Autopsy Round 20, 2019: Adelaide v St.Kilda *DUNSTAN'S 100TH*

Remove this Banner Ad

Hard to analyse the game being a supporter. I thought Ratts' post match presser was good - gave us some insight as to why we lost the game. Deep entry wasn't the issue, it was our inability to keep the ball locked in our forward 50 long enough to score. Too many occasions we got the ball inside 50 too far from goal and it made their ability to rebound out a lot easier.

Lets be honest, finals was always a slim to none chance. Some want Ratten out after one loss - please take some perspective. We wouldn't even be talking about possibility of finals if it weren't for him. There's clearly enough there to say that he can bring the playing group together. Imagine what he could do with a fit and healthy list. I'm proud of the way we kept pushing the Crows last night. Go into half time less than a goal down says something. Usually we are blown away and the game is done by that point. We are becoming a more consistent team with a simpler gameplan and the players are enjoying it.

Based on tonight we should beat Fremantle & Carlton. A win in Sydney and he has the job, no question.

If the club truly has balls they will
offload Carlisle because he looks like he doesn’t care anymore and he probably will get worse as he gets older so might as well get rid of him and replace with battle or clav or Austin
Push coff in the midfield because two weeks in a row he has been pushed into the midfield in the last quarter and has looked good with his evasion and speed
Get a competent goal kicking coach

Yup, he is either still getting over his injury (in which case he should be at Sandy) or the game has gone past him.. was found out big time again

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Hard to analyse the game being a supporter. I thought Ratts' post match presser was good - gave us some insight as to why we lost the game. Deep entry wasn't the issue, it was our inability to keep the ball locked in our forward 50 long enough to score. Too many occasions we got the ball inside 50 too far from goal and it made their ability to rebound out a lot easier.

Lets be honest, finals was always a slim to none chance. Some want Ratten out after one loss - please take some perspective. We wouldn't even be talking about possibility of finals if it weren't for him. There's clearly enough there to say that he can bring the playing group together. Imagine what he could do with a fit and healthy list. I'm proud of the way we kept pushing the Crows last night. Go into half time less than a goal down says something. Usually we are blown away and the game is done by that point. We are becoming a more consistent team with a simpler gameplan and the players are enjoying it.

Based on tonight we should beat Fremantle & Carlton. A win in Sydney and he has the job, no question.
Loved it when the Adelaide Journo asked him whether he was surprised Marshall played so well considering he was against ROB and Ratts just looked at him confused and said "Have you actually watched Marshall this year?"

We could of won this game , we just had to many players not at there best.
No prepare for next year , get Steven right , get Hannebery on the park , Webster back into the team.

We’ve missed Geary. Betts was very happy he didn’t play.

Disappointing result but we looked a chance up until half way through the last quarter.
Marshall was brilliant again.
We somehow transformed Tex Walker from a sluggish, washed up forward into one of the best KPF’s in the comp. Again. It’s very frustrating. If we can’t keep him quiet next time just knock him out ffs.
Parker has hands of concrete. Really needs to work on his ball handling to reach his potential.

Have we considered spending some of our ‘huge salary cap space’ on a few umpires.
Just saying it would solve a lot of our problems
Long bow blaming the umpires tonight. Forward fifty bombs, spectators (Ross), and poor tackling effort contributed much more to the loss than the umpires.

For me the following chances would happen;

Out: Dmac, Langlands, Parker, Battle
In: Paton, Webster, Steven, Hanners

It was a toss of the coin between battle and Carlisle. Carlisle is not marking the footy anywhere near enough for his poor 1 on 1 defence. Unless the opposition field a resting ruckman he has no matchup he can handle.

Crows just wanted it more really.

I think our guys had settled after the "new coach bounce" while the Crows were playing for their season.

I've said it before but Carlisle needs to go to a contender. He is like Goddard, just doesn't have the personality to handle playing for a losing team.

Giants, Pies & Cats would all love him.

Also, if we are really in the market for the Crouch boys I'm happy to pay up. I know people think they are crabs or squibs or seagulls but they find the footy & they get it forward. Crows can chuck in Gibbs and/or Jenkins if they don't want them.

Is it a mental thing? Every time we need to win to play finals we s**t the bed.

If we played with the intensity of the first 4 weeks we win that IMO
I'm hanging my belief that we are still a young side and therefore inconsistency is our issue.

We have seen plenty of examples that this team is capable of mixing it with the best.

I'm just waiting here agonisingly patient, along with everyone else to See it turn around

My take (from the top of my head)
Need to fix fwd 50 structure. Maybe bring in more skilled assistants. Good effort, but we have players not up to afl standards
Battle: overall a good season, but a shocker game. Came back from injury so I’ll let it go, but if pulls another one of these... overall he’s a pass, potential a grader.
Brown: knows how to punch the ball and lockdown forwards. The only problem is he’s getting really old. One or two years left.
Carlisle: question marks, but had a decent first half. A key for now but can see battle taking over, great at his best, which we should start seeing.
Coff: great improvement, should get better with time and I love the way he takes the game on.
Dmac: speechless. Has to go unless pulls some great performances out of the hat.
Clark: a true gun. What a find at pick 7. Love him.
Gresh: played a great 1st half, but needs to kick a drop punt. Has immense talent and should use it.
Ross: a shaky game for me, but can do better. Did some good things.
Dunny: great game form Luke. Should keep improving and is a keeper.
Steele: one of the only good users in the team. Bog for us if not close.
Marshall: another good user, also could be bog for us. He’s a freak.
Long: needs to improve the physical aspect of his game. Can kick rippers.
Parker: regressing slowly as the year goes on, would be good trade material 😆
Bruce: a good 2nd tall, but missed some shots that he should have made. Heart and soul of the team. Keep
Membrey: a good 2nd is 3rd tall, has some nice attributes. Keep
Sinclair: coming into form, playing some good footy. Really liked his game.
Just saying this was off the top of my head.

