Opinion 2020 Changes

Remove this Banner Ad

It's getting ugly at the top so we have to find a way to cut and replace on the fly to get the demographic balanced again

Age Next Year:

Wells 35 if he plays again this year 1 more year same minimal money.
Dunn 33 delist
Goldy 33 delist
Varcoe 32 undecided leaning to delist
Pendles 32
Reid 31 delist
Mayne 31
Greenwood 31 if wants to stay on lower money
Beams 30
Howe 30
Sidebottom 29
Roughead 29
Cox 29
Thomas 28
Elliott 28
Treloar 27
Mihocek 27
Madgen 27 cheap depth/delist / upgrade to Andy Otten
Wills 27 trade

Add

Crocker 🔼 Fogarty
Broomhead

That’s 8 list changes without even looking at it too closely.

We will have a season of bottom 2 in the next 5 years. We have overdone the investing for now caper and spent too much too often for too little. It will bite us in that timeframe.

Which makes the game plan changes even more of a head scratcher, as it means they were of the belief they could win one with a few senior recruits but then they basically threw out the method that got us there.

We will have a season of bottom 2 in the next 5 years. We have overdone the investing for now caper and spent too much too often for too little. It will bite us in that timeframe.
Beams was a stuff up in terms of the future, but Grundy, Degoey, Stephenson, Moore (if he gets his body right), Treloar, Adams, Crisp, Langdon and Maynard should be the core of a competitive team for the next 5 years.. Obviously need to add players and have a few current youngsters develop, but these guys are good.

Beams was a stuff up in terms of the future, but Grundy, Degoey, Stephenson, Moore (if he gets his body right), Treloar, Adams, Crisp, Langdon and Maynard should be the core of a competitive team for the next 5 years.. Obviously need to add players and have a few current youngsters develop, but these guys are good.

Reads a bit like Carltons 2008 team which finished 11th:

Kreuzer, Judd, Murphy, Gibbs, Walker, Waite, Betts, Grigg, Scottland, Simpson

Grundy is gone! I told everyone 6 week ago that he and Buckley had a fallout and Grundy told the club to trade him. That's why we have collapsed and Buckley refuses to give him coaches votes. He will win a Brownlow with Adelaide and we will diddly squat.
I wouldn’t be surprised, I picked up on the frosty Grundy handshake he gave Bucks just after the Eagles win. If Grundy does leave we have to ensure we win that trade a rip the Crows for picks & players.

Reads a bit like Carltons 2008 team which finished 11th:

Kreuzer, Judd, Murphy, Gibbs, Walker, Waite, Betts, Grigg, Scottland, Simpson
I reckon you could make a similar list of estabished blokes from most successful teams as well. My point is that we have a very respectable group of established guys who should still be playing good footy fot the mext 5 years. It's not doomsday, a lot would have to go wrong for us to become cellar dwellers during this time.

Grundy is gone! I told everyone 6 week ago that he and Buckley had a fallout and Grundy told the club to trade him. That's why we have collapsed and Buckley refuses to give him coaches votes. He will win a Brownlow with Adelaide and we will diddly squat.

It would be just our luck to draft a player who could be a great and he leaves. If it's out of Grundy and Buckley, Buckley can leave! I don't believe these sort of rumours though. Often they are convenient to someone's hopes.

*Treloar 26 but durable

Sen:
Murphy Keane Schaz
Quaynor Kelly J Aish

Grundy Treloar Adams
Phillips Maynard Crisp

Brown WHE Stephenson
Moore De Goey Daicos

Sier Noble T Brown Lynch
With Maynard and Crisp in that midfield it shows we lack the next generation of midfielders. Unless we consider De Goey in there in which case the forwards are missing something. I see it like this:

FB: Maynard - Keane - Scharenberg
HB: Crisp - Moore - Quaynor

C: Phillips - Treloar* - Aish
Fol: Grundy - Adams - Sier

HF: C Brown - Mihocek* - WHE
FF: De Goey - Wilson - Stephenson

Int: Murphy, T Brown, Noble, Daicos

*26yo

I reckon that highlights a need for higher quality developing key positions and midfielders with physical size and foot speed.
Tom Langdon only turned 25 recently, and deserves a spot somewhere!

Tom Langdon only turned 25 recently, and deserves a spot somewhere!
Yep, missed and fixed, dropped Noble but in reality Sier may be gone

Sen:
Murphy Keane Scharenberg
Quaynor Kelly Langdon

Grundy Treloar Adams
Phillips Maynard Crisp

Brown WHE Stephenson
Moore De Goey Daicos

Sier Aish T Brown Lynch

Yep, missed and fixed, dropped Noble but in reality Sier may be gone

Sen:
Murphy Keane Scharenberg
Quaynor Kelly Langdon

Grundy Treloar Adams
Phillips Maynard Crisp

Brown WHE Stephenson
Moore De Goey Daicos

Sier Aish T Brown Lynch
With that side, I'd be worried about having both Keane and Kelly as key defenders, and would want Moore down back. Which would leave the forward line rather light on for height, but Lynch could get a go there. Overall, I think we have quite a reasonable amount of 25-and-under talent.

