Analysis 2019 List Management Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because going forward in defence he would rank behind Weitering Jones Marchbank and Plowman.
In attack he would rank behind Curnow McGovern and McKay.
He is not a starting ruckman where TDK would be the earmarked replacement for Kreuzer.
Casboult is rising 30yo, if we could work him into a trade for Martin who is of need it’s a big win.
List management is not all about the next game.

Neither is TDK.

If say GC offer Casboult 3 years at 500k we wouldn’t be matching it should the trigger clause be enforced and Levi remain contracted to Carlton.
Casboult should accept the offer with Carlton’s assistance via trade.
Win for Casboult.
Win for Carlton.

I think Levi leaving will actually be a loss for the club. Not a win.

Peter Ladhams is the player we should be looking at to replace Kreuzer.

He did a sensational job today against the Dons.

I believe he's also out of contract.
I didn't see the game, but interesting to hear.

When he was selected on Thurs night, there was a mention on one of the shows that he's potentially looking for more opportunities elsewhere.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My opinion is always players over 30 don't improve and when they start to fade it happens quickly. A 32-33 year old may have a good year but they rarely back it up. Champions should always retire on a high or when they are still playing well.

I'm probably in the minority but I still believe we need to go past some of them asap. Not all at once but it needs to start happening. This is about flags NOT being okay.

People will be very surprised how others step up. Always happens and with the talent we have I have no doubt.

Stocker Gibbons will replace Murphy
Docherty SPS Williamson will replace Thomas & Simmo.
TDK and another recruit will replace Kruezer

IMO tough decisions need to be made this year and in 2020.
Our last premiership team had three 32 year olds and a 34 year old as part of it, one of them winning the Norm Smith medal.

Granted that Kernahan, Bradley, Williams and Madden were exceptional players.

I don't understand the rush to replace players based upon their ages while they are still performing at a high level.

I think that their experience is of great value to the team in big matches and tight situations.

There is no doubt that they can fade quickly but generally speaking these players know themselves when it's time to go.

On SM-T595 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Our last premiership team had three 32 year olds and a 34 year old as part of it, one of them winning the Norm Smith medal.

Granted that Kernahan, Bradley, Williams and Madden were exceptional players.

I don't understand the rush to replace players based upon their ages while they are still performing at a high level.

I think that their experience is of great value to the team in big matches and tight situations.

There is no doubt that they can fade quickly but generally speaking these players know themselves when it's time to go.

On SM-T595 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Completely different time and situation. I’m also not saying get rid of them all st once.

As for players knowing when it’s time to go I disagree. Most will hang on especially given the money

From the boundary line, Tom Papley, if you don’t mind. Certainly bounced back from his performance last w/end within the 1st 3 mins vs GWS.

We just haven't got someone with the tricks, ball-finding and goal-licking prowess of a Papley up front. We just don't.

Don't want to get too caught up in acquiring him, but he just makes for the perfect peg into the right hole, for us.

He has. I love Murphy. Been a great clubman. My question is always will he take us to the next level at 33? He should play on in 2020 but I hope they start to lessen his involvement in the middle and let players like Setterfield Fisher Dow Stocker Walsh Gibbons Cuningham etc take over especially if we land Coniglio. Not only for their own improvement but to develop as a group. IMO it's vital

I also expect significant improvement in our young group in 2020.

I don't want to see us winning in 2020 and our best players are always Murphy Thomas Curnow etc. We need to start seeing others being our consistent match winners.
It is an interesting one because it is very hard to know exactly what is the best way to get the kids ready to take the next step. Last year we were excited because we were pumping games and experience into players like Dow and giving him opportunities that very few kids get to have by playing him in the midfield. We would’ve thought that that was the best thing we could do for him and the experience was invaluable. While this was happening St Kilda fans were the opposite and angry they weren’t doing the same with Clarke. They pretty much done the complete opposite. If you look now Clarke has flown past Dow at a rate of knots and all that extra experience and opportunities we gave to Dow hasn’t proved any more valuable.
I’m not pretending I know any answers but I am also not sure there is any correct way we should be running things next season. What I do think is if we do get a Coniglio and Papley than I am more than happy just trying to be the best team we possibly can. We have sat back for years and said it’s easier to develop kids/players in a strong side knowing that they get less opportunities. Maybe it is true that the environment is more important than opportunities. When they are ready the spot is theirs

We just haven't got someone with the tricks, ball-finding and goal-licking prowess of a Papley up front. We just don't.

Don't want to get too caught up in acquiring him, but he just makes for the perfect peg into the right hole, for us.
He would be absolutely perfect but that really shouldn’t come as any surprise as he is probably a top 3 small forward in the league atm.

He would be absolutely perfect but that really shouldn’t come as any surprise as he is probably a top 3 small forward in the league atm.

He wouldn't be perfect if we had Cameron & Rayner or even Ryan & Rioli. We don't have anything exciting, nor productive like that.

It's been a glaring gap since before this year started and remains to be so.....that's why he'd be perfect for us.

He wouldn't be perfect if we had Cameron & Rayner or even Ryan & Rioli. We don't have anything exciting, nor productive like that.

It's been a glaring gap since before this year started and remains to be so.....that's why he'd be perfect for us.

Not long to wait now Harks.
If the latest mail re Teague is right, a genuine quality small forward will be at the top of the shopping list ...

Most don't. Probably about 6 to 8 of his type across the league.

It is an interesting one because it is very hard to know exactly what is the best way to get the kids ready to take the next step. Last year we were excited because we were pumping games and experience into players like Dow and giving him opportunities that very few kids get to have by playing him in the midfield. We would’ve thought that that was the best thing we could do for him and the experience was invaluable. While this was happening St Kilda fans were the opposite and angry they weren’t doing the same with Clarke. They pretty much done the complete opposite. If you look now Clarke has flown past Dow at a rate of knots and all that extra experience and opportunities we gave to Dow hasn’t proved any more valuable.
I’m not pretending I know any answers but I am also not sure there is any correct way we should be running things next season. What I do think is if we do get a Coniglio and Papley than I am more than happy just trying to be the best team we possibly can. We have sat back for years and said it’s easier to develop kids/players in a strong side knowing that they get less opportunities. Maybe it is true that the environment is more important than opportunities. When they are ready the spot is theirs

We can't judge until later but they do need games. Dow is second year and had a tough year in a lot of ways. He will be fine.

For me it's just balance. I'm not talking about getting rid of all the 30 plus players but we do need to start exciting a few. We have too many for a list still rebuilding. Also, by 2020 Cripps Docherty Charlie Weitering Plowman are all mature enough to start truly leading.

I also expect a best 22 to include Murphy Curnow Kruezer Jones & Casboult in 2020. Surely that is enough?

Most don't. Probably about 6 to 8 of his type across the league.

It's not so much about an exact type other than being a goal kicker and someone who can regularly beat their opponent.
Every player has to apply pressure so to solely have that in your armoury isn't enough.
If your forwards can kick goals you're way in front. This is somewhat obvious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back