Preview Round 21, 2019: St.Kilda v Fremantle - Marvel Stadium, Sunday 11th August, 1:10PM AEST

Who Wins?

• Saints

Votes: 37 71.2%
  • Dockers

Votes: 15 28.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
dfXdVR7.png

Preview
St.Kilda v Fremantle

779766_thumb.jpg

St.Kilda's very slim finals chances were dashed last Saturday night as they let opportunities slip in an improved but ultimately disappointing 22 point defeat. It was the Saints 11th loss of the year, and will take a minor miracle to sneak into the final eight with only three rounds left.

As for Fremantle, they had one of the upsets of the season at Optus Stadium in a convincing 34 point victory over ladder leaders Geelong. Whilst Fremantle find themselves in a similar boat to St.Kilda regarding a finals spot, they have kept themselves in the race with this their ninth win of the year.

Let’s have a look at possible best 22s:

St.Kilda Best 22
B:
Shane Savage, Nathan Brown, Daniel McKenzie
HB: Callum Wilkie, Jake Carlisle, Hunter Clark
C: Jack Billings, Sebastian Ross, Jack Newnes
HF: Nick Hind, Josh Bruce, Jack Steele
F: Jack Lonie, Tim Membrey, Blake Acres
Foll: Rowan Marshall, Luke Dunstan, Jade Gresham
I/C: Nick Coffield, Josh Battle, Matthew Parker, Jack Sinclair

Fremantle Best 22
B:
Taylin Duman, Joel Hamling, Jason Carter
HB: Ethan Hughes, Griffin Logue, Adam Cerra
C: Bradley Hill, Nat Fyfe, Ed Langdon
HF: Bailey Banfield, Michael Walters, Mitchell Crowden
F: Lachie Schultz, Sean Darcy, Sam Switkowski
Foll: Aaron Sandilands, Darcy Tucker, David Mundy
I/C: Brandon Matera, Reece Conca, Andrew Brayshaw, Connor Blakely

Medical Room

702305_gl.jpg

St Kilda's Jade Gresham copped a knock to the jaw at the opening bounce but was cleared to continue.

The Dockers appeared to get through without any fresh injury worries.

Preview

03FrSt19WR0507.JPG

St.Kilda's small hope of potentially playing finals football in 2019 all but ended last Saturday night as they fell to Adelaide for their 11th loss of the year. St.Kilda will need to win the final three games of the season, and hope other teams around them lose a majority of their games. Clearly there has been an improvement in the way St.Kilda have played since caretaker coach Brett Ratten took over responsibilities three weeks ago, and the Saints should feel confident of getting back onto the winners list this Sunday when they host Fremantle at Marvel Stadium.

In a competitive but ultimately disappointing performance, there were still a few shining lights, including the performance of ruckman Rowan Marshall who is fast becoming one of the best young ruckman in the league. Marshall finished the night with 20 disposals and 5 marks to go along with his 32 hit-outs to be adjudged the Saints best on the night.

Other notable performances included Jack Billings (26 touches, 7 marks, 4 tackles), Tim Membrey (17 disposals, 8 marks, 3 goals), Hunter Clark (26 possessions, 5 marks) and Jack Steele (26 disposals, 2 marks, 7 tackles).

Fremantle have shown glimpses of the type of team they could've been in 2019, but inconsistency has been their main issue and as a result find themselves sitting 11th after 20 rounds with 9 wins and 10 losses. They've been impressive in their victories against North Melbourne, St.Kilda, GWS, Western Bulldogs, Brisbane, Collingwood, Port Adelaide, Sydney & Geelong, however disappointing in losses to Gold Coast, West Coast (twice), Adelaide, Richmond, Essendon, Melbourne, Carlton, Hawthorn & the Western Bulldogs.

Fremantle's performance last Saturday afternoon was anything but disappointing, causing one of the upsets of the year in their emphatic 34 point victory over top of the table Geelong.

Michael Walters was voted as the Dockers best on ground with 29 touches, 5 marks, 5 tackles and a goal. Walters wasn't alone however, with others playing a crucial role in the win including Nat Fyfe (27 touches, 4 marks, 4 tackles, 2 goals), Ed Langdon (28 possessions, 4 marks, 5 tackles, 2 goals), and wingman Brad Hill (27 disposals, 6 marks, 4 tackles).