With that side, I'd be worried about having both Keane and Kelly as key defenders, and would want Moore down back. Which would leave the forward line rather light on for height, but Lynch could get a go there. Overall, I think we have quite a reasonable amount of 25-and-under talent.
Yeah it's not bad for projecting 3 to 5 years down the track, but it's really lacking the key elements to a flag, the midfield is light on and there's no reliable key forward to build a premiership around so we have our work cut out for us if want managae that on the fly, need a couple of killer trades

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No I am making a point that whilst all cat b's by there nature are speculative, we have used it to load up in an area (KPP) we aren't using low end picks on. Hine clearly as a tactic of trying to find high athletic crossovers and hoping it turns out in our favour with time, but it is very risky given the spine is arguably the most crucial part of most successful teams and cat b's lack of AR background.

So his point of too many highly speculative types is correct in that the roles we are in need of have all mostly been filled by cat b rookies, we have nothing coming through with background from elite KPP AR pathways.
So yes while pick 1-10 still has a small chance of failure it in comparison to pick 30 or 60 or 90 or cat b rookies, is infinitely greater chance of making it then not.

So whilst his point is slightly different it is also along the same lines.

Actually yes. You've opened a completely different discussion about the efficacy of speculative picks rather than a discussion about the quantum of them on our list.

On your point. I'm a strong advocate for running a full Cat B list irrespective of what position those players will play. I therefore don't have an issue that we look for KPP types via that avenue. I agree, we consistently fail to draft enough KPP types, but that's a separate discussion to what Darky & I were discussing.

Fair dinkum
You NEVER TRY TO UNDERSTAND
Name a club that has 36 years of total footy experience spread over 9 players
Name any club

To think you still feel that a draft choice is the same as picking a kid from another sport

Lol

No worries. Seems you're incapable of providing anything other than disjointed incomprehensible ramblings telling me what I (apparently) actually think rather than addressing any of the points I've raised so I'm clearly wasting my time. I'll leave it there.

Ramble on!

Actually yes. You've opened a completely different discussion about the efficacy of speculative picks rather than a discussion about the quantum of them on our list.

On your point. I'm a strong advocate for running a full Cat B list irrespective of what position those players will play. I therefore don't have an issue that we look for KPP types via that avenue. I agree, we consistently fail to draft enough KPP types, but that's a separate discussion to what Darky & I were discussing.

Im also in favour of having a full list of cat b's, but not at the expense of not looking to draft a type early because of it. Cat B's should be a back up plan not a main source.

I reckon you could make a similar list of estabished blokes from most successful teams as well. My point is that we have a very respectable group of established guys who should still be playing good footy fot the mext 5 years. It's not doomsday, a lot would have to go wrong for us to become cellar dwellers during this time.

You think we couldn't bottom out when Pendles, Beams, Sidey, Howe, Roughead etc have all bowed out over the next 2-4 years or so?

Dunno if I share your optimism. I think we have 100% loaded up for now at the expense of future and a fair chance to pay for it badly down the not to distant road.

Firstly
T brown didn't play school footy to his last year , didn't play junior footy
Source his father
Secondly atu was recruited from rugby , played 1 year
Source his mouth and his grandmother
Murphy
I year school footy , wicket keeper Aussie juniors
Source Robert shaw
Max lynch
I year m
Tac, soccer goalkeeper
That's 4 guys

You Wanta maybe back up your claims
WHich clubs has more under developed on primary list
Feel free
Fire away

Validate your argument

Any clubs
I'll give you the figian at Geelong
Ill give you McKenna
I'll give you Connor glass

And two of em are cat b

Can you even try to actually write a meaningful sentence rather than some 3-4 word unintelligible disjointed meaningless crap?

What argument do I have to validate? That ever club drafts kids? That every club looks at Cat B players? They're the only 2 points I've made, are you saying they're not right?

Im also in favour of having a full list of cat b's, but not at the expense of not looking to draft a type early because of it. Cat B's should be a back up plan not a main source.

I've never claimed that they are.

Does this or something similar make us better?

Grundy for O'Brien and 1st round
Moore for Richards and 1st round ontraded with Adel 1st round for Cameron

Lose: Grundy Moore

Gain: O'Brien Cameron Richards

Still need to fix the midfield but this replaces a star ruck with an elite ruck, a genuine (build a flag around him) key forward and more run out of the backline

Last edited:
With Maynard and Crisp in that midfield it shows we lack the next generation of midfielders. Unless we consider De Goey in there in which case the forwards are missing something. I see it like this:

FB: Maynard - Keane - Scharenberg
HB: Crisp - Moore - Quaynor

C: Phillips - Treloar* - Aish
Fol: Grundy - Adams - Sier

HF: C Brown - Mihocek* - WHE
FF: De Goey - Wilson - Stephenson

Int: Murphy, T Brown, Noble, Daicos

*26yo

I reckon that highlights a need for higher quality developing key positions and midfielders with physical size and foot speed.

Haven't all of Stevo, JDG, Aish, Crisp, Maynard, Sier, Adams, Daicos and the Brown brothers been drafted/traded with midfield potential?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back