Autopsy Round 20, 2019: Adelaide v St.Kilda *DUNSTAN'S 100TH*

Remove this Banner Ad

The last five minutes of the third quarter is tough viewing. Five points in it and we just go to water. Ross does a classic helicopter which gives a shallow entry, McKenzie gives away a dumb free. Clark leaves Sloane in a dangerous position. Battle watches his man run past him. Ends in a Betts goal. Then we get the clearance but instead of driving it forward, Gresham chips it to half back. We then do a couple of slow switches before Wilkie misses his kick. Crows win it from the boundary throw in, do an attacking switch, goal.

Situations like that we just don’t have the cattle who stand up and nail the moment.

But you also need to take into account a lot if sides do. I was a no on rats because I believe we need someone from outside but at the moment he is probably favourite. 3 more games to decide.
RATTEN maybe more personable and may have a slightly different turn of phrase etc but i wonder in the history of the game has there been a coach sacked from one club for failures too excessive to tolerate with no history of success in that role anywhere and then become a head coach at another club taking on ,arguably, one of the hardest jobs the AFL has had on offer in a one hundred and forty seasons..........making St Kilda drink from the grail. I dont know the answer to that ....just a vote for NO RATTEN...Too many Carlton rejects in the past dont need more.

Last edited:
So a half fit Steven can’t get injured in the seconds? Not sure that makes sense. And if that midfield won’t win finals then at least improve the midfield by playing Steven.
He was kept off the ball pretty well by VFL players in some contests yesterday and looks to me like he is a few Kgs heavy. When fit, it's another story of course

Long - 4 disposals, 1 tackle
Lonie - 8 disposals, 25% DE
Brown - 8 disposals, no real match-up
Parker - 11 disposals, 54% DE, ZERO tackles
Bruce - 1.3
Langlands - 11 disposals, 45% DE, 5 clangers, 2 tackles
Sinclair - 13 disposals

It's amazing that we were even in the game when you take in the above, very hard to win any game of football with so many players unable to impact the game.

Plenty of spots up for grabs for next week.

RATTEN maybe more personable and may have a slightly different turn of phrase etc but i wonder in the history of the game has there been a coach sacked from one club for failures to excessive to tolerate with no history of success in that role anywhere and then become a head coach at another club taking on ,arguably, one of the hardest jobs the AFL has had on offer in a one hundred and forty seasons..........making St Kilda drink from the grail. I dont know the answer to that ....just a vote for NO

What?

Am I the only one who doesn’t understand the hype around bytel
Yes he looked good as a junior but he hasn’t even played vfl yet
Could well be a Nathan freeman with his injury record

Hope is spelt with an 'o', not a 'y'.

Out last night and missed the game. Just watched the replay. We controlled enough of the ball last night to have an opportunity to win but we just did'nt have enough polish going I50.
McKenzie made a few bad errors but so did most of our team. Nobody seems to give him any credit for the some of good things he did:
-Handball to Lonie for a goal
-Tap to Lonie who missed the goal
-Short pass to Bruce on lead who missed the set shot
-Spoiled Betts numerous occasions.
-He competed hard and worked his backside off to be part of the defensive zone
He played back on Betts, had to play forward on Laird and even started on the wing.
The last couple of minutes of the game were not his finest moments but surely a player should be judged for his overall game and I did not think he was our worst player last night.

It's amazing that we were even in the game when you take in the above, very hard to win any game of football with so many players unable to impact the game.

Great call kernel.

I was thinking that last night.....we were within striking distance all night...….it was just so frustrating that we couldn't take the advantage when we were dominating.

I wonder if that just says as much about where Adelaide are atm.

Maybe, but there are very few players who did not play that can be brought in.

Moreso if Webster is as rumoured to be injured again.

Paton and Newnes most likely will be both back in. Possibly Hannas. Note sure about Steven as he reportedly told the club last week that he did not want to be selected for the Crows game.

White and White seem to both have lines ruled through their names.

Marsh could be, but talls are not really a problem for us. Yes Battle had a bad game, but has had an outstanding year.

So a half fit Steven can’t get injured in the seconds? Not sure that makes sense. And if that midfield won’t win finals then at least improve the midfield by playing Steven.

I think you'll find it's Stevens

Bruce - 1.3
Sinclair - 13 disposals

Sinclair played well, he used it well had two of our 5 goal assists which would have been three if Bruce had kicked accurately from an easy shot on goal. 84.6% DE, 4 tackles, 4 I50, 2 GA, 1 Clanger and 78% game time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sinclair played well, he used it well had two of our 5 goal assists which would have been three if Bruce had kicked accurately from an easy shot on goal. 84.6% DE, 4 tackles, 4 I50, 2 GA, 1 Clanger and 78% game time.
That’s true, I liked his game, just wish he could find a bit more of the ball, we’re a better side with it in his hands.

