Player Watch Pick #5 (2018) - Connor Rozee (AFL Captain)

Those 2 goals yesterday! Bliss!

Not the first time this year hes sharked a pack and kicked a blinder.

Hes goinng to be a gun mid in a couple years time

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
I like him forward. He can be a gun mid but you just can't buy his ability to find the goals. Early career Wingard.

Which Wingard would we prefer? The one who kicked 50 goals or the one who was averaging 20 and 1 from the middle?

Feb 20, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
I like him forward. He can be a gun mid but you just can't buy his ability to find the goals. Early career Wingard.

Which Wingard would we prefer? The one who kicked 50 goals or the one who was averaging 20 and 1 from the middle?

I’ll take the 2015, 20 & 2 version every day of the week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feb 20, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Which I believe was primarily a forward.

It was the first year he ran through the middle for full quarters throughout games. Without actual stats for center bounce attendances etc it would have been 60-40 forward from memory.

Connor will eventually be the Robbie conundrum where you’d kill to have one in the middle and up forward at the same time. The great thing is, we have Butters for up forward.

Tibbs

The Bearded ZERK!
Sep 9, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
It was the first year he ran through the middle for full quarters throughout games. Without actual stats for center bounce attendances etc it would have been 60-40 forward from memory.

Connor will eventually be the Robbie conundrum where you’d kill to have one in the middle and up forward at the same time. The great thing is, we have Butters for up forward.

But the good news is the conundrum will be offset by having Duursma, who will end up being Dangerfield MK2, in the midfield in a few years!

Mar 9, 2014
Madelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Last years' draftees have these elite AFL skills: Dursmaa has incredible endurance - runs both ways all day; Butters has incredible footy smarts combined with speed of disposal; and Rozee has innate football intel, speed of disposal and blistering attacking and defensive speed - both from a standing start and over a sustained distance.
So much to be excited about for the future as long as these talents are nurtured and encouraged.

He kick 2 goals. Another was a snap from crumbing just outside the goal square went thru the goals, but was touched. A snap hit the post. A set shot hit the post.

His checkie running into goal in the last quarter was a bit of lairizing as he should have nailed that. That was his 5th point. Can't remember another point he kicked earlier in the game.

Could have been a 6 or 7 goal game. Has had a down 6 weeks or so but under the roof on the hard dry deck he came back to his best using that blistering speed he has.

*PAF

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts Port Adelaide - Nathan Krakouer Player Sponsor 2015 Port Adelaide - Brendon AhChee Player Sponsor 2014 Port Adelaide - Jarrad Redden Player Sponsor 2014 Port Adelaide - Matthew Broadbent Player Sponsor 2013 Port Adelaide - Foundation Sponsor Port Adelaide - Captains Club 2012 Sponsor Port Adelaide - John Butcher 2012 Player Sponsor
Feb 17, 2005
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
We'll probably always compare outputs with Wingard but they are very different players.

Wingard and even Gray for that matter are both clearence and inside 50 freaks.
Rozee is not as freakish as either of them but his composure and ability to play the whole ground at potentially elite levels means that he'll be a better chance at a Charlie than either of them.

I say potentially as he is not consistently there yet but fully expect him to get the consistency going once he has a couple of pre seasons under his belt.

EDIT: How good is that. We've had no shortage of freaks and workhorse but the words that sticks out with players such as Rozee, Houston and Burton are elite skills and consistency.

Darned, about time.

We'll probably always compare outputs with Wingard but they are very different players.

Wingard and even Gray for that matter are both clearence and inside 50 freaks.
Rozee is not as freakish as either of them but his composure and ability to play the whole ground at potentially elite levels means that he'll be a better chance at a Charlie than either of them.

I say potentially as he is not consistently there yet but fully expect him to get the consistency going once he has a couple of pre seasons under his belt.

EDIT: How good is that. We've had no shortage of freaks and workhorse but the words that sticks out with players such as Rozee, Houston and Burton are elite skills and consistency.

Darned, about time.
If people are going to expect him to be as good as Wingard then he has to make All Australian next year. Could happen like Wingard did in 2013, if we get a new coach like 2013!

He has had a better first year than Chad. Kicked more goals and all the other metrics are up. Chad missed 2 games because of a shoulder injury and was omitted and made an emergency last in 2012 season.

The footy industry and Port and Hawks fans started the season going to compare Burton and Chad. Great that Connor will be benchmarked against Chad. Hopefully he stays in front of him.

