The "Ask Lions_Insider!" discussion thread

Media. Certainly not Fagan. When it was mentioned in the press conference Fagan launched into he actually thought it was Neale who took the game on and changed the course of the game in the ten minutes at the start of the third. Which he did but..

It was a disappointing response- the medal was awarded to Mitch and his coach should have let him have his moment in the limelight. Hell, he should have given him a public pat on the back.

My first time fagan disappointment.
If you are disappointed with the coach over that, then maybe you might be getting a little close to this Mitch Robbo thing?

FWIW, the sense I’m getting from the media articles I’ve read (Whiting, Stafford, Hammo) is that they probably had Neale as marginally ahead as best on, although they weren’t making a big deal of it. Not sure the coach should be criticised for the same point of view.

If you are disappointed with the coach over that, then maybe you might be getting a little close to this Mitch Robbo thing?

FWIW, the sense I’m getting from the media articles I’ve read (Whiting, Stafford, Hammo) is that they probably had Neale as marginally ahead as best on, although they weren’t making a big deal of it. Not sure the coach should be criticised for the same point of view.

Oh I’m way to close. Need a detox.

Oct 13, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Neale was kept quiet in the last quarter and that probably led to robbo getting the medal but I had Neale as best on comfortably, with robbo second. Robbo was great, but two of his goals were pretty easy (20m out on the run, in the goalsquare) and Neale's 10 minute patch in the third quarter won the game.

This is taking nothing away from Mitch's goals though, lord knows plenty of others missed absolute sodas so we needed him to be accurate.

Albi_Mangler

All Australian
Oct 22, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NFL, NBA, Roar, FC Tokyo
Hey LI - can you advise who votes for the Ashcroft Medal?
via Suns Twitter acct.

Marcus Ashcroft Medal final votes

Mitch Robinson - 8 (3, 3, 2)
Lachie Neale - 6 (3, 2, 1)
Brayden Fiorini - 2 (2)
Jarryd Lyons - 1
Charlie Cameron - 1

edit: votes submitted by Quentin Hull (ABC) and Michael Whiting (AFL QLD) and one other journo probably C7-Fox.

Last edited:

FLVanLandingham

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 3, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Interesting someone thought Fiorini was better than Neale? (or my logic is off).

Also the third was Lynchy, he mentioned it in the commentary.

Good to see Lyons get up there. (All players come from trading, super good!)

via Suns Twitter acct.

Marcus Ashcroft Medal final votes

Mitch Robinson - 8 (3, 3, 2)
Lachie Neale - 6 (3, 2, 1)
Brayden Fiorini - 2 (2)
Jarryd Lyons - 1
Charlie Cameron - 1

edit: votes submitted by Quentin Hull (ABC) and Michael Whiting (AFL QLD) and one other journo probably C7-Fox.

I'm sure Lynch said he voted

Jul 20, 2000
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
And what we should be hoping for is that we aren't rating a mention on too many shows in the next two weeks. We will go into the next two games (Swans & Bulldogs) expected to win against sides who aren't as newsworthy right now. We are actually more likely to be discussed if we drop either of those games. Should we win, without any controversial moments then they will likely go 'unnoticed'.

The following week would be more likely... but as they say; one week at a time.

Oct 29, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Blazers/Heat, ORST beavers
Unless they are providing some sort of extra insight into the club or showing something the regular punters don't have access to, I find the TV shows are useless when talking about us anyway. Many posters on here have far better insight into the team and club in general than media talking heads who probably don't watch most of our games.

And what we should be hoping for is that we aren't rating a mention on too many shows in the next two weeks. We will go into the next two games (Swans & Bulldogs) expected to win against sides who aren't as newsworthy right now. We are actually more likely to be discussed if we drop either of those games. Should we win, without any controversial moments then they will likely go 'unnoticed'.

The following week would be more likely... but as they say; one week at a time.

I'm not so sure about that. Definitely the case against the Swans, but the Bulldogs are favourites against us and rightfully so I think. They came within two goals of Collingwood. That'll be a really tough match.

May 3, 2005
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Scuderia Ferrari, Dallas Cowboys
Our boys don't need to be pandered to by the media. They need to focus on internal measures. * the media noise, good or bad.

We were the "sexy Lions" a month ago, then we forgot the fundamentals.

Oct 29, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Blazers/Heat, ORST beavers
I'm not so sure about that. Definitely the case against the Swans, but the Bulldogs are favourites against us and rightfully so I think. They came within two goals of Collingwood. That'll be a really tough match.
They also lost to Carlton by a similar margin we lost against Essendon and got done by the Gold Coast at home who we beat by 50. I think we’ll start favourites but by no means a guaranteed win.

Dogs are another team that we have trouble beating typically. We will need to be sharp and on our game for the next 2 games against Sydney and Dogs. If we keep the right attitude and play like we did against the suns (minus the goal kicking) then we could beat them by 40+. Become reactionary and not play how we want to and we could likewise get well beaten.

Oct 13, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Our boys don't need to be pandered to by the media. They need to focus on internal measures. **** the media noise, good or bad.

We were the "sexy Lions" a month ago, then we forgot the fundamentals.

We lost to two big Victorian clubs 2 weeks in a row, so at least we aren’t going to get any super positive press for another 6 weeks. Probably a good thing as you say.

Freo and Carlton are now the ‘look at the plucky improving teams’ this week.

They also lost to Gold Coast in round 3, and we just pantsed GC.

It's a funny season to try and rank teams based on who they've beat in the past rounds.

Skoob

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 6, 2010
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
All this talk about rock anthems to play before games; I'm more for the traditional sports tunes.
How about we nick this tune. (For younger viewers, or a reminder of the tune, the original is at the bottom).

Charlie's kicking goals like a machine.
Lachie Neale's hands are just so clean.
A magician is our Skipper.
That Andrews is a ripper.
And two Robbos providing muscle for our team.

Dizzy kills 'em whether short or tall.
Berry's always first one to the ball.
Luggage is all class.
Lyon's way too fast.
And they all fight when their back's against the wall.

Come on Lions, C'mon, C'mon
Come on Lions, Come on.

McStay and Hippy love to bring their height.
Hodgie's bark is just as bad as Rayner's bite.

Richy's down the back.
Noah's right on track.
While Stef & Oscar's rucking's outa sight.

Come on Lions, Come on.

Last edited:
Guys this is a question and answer thread. If you want to discuss things stemming from that put it in the discussion thread
Guys, I've moved this question to the discussion thread, as it's only tangential to asking Lions Insider things. Really, the question is open to everyone.

My question is:
As Lions Insider has confirmed that they read pretty much every thread on this board, aren't posts in the Ask Lions Insider thread telling people to go to the Discussion Thread just a complete waste of time?

May 3, 2005
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Scuderia Ferrari, Dallas Cowboys
Guys, I've moved this question to the discussion thread, as it's only tangential to asking Lions Insider things. Really, the question is open to everyone.

My question is:
As Lions Insider has confirmed that they read pretty much every thread on this board, aren't posts in the Ask Lions Insider thread telling people to go to the Discussion Thread just a complete waste of time?

I think the idea is that the Ask thread stays tidy so that people can easily read the Questions and Answers without having to wade through a bunch of side-discussion.

Back