Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn: Mitchell Lewis. Extended to 2026!

Remove this Banner Ad

People have insane expectations if they think Lewis had a poor game, 10 + touches, few tackles, 4 contested marks and 3 shots on goals for a key forward playing his 12th game, is very good.
Yeah & even though it probably cost Hendo a goal ( maybe not with the way we were kicking em ).
I loved he felled that toe rag Robinson. Gee he's got a punch-able head!

Building into the season very nicely is Lewis, since the start of July(when he came back into the side) he's averaged 14.2 disposals, 2.2 Goals, 2.8 Contested Marks and just shy of 4 one percenters a game.

Last edited:
16 touches, 4 marks (3 contested), 3.2 and 4 tackles.. he is 20! You wonder what he can become with a bit more development.

I just hope the club doesn’t try and tear weight off him, it’s clear he is excellent with his run and jump and his physical ability to hold his ground in marking contests is becoming very good.

We have a 200+ gamer and 500+ goal kicker in Mitch, unbelievable recruiting from GW.

We really did him no favours last night. A few times he was one out and the kick was shallow and to the other side of him. My hazy memory is thinking twice and Shiels once at least. He just about plucked another couple as well.

We will look for him to keep improving but even right now he is playing at the level of a good afl key forward. He is consistently commanding every week. Tack on three bags of 5 + a year and Lewis becomes elite.

And no to rucking.

We really did him no favours last night. A few times he was one out and the kick was shallow and to the other side of him. My hazy memory is thinking twice and Shiels once at least. He just about plucked another couple as well.

We will look for him to keep improving but even right now he is playing at the level of a good afl key forward. He is consistently commanding every week. Tack on three bags of 5 + a year and Lewis becomes elite.

And no to rucking.
Yes!! Looked like it was getting too tiring, he could not compete as a forward when he went back up front.

What a find. Keen to see him pairing with The General next year. Could be awesome to watch.

He couldn’t compete because of the pathetic entries... after qtr time it was diabolical, the skill level of Shiels/Scully and Omera is woefully below standard.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does things most can't. The side step and bounce is elite. Accelerates as he gathers too. Doesn't wait for the tackle.

Chad is slick in a way that none of our other mids are capable of. It's like watching Burgoyne level slick, just without the extra size (as you could see when Burgoyne was being 'chaired' off the ground by Chad and Poppy. That was a bit like two short people carrying a giant). Where are the doubters now, even after a loss?

Mitch's presence is getting strong enough that Darth Vader would probably notice him now if he stepped onto a Death Star. Pretty incredible given the way he started the year. He looked like he was in a vacuum sometimes early on.

16 touches, 4 marks (3 contested), 3.2 and 4 tackles.. he is 20! You wonder what he can become with a bit more development.

I just hope the club doesn’t try and tear weight off him, it’s clear he is excellent with his run and jump and his physical ability to hold his ground in marking contests is becoming very good.

We have a 200+ gamer and 500+ goal kicker in Mitch, unbelievable recruiting from GW.
Yep doesnt need to put on any extra weight just need to build his tank, they extra weight killed Shoeys strengths.

Last edited:

Is going to a be a serious player.

Lewis just has to be mindful now that backman are going to try and restrict his run and jump.
If he can hold marks or create opportunities when in these situations he will be an absolute gem.

Easy way to beat that is with quick entries and entries that are a bit more elevated.. our skill level after qtr time delivering him the ball was atrocious, it was amateur hour for 90 mins.

Easy way to beat that is with quick entries and entries that are a bit more elevated.. our skill level after qtr time delivering him the ball was atrocious, it was amateur hour for 90 mins.

I believe they call it ‘amateur hour-and-a-half’

Middle to late picks you want exposure to the upside.
Early picks, you want to limit your downside risk through exposed form and consistency.

If you can grade each draft accurately for quality from one year to the next, you are already in the top quartile in the league.

We have been the best at this and it will be recognised by the wider community when Ross and Walker come through.

Middle to late picks you want exposure to the upside.
Early picks, you want to limit your downside risk through exposed form and consistency.

If you can grade each draft accurately for quality from one year to the next, you are already in the top quartile in the league.

We have been the best at this and it will be recognised by the wider community when Ross and Walker come through.

It's no mistake that Geelong, Sydney and Hawthorn have been the best at this over the past however long. Awesome talent identification systems.

Richmond are quickly getting there as well.

He was asked to do far too much on Friday night, but my word did he look good. He pinned his man for a holding the ball free twice on the night, took three contested marks, kicked his usual 3 goals (should have been 4) and got around the ground.

A big preseason from Mitch coupled with the potential inclusion of Jon Patton and the Hawks forward line looks a lot more dangerous. Patton will take the best defender which will allow Mitch to develop at a normal pace (or take advantage of his match ups).

Scary upside in this kid.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back