes... apparently... so mandatory DNA tests for all draftees and recruits...

Jamie Elliott is determined to continue his career in black and white stripes despite injury concerns that Nathan Buckley concedes have him playing in “survival mode”.
Collingwood’s continued injury crisis will see the Pies play Gold Coast despite almost half of their players injured and unavailable.

Despite calls for a full blown review the Pies insist there are no issues with their Holden Centre surface and have no plans for a formal investigation over and above end-of-year assessments.

Let's hold off renewing our memberships next year until the club get serious and review the cause for so many injuries for so long. This has gone too far and is too serious for them to keep on ignoring it anymore. Whu should we pay year after year to look after a sick bay list.

Did an inspection of it last year and its apparantely a better ground than most. So not the ground.

Do we understand what is meant by ‘good’, ‘bad’ and ‘better’ with respect to risk of injury?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Here is a history of Olympic Park, including early uses and what happended there up to and including the recent Glasshouse development:

(Looks like John Wren had some eary involvement too - we are cursed!)

Maybe we need to bring back that “Druid’s Festival” to the site? :p

Here is a history of Olympic Park, including early uses and what happended there up to and including the recent Glasshouse development:

Curious that the author finishes with a point about “Whilst there is no ‘children’s playground’ “ ... are there planning recommendations around such things for such sites? Do we need one if those?

Not sure what I’m looking at in that 1940 pic. Is it the oval in the bottom or the top of pic that’s the site of the present day Olympic Park Oval? That top Oval looks like it’s got a better orientation (more east-west) than the present day Oval.

I may be missing something, but the surface of the oval appears to have always been - dirt, grass, etc.

I dont know the geology of this area on the north bank of the Yarra River, and other posters might. That could be an issue.

Otherwise it seems inconceivable to me that the club, or our predecessors, would dig up the surface to put down a hard layer beneath. The oval is not sited on top of a carpark or a basement. When the old OP buildings were pulled down - mid-2000s - surely the practice then was to remove the building rubble (and any other nasties) from the site, and not bury the stuff or use it as fill?

It’s probably since been answered ...

... but the domain tunnel runs under the oval:

2302A0FE-A0D5-4ACE-A0CA-A92BF4FE3367.png

I’m pretty sure this was tunnelled (rather than open cut and backfilled) so doubt it’d be close enough to the surface to make any difference. That’s supported by the tunnel running underneath the foundations of the old Glasshouse and AAMI Park stadium ...

... although any low frequency vibrations from BringouttheGimp rumbling through the Domain Tunnel in his 1971 Valiant Charger would definitely pose a serious risk of injury to any players training on the oval overhead.

Last edited:
Surely there's going to be another full blown review done on the entire fitness program and injury management processes as well as all the personnel in these critical areas at seasons end?Totally unacceptable with what's going on with our injury rates. Yes all clubs get injuries but why are ours so great in numbers and repetitive since 2014/15? 2012/2013

EFA - we had an epidemic of ACL’s (6 IIRC) in the 2 years after Buckley took over plus a bunch of other issues (shoulders)

I’m not sure medical reviews are helping. We’ve had three of them (at least) over the period.

I wonder whether a program of continuous improvement is needed? Ie: rather than simply having formal reviews from time-to-time to see how things can be improved ...

... change the approach to be one where improvement is part of the process itself.

The soil in that area is silty clay, same as Vic Park.

Focusing on sub grade is a red herring imo it’s predicated on the assumption that insitu soil is “soft”. With the exception of problematic soils throughout melbourne houses are typically founded on soil, generally at 600 deep there’s sufficient bearing capacity for a second story. So insitu soil isn’t “soft”.

Rather I’d be investigating the drainage, with modern playing surfaces there’s a significant buildup over the natural ground which is graded to allow efficient drainage. There is a relationship between soil strength and moisture conditioning. So is the drainage too efficient and not enough moisture retained in the soil medium.

I think it needs to begin with understanding what is good and bad with respect to injury prevention. Is soft good? Is hard good? Where in the middle is good? I’d imagine there’d be more parameters than simply ‘hard’ and ‘soft’ too - there’d be a difference between long cut grass on a base as hard as concrete, versus short cut grass on a more moist surface.

There’s also a lot of discussion on this topic about construction. There’d also be an issue of maintenance - is the ground being prepared correctly for training? (Cutting Grass to correct length, watering to correct moisture level, grass being fertilised correctly to ensure consistent growth, etc, etc)

It should be independent this time. Not driven from within.

What do you mean by “independent”?

Not sure that it could have been much more independent? Peter Murphy came in from outside the club. Chris Thomas came from outside the club. Geoff Walsh had only been at the club for six months.

Curious that the author finishes with a point about “Whilst there is no ‘children’s playground’ “ ... are there planning recommendations around such things for such sites? Do we need one if those?

A playground for the children running the club? Why bother when they treat their responsibilities as play time.:rolleyes:

How come under mm we never had these injuries ...

I think it’s a fair question to ask.

It’s not unreasonable that, comparing different sporting administrations ...

One might be more inclined to cause players to perform actions beyond the capabilities of their bodies.

One might be creating more mentally stressful environments that have physical consequences.

Etc, etc

If the soft tissue injuries have largely - but not entirely - occurred in the second half of the season, then logic suggests it’s nothing to do with the OP surface. Otherwise we’d have them, to a similar extent, in the pre- and early season.

Maybe it’s more to do with training loads, and having some very susceptible players whose loads are ramped up at exactly the wrong time, e.g. when they are due to play on hard surfaces like Optus or Marvel stadiums.

Back