The list needs another clean out.
McKenzie
Longer
Pierce
Phillips
Rowe
Rice?
Clav? Actually wait and see. Was taken ahead of worpel and constable soo give him 1 or two seasons.

Unsure:
Austin

Trade/ retire
Mccartin
Armo
Stuv?
Robbo
(Longer might retire or be delisted)
Newnes

That leaves us with 11-13 list spots. Start a new era. Need mids, backup ruck, one big dowsed (king m and b) and now a skilled half back 😂 thoughts?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was not totally disappointed in the guys plenty of guys playing rolls they are not suitable for aka Membry tall forward. Gresh onball most game.battle not sure what he was doing. Dmac should be playing for sandy. Parker needs to go back west. I really think getting a few of our injured plays back will solve a lot of issues.
As for rats not totally sold still in the air for me

On G3226 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Who cares?

Come on George your better than that surely! Agree with not throwing the baby out with the Dingo
But would like a little more passion from the bloke running this joint about the result!
I care and i dare say pretty much everyone on here does!
And deeply too, cause you would have to be a loyal staunch believer in the eternal dream for us all to keep buttering up each year!

So i understand you may feel under attack right now but sorry man Who cares? Doesn't cut it!

To be fair to George, he works in memberships, he doesn't want people angry and deserting the cause. He needs people to hear that the club is focussed on next year and that this loss didn't matter. He's doing the right thing and selling the message.

Weeks a long time in footy. Luckily our list management don’t make decisions after one win or one loss. No one will go because of last night and no one is safe because of the week before. However over a year a full decision can be made and that decision is the problem starts at one place. The midfield. It’s the second worst in the afl and we aren’t making finals till it is fixed. Now that could be as simple as keeping Steven and adding one other class mid or it could need 2 but something needs to be done

The thing about the umpiring tonight that really annoyed me was how they were allowed to kick 5-10m kicks and get paid a mark all night. Honestly, did they call one Adelaide kick play on not 15? It was a joke, the players were allowed to dictate to the umpires pretty much all night. Meanwhile, of course, at least two of our kicks that went about 20m got called play on. The umpiring was a disgrace tonight, I don't expect anything else given our recent history away from home, but the way they were on our arses for 50m penalties and the like yet allowed Adelaide to get away with whatever they pleased is a bloody disgrace.

Aside from that we weren't able to convert our dominant periods. Very disappointing game. Really felt we missed Hannebery, the Adelaide mids at the coalface were good and their hands were quick.

Best players were Clark and Wilkie. Savage a really good game too. And Membrey.

Langlands, watching him run half spent towards the ball at the end of the 3rd quarter, not sure what was happening there maybe he was injured but to me he looks pretty far off it. Would have way rathered to see White out there tonight. Starting McKenzie on Betts was a pretty laughable move too.

Ross had a pretty bad moment when he didn't chase the man on the mark. It seemed to really affect him though, he went from looking very confident to very poor after that and didn't have the influence he could have. It's a shame because everyone has bad moments but he can't let it affect him like that.

Anyway it is what it is. A huge opportunity missed.

The one that got me was 50 meters against Hind for crimping the mark but let them walk at least 5 meters closer every time we marked. They just ruin the game these days. I watched the start of the Dees Tigers game and they were letting Richmond get away with everything and pulling up Melbourne. It's a blight on the game and looks corrupt.

You think George , all depends which Freo turns up and the Blues are no easy beats now , id give us no chance in Sydney whats so ever

To be fair to George, he works in memberships, he doesn't want people angry and deserting the cause. He needs people to hear that the club is focussed on next year and that this loss didn't matter. He's doing the right thing and selling the message.

He works in memberships? Really? Very doubtful. May help but I’m very doubtful that’s his job

Was not totally disappointed in the guys plenty of guys playing rolls they are not suitable for aka Membry tall forward. Gresh onball most game.battle not sure what he was doing. Dmac should be playing for sandy. Parker needs to go back west. I really think getting a few of our injured plays back will solve a lot of issues.
As for rats not totally sold still in the air for me

On G3226 using BigFooty.com mobile app

I thought Membrey and Gresham before he was taken out by Sloan was working. Sloan should get at least a week, lucky Jade didn't have to sit out the match.

The one that got me was 50 meters against Hind for crimping the mark but let them walk at least 5 meters closer every time we marked. They just ruin the game these days. I watched the start of the Dees Tigers game and they were letting Richmond get away with everything and pulling up Melbourne. It's a blight on the game and looks corrupt.

Yes because the afl want big gaps between sides. Not.

You think George , all depends which Freo turns up and the Blues are no easy beats now , id give us no chance in Sydney whats so ever

We will be favourite in one game or maybe none. Could win 3 but more chance of losing 3. That is why you don’t appoint care taker coaches until the full process is done

He is. Has already torn apart a few VFL games, can kick goals from outside 50 easy. I reckon the last time we had a player dominate a VFL game in his first year was Billings, and Billings wasn't a KPF coming off an ACL. Ming will be a star for us.

What if he's just an Oscar Mc Donald or Weidermann, I hope we got this one right. I hope we don't get his brother until we are pretty sure he's going to be an absolute superstar as well. It will cost us 2 firsts this year or in 2 years when he's a superstar. If he's only average his value will drop though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back