I am like a broken record on this one but have been watching Carlisle closely. His agility is diabolical. He just can't turn, which results in him losing his feet every contest.

I know I am alone on this one but I think he is grossly overrated as a footballer. His one elite season he was on drugs. The game has changed, I genuinely don't see a role for him. He can't defend and his rebounding has gone downhill.

If he was as good as everybody thinks he would at least be of some use down forward but has regularly shown he represents no threat at all. Slow, poor in the contest (skinny legs and top heavy IMO). Just another overrated footballer on top dollar on our list.

I wouldn’t be opposed to trading him and going after Ben king or Alex Keath as a replacement. With battle, Marsh, Austin, Joyce and Clav I feel we have enough to cover him. His good games have been few and far between in saints colours

So the phrase to describe last night was 'lack of composure'. From Long's brainfade 50 and DMac's silly free to Bruce and Membrey missing high percentage chances that they are paid to convert. That's literally four goals right there, that just needed a tiny bit more composure.

For mine though the most disappointing player was Carlisle. Just let Tex go and do his own thing; what was it, three times Carlisle let Tex go out the other side of a stoppage and then just rolled off him; that time Tex led out to the 50 there was a half-assed 'hand off' to Hunter Clark of all people (not Clark's fault).

Carlisle is the most difficult decision we have in the off season I reckon. He would have currency; the question is has he come back too early from injury or does he just not give a rats' at the moment?

Bruce - 1.3
Sinclair - 13 disposals

I was surprised Sinclair only had 13 disposals. I thought he was one of our most impactful players all game.

I wouldn’t be opposed to trading him and going after Ben king or Alex Keath as a replacement. With battle, Marsh, Austin, Joyce and Clav I feel we have enough to cover him. His good games have been few and far between in saints colours
Four D grade defenders don't = one A grade defender...

That’s true, I liked his game, just wish he could find a bit more of the ball, we’re a better side with it in his hands.
We don’t use him the way I would but they can’t all play the same position. It seems like a waste not to put it into the hands of players who can use it though.

Last edited:
I'm looking at the game through my filters and the things I see are unfortunately the same things I've seen all year, the lack of polish with ball in hand, the disposal to a static team mate leading to chains of disposals to a static team ate under the same or greater pressure, the disposal backwards to retain possession, the lack of physical presence and the ever present bugbear of entries into forward 50. These things speak to me more of list and game plan. The teams we struggle to be competitive against that really expose these issues, Adelaide, Fremantle and Sydney. We're back to 20 shots on goal and at that point we're relying on both our and our opponents accuracy or lack thereof.

At this stage of the year, with where we're at with the coach, there won't be much change so it's all about next year, and this game was a snapshot of what we get wrong and what we get right, transition, skills, game plan, talent and size. Too many players that are 50/50, for all the good they do when they utensil up it's gut wrenching and infuriating to watch and I honestly couldn't say I was pleased with anyone's game, and yet we had only 2 fewer scoring shots, it could so easily been a 13.07.85 to 12.10.72 victory for us and an epic victory. But the players do try, they all hurt when we lose they do play for each other, they work hard, the run and harass, they given multiple effort.

I really don't want to single anyone out, they all had face palm moments, so I'll just say I thought we really missed Acres, not just his ability to ride a tackle but his ability to find an option in better position.

Our problems start in the midfield and aren't about the numbers of tackles, possessions, clearances, kicks, handballs, kicks, DE, first or second efforts, desire, pressure acts or metres gained. What we lack is someone with vision and the ability to create, whether through force of will or just sheer talent, Stuv and Acres (for all his faults) are the only ones that comes close, the rest are expendable. Maybe Clark and Bytel can step up, maybe Hanners can get his body right, but until something is done, until we find 2,3 or 4 this group is going nowhere other than the bottom of the 8 at best.

Our skills in the last game against demons were bad just like yesterday's game.

But our leaders stood up in the last game. Guys like Ross, Billings, Bruce played really well in the last game. But in yesterday's game, our leaders went missing and we can't blame youngsters to pick up their slack.

We need real leaders, when the game is on the line, the leaders usually demand footy. That's why we drafted Hannebery. Crouch and Hill will be a perfect fit if we can convince them to come over to us.

Last edited:
Our skills in the last game against demons were bad just like yesterday's game.

But our leaders stood up in the last game. Guys like Ross, Billings, Bruce played really well in the last game. But in yesterday's game, our leaders went missing and we can't blame youngsters to pick up their slack.

We need real leaders, when the game is on the line, the leaders usually demand footy. That's why we drafted Hannebery and crouch and Hill will be a perfect fit.
Yeah, just doesn't seem to be a lot of on-field leadership from our more experienced players at times.

Something also to rememberis the gastro. I don't want to make excuses but one thing we have done this year is at leastrun out games and it looked like half the team ran out of gas in the third against one of the notoriously worst finishing sides going around. Seems like it hit a few more than the club admitted.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back