*PAF

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts Port Adelaide - Nathan Krakouer Player Sponsor 2015 Port Adelaide - Brendon AhChee Player Sponsor 2014 Port Adelaide - Jarrad Redden Player Sponsor 2014 Port Adelaide - Matthew Broadbent Player Sponsor 2013 Port Adelaide - Foundation Sponsor Port Adelaide - Captains Club 2012 Sponsor Port Adelaide - John Butcher 2012 Player Sponsor
Feb 17, 2005
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Yeah but don't know about AA next year. Wingard was freakish, however if Rozee does improve as expected he has the type of game that could make him a permanent fixture for multiple years.

Yeah but don't know about AA next year. Wingard was freakish, however if Rozee does improve as expected he has the type of game that could make him a permanent fixture for multiple years.
He's kicked 23 goals in 19 games. If he gets 45-50 next year, he will be in the conversation. I reckon he could have kicked about 10 more if things went right for him on Saturday and in 3 or 4 other games where he didn't nail his chances.

*PAF

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 17, 2005
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
He's kicked 23 goals in 19 games. If he gets 45-50 next year, he will be in the conversation. I reckon he could have kicked about 10 more if things went right for him on Saturday and in 3 or 4 other games where he didn't nail his chances.
Agree but Wingard was an AA HFF and I expect Rozee to get more gametime in the midfield from now on.

It might take some time for Rozee to consistently get the 30 plus possessions needed to get in the midfield whilst being tagged as he no doubt will.

Time will tell.

Agree but Wingard was an AA HFF and I expect Rozee to get more gametime in the midfield from now on.

It might take some time for Rozee to consistently get the 30 plus possessions needed to get in the midfield whilst being tagged as he no doubt will.

Time will tell.
I don't think he will get that much more time next year in the middle. If we keep SPP and move Ebo back towards the middle, and now that Houston has gone in there and been a success, I can see us throwing Burton in there to use his kicking skills like Houston and if that happens, there isn't need for him to spend much time in the middle. Rozee's speed in the forward line is a real asset, a bit like Cameron's is for the Lions, so I can see us keeping him away from the crash and bash of the mid field.

Oct 1, 2014
NeverNevers
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

"Everyone talks about that externally a fair bit, but I couldn't care less," Rozee said.

"I'd rather play finals footy than win an individual award.

"It's been good to have an impact in my first season and people talk about you a little bit, but I couldn't really care less what goes on with that sort of stuff."

Smithy7

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Mar 1, 2014
South of Scotland
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
'I couldn't care less': Power young gun's focus on finals, not awards

PORT Adelaide first-year sensation Connor Rozee "couldn't care less" about individual awards, with his focus squarely on the Power's push towards the finals.
Speaking to AFL.com.au, Rozee also revealed the Power's team review meetings have changed to focus on the positives to get them in the right headspace and arrest their yo-yo inconsistency.
Rozee, 19, has been outstanding in his first season for the Power. Last year's No.5 overall draft pick has booted 23 goals and averaged 15.2 disposals per game playing across half-forward.
He's the Power's leading goalkicker, is fifth in the League for tackles inside 50 and is in the top three for players eligible for the NAB AFL Rising Star award for tackles, goals, contested possessions and inside 50s.
It's no surprise, then, that Rozee's name is prominent in discussions about the NAB AFL Rising Star award, but he's more concerned with helping the Power lock in a top-eight berth.
More ...

Attachments

• 1565224795650.png
    1565224795650.png
    99.5 KB · Views: 133

PAFCsince1870

Premiership Player
Mar 13, 2006
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Orlando Magic
If people are going to expect him to be as good as Wingard then he has to make All Australian next year. Could happen like Wingard did in 2013, if we get a new coach like 2013!

He has had a better first year than Chad. Kicked more goals and all the other metrics are up. Chad missed 2 games because of a shoulder injury and was omitted and made an emergency last in 2012 season.

The footy industry and Port and Hawks fans started the season going to compare Burton and Chad. Great that Connor will be benchmarked against Chad. Hopefully he stays in front of him.

He doesn’t have to be an All-Australian by any stretch of the imagination.

I think most people will be genuinely disappointed if his career trajectory follows that of Wingard - easily one of, if not the most, wasted talents of this generation.

Just call him superstar. Love Duursma but Rozee is a freak talent. When he imposes himself on a game he tears it apart.

Back