Potential changes

575d4ffd5195a10523e8c753f9c2025d63d29510-16x9-x22y22w1151h648.jpg

Blake Acres & Jack Newnes look ready to return to the senior team after missing last weekends game through illness.

Other potential changes could be Jimmy Webster returning from injury and Jack Steven as he makes his potential return after weeks in the VFL.

Key Match-Ups

702037_gl.jpg

Michael Walters
Sonny has been one of Fremantle's best players all year, and last weekend was no exception - the crafty small forward bobbing up with a goal from his 29 touches. St.Kilda have struggled with small forwards all year and Walters may just be the best of the lot. If he has another big game on Sunday afternoon the Saints could be in trouble.

Nat Fyfe
Fyfe's 27 possessions and 2 goals on the weekend tells you all you need to know about the kind of influence he is able to have on games. First use out of the middle will be critical on Sunday, and St.Kilda's chances of winning the game will be strengthened if they can stop the former Brownlow medalist.

Tip

699979_gl.jpg

Finals is out of the question for the Saints but they have continued to play a more consistent, attacking brand of football and given the game is in Melbourne, and the fact Fremantle have only one once interstate all year, I think the Saints will be able to get the four points on Sunday afternoon.

Saints by 15 points.

Thoughts?

Out: Parker, McKenzie, Long, Langlands
In: Newnes, Paton, Steven, Hannebery

The sick players come back. Their replacements go out. Simple there.

If Hanners isn't fit, then Langlands stays in. But roll the dice on him, we have nothing to lose right now and Langlands 11 disposals aren't contributing much, especially when you consider he had 5 in the first 10 minutes. We would have been better tonight with Hanners out there instead.

Roll the dice on Steven. He may have looked unfit in the VFL video today but I dont think I've ever watched him run in a game when he is dominating and thought he looked fit. Him at 50% fitness could provide the 4 disposals, 1 tackle of Long tonight. He will look much better playing at a better level. Plus pending the whole Geelong scenario, it could last opportunity for him to play in front of a home StKilda crowd and I want to see that happen.

One of Carlisle and Battle need to start forward and stay there. Battle had no set position for the first three quarters and just looked lost.

Caretaker coach killer game.
Defeatist attitude. If we win every game and every other team loses, we make finals and can then win the flag.

Anything less and I will get on the autopsy thread railing against mediocrity, abuse all the players and personally insult DMAC for us losing the game even if he is not playing.

You know it makes sense

In: Hanners, Steven, Acres, Newnes and Webster

Out: Long, Dunstan, McKenzie, Langlands and Battle.

I think Steven is still not fit to play seniors game. But going by the yesterday's game, I won't be surprised.

The team will need to lift itself, now finals are gone; but it was always a long shot anyway. Playing for pride and their places next year etc.

Saints to bounce back at home and win by 18.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Out: DMAC, Parker (Langlands) Long?

In: Newnes, Paton, (Hanners if fit) White?

White for long? Ambitious? I think the passengers should learn a lesson in the vfl.

Assuming Steven still injured
I’d drop carlisle(lack of commitment), dmac, parker, langlands
In: newnes, Paton,Webster , Hannebery (and shift battle to Carlisle spot)

Not certain, would rather play the younger guys but he does improve our side although if we play him imo it’s short term gain. 50/50
True but just 1 game won’t do a great deal for youngsters whereas for stevenit might give a lot of confidence and help finish the year on a high and hopefully help convince him to stay

Badly missing Webster. His absence has been massive. Is our only small defender who is real quality defensively and offensively. In for McKenzie. Very stiff for Paton who has been good.

Langlands has had a good run at it. Doesn’t find enough footy yet. Steven or Hanners in for him. Can’t imagine we’ll get both back. Wouldn’t surprise me at all if we see neither.

Parker for Newnes. Very disappointing with his game. Have been a big fan but zero tackles is just poor. Certainly not the only one, but last in first out etc. I’m confident Newnes wouldn’t have let Laird have the run in the park he got last night.

Not sure what we do with Battle. Did not work last night.

Webster will come in before White.

Going with Why ?

Seriously amazed , but have been continually surprised with selection integrity for 3 years.

Players with better form , hardened by lots of games continually overlooked because they don’t
win a time trail in January .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back