Captaincy Discussion Thread

Preferred Captain in 2020

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

TMAC over Jetta wtf. Jetta is captain material on and off the field. TMAC was the banjo playing kid from deliverance. Jetta might be getting on but id rather Jetta on his deathbed over big dumb dumb TMac replacing small dumb dumb in Viney
I don't think TMac should or will ever be captain, and agree Jetta is better captain material, but have you ever heard Tmac speak? He actually is quite intelligent and articulate. He understood that he and the team were s**t, he probably understood it too well and lacked confidence.

I’d leave it with Viney for one more year and see how he goes.

Then I’d appoint a leadership group of Lever, Gawn, TMac, Jones and Lewis.
We can't afford another year of Viney. He's not getting the job done. If Goodwin has any brains, he'll do a leadership spill and either appoint Gawn or do another player vote (confidential). I can't see Viney being voted in by his peers because they look positively comatose when he's talking to them.

We can't afford another year of Viney. He's not getting the job done. If Goodwin has any brains, he'll do a leadership spill and either appoint Gawn or do another player vote (confidential). I can't see Viney being voted in by his peers because they look positively comatose when he's talking to them.

I wouldn’t sack a captain off the back of 1 average year.

He does look like he’d be relieved of some burden which might help him, but I’m just not convinced we have any other standouts for the captain role.

Lever in a few years maybe but not yet.

I have never seen somebody make talking in coherant sentences look like such hard work.
I agree with above, hes leadership group material.
Is Gawn too weird? I think he has dialled it down enough these days, but maybe he shoots too straight for a captain in the media?

I wouldn’t sack a captain off the back of 1 average year.

He does look like he’d be relieved of some burden which might help him, but I’m just not convinced we have any other standouts for the captain role.

Lever in a few years maybe but not yet.
I'm not suggesting it on the back of his form, but on the fact that he doesn't possess the leadership persona. I don't see that changing. He's just so awkward with his words and phrasing. How can you be an effective captain with that sort of shortcoming? If they do it now, they can pretend it's about him recapturing his best form, I suppose. Anything to move him on. I honestly can't recall a less impressive captain figure in my 35 years of watching football - although there may be one.

Need to see Lever on the park more before giving him leadership role. He has the potential for sure , just not yet .
he was viewed as being the capt in waiting at Adelaide, No reason not to have him in the leader ship group here
Just a natural leader

Glad someone made a post about this.

Out current captains a great blokes but suck at being captain. Neither are best 22 in my opinion and rarely do they lead from the front through actions or words.

Gawn captain for a few years with Lever as VC. Imo Lever will make a fantastic long term captain but let him get some more consistent form and confidence in his body first before giving him the responsibly.

Also, co-captains suck.
never again
Either give it to Gawn for a few years, or give it to lever.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Viney's not best 22 and Jones is past it. Lever for me. Has captaincy written all over him on and off the field. I'd be very nervous making Gawn captain. Really don't want to put extra pressure on our best player..

Most captains are/will be 30+ by next year. yet Jetta who shows massive leadership outside footy as well as footy wise doesnt even get a look in from you.
Only half of the league's captains are around the same age as Jetta, and all of them except Stratton got the captaincy well before the season in which they turned 30. He's not even vaguely a plausible candidate.

Go on YouTube and watch a Jack Viney press conference. The guy legit stutters and struggles to strings a sentence. One of the most unimpressive captain we've had since I have started supporting the Dees. Can you imagine the huddle speech before the bounce!?
Lets be frankly honest though, while old man Viney is there Jack continues as captain.

Its Gawn for me with Lever as vice.

Lever's been rated as a future captain of the club since before we tried to offload our recently sacked captain Jack Trengove to trade up in the draft and nab him in 2014.
It might have been part of our offer to him - whispering sweet nothings about future leadership opportunities and such like - but I don’t know that this necessarily makes him captain material. Lever was one of the dozen or so players that was burbled on about being potential Captain material from the day he was drafted, along with every other kid with the remote ability to string words together.

I’m yet to be convinced. His eyes roll about unnervingly in every interview and I want to slap him around and yell at him to look at the person who asked the question. His eyebrows are odd somehow. And he mispronounces a word that annoys me every time only I can’t remember which one. I don’t think it’s ek-setter-ah, that’s Paul Roos who drops that one at least five times each Monday night. But I know it’s something worrying.

Salem.
Viney looks like he is at the cross roads. Jones isn’t in our best 22.
Gawn would be good, but there’s a lot of ‘look at me Kimmy’ about him. Salem is being groomed by Nev, and that’s enough for me. You can see he’s respected by his team mates, he’s tough but he is also one of our best players.

Spent around an hour with a group of Melbourne players and they spent the whole time hanging s**t on Salem. They respect him as a friend and colleague but can't seem him as captain after seeing that interaction.

Back