Society/Culture Gillette suggests most of its customers are sexist, predatory, bullies. Good idea?

TimmeT

Premiership Player
Mar 28, 2017
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
It does.

Commodifying the "values" or a recognisable avatar removes their material context.

How is Dodge trying to mainstream anticapitalism by using MLK in advertising material? Please don't be this stupid.
Big problem with you trying to use the Dodge example in the way you have in order to try and get one over me is that it was widely criticised for taking the MLK comments totally out of context.

Sep 21, 2004
AFL Club
GWS
I know this would be a foreign concept to someone like you however who falls into that small group known as cucks by self confession

Have I? Or is it I haven't understood them in the way mentally disturbed leftists like yourself think that they should be interpreted and/or understood.

Then resorts to playing the victim.

As usual when you get challenged, someone won't agree with you or asked questions you come out and attack other users who almost always have a different political persuasion to you.

HurleyHepsHird

Ghost Stories for the End of the World
Oct 2, 2011
Between the Lines
AFL Club
West Coast
What percentage weren’t?
No idea, I'm not sure that's something that can or has been quantitatively defined.

But as agrarian societies organised and mature they become almost explicitly stratified and hierarchal.

Not something we will have to worry about if supply chains for oil collapse and production of industrial fertilisers ends.

Last edited:

HurleyHepsHird

Oct 2, 2011
Between the Lines
AFL Club
West Coast
Big problem with you trying to use the Dodge example in the way you have in order to try and get one over me is that it was widely criticised for taking the MLK comments totally out of context.
You are an idiot, I don't need to "get one over on you".

Mine is not a new observation, in fact the concept that capitalism seeks to undermine the material basis for social movements is over 150 years old.

But how this applies to advertising should be obvious. For example a Pepsi commercial that co-opts the immagery of civil rights, or anti-capitalist protests does not sell these ideologies, instead it undermines them. When the protesters cheer and violence de-escalates because they drink a Pepsi, it implies consumption of a product resolves social tension, completely dismissing their underlying real world premise.

As does the woke capitalism of many other brands, by associating a product with surface level recognition and consumption with resolution, ignoring material underlying exploitation and/or structural discrimination. This is particularly useful because it obscures the contribution of capitalism and often these companies to said problems.

See tech giants and diversity washing, despite many like Amazon providing essential services for DHS/ICE or google's subsidiaries being a major defence contractor.

Last edited:

HurleyHepsHird

Oct 2, 2011
Between the Lines
AFL Club
West Coast
This is what I would have thought in hindsight. I’m sure the publicity was more than they ever dreamed they’d get, didn’t help their slide though it appears.
Also, the 8 billion in write downs doesn't mean 8 billion in lost sales.

It just means the parent company sees an incentive for having that revaluation on the books. You don't know what a division or it's assets are really worth till you try and sell them. This will be about tax and taking a hit to the share price now, because the parent has other plans in motion for a future quarter.

its free real estate

it's free real estate
Jul 30, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
No idea, I'm not sure that's something that can or has been quantitatively defined.

But as agrarian societies organised and mature they become almost explicitly stratified and hierarchal.

Not something we will have to worry about if supply chains for oil collapse and production of industrial fertilisers ends.
Haven’t most prehistoric genomic studies shown that changes to populations have been male mediated - eg men moving in to new lands, sweeping away the existing men, and uhh procreating with the remaining native women. That sounds very winner takes all and anti-egalitarian.

HurleyHepsHird

Oct 2, 2011
Between the Lines
AFL Club
West Coast
Haven’t most prehistoric genomic studies shown that changes to populations have been male mediated - eg men moving in to new lands, sweeping away the existing men, and uhh procreating with the remaining native women. That sounds very winner takes all and anti-egalitarian.
They definitely haven't been male mediated. Climate and resource mediated.

CheapCharlie

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 12, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
I have not purchased anything marketed by the Hipster Grifters since this broke, and this has held me in good stead.

I have also saved money switching over to the far superior Schick product, which is really good.

Just taking it one shave at a time :thumbsu:
The fawning virtue signallers who loved the gillette commercial have all pledged to buy gillette products ... if they start shaving again

HurleyHepsHird

Oct 2, 2011
Between the Lines
AFL Club
West Coast
Why is it that genes show otherwise?
I'm not sure what you are suggesting, that people have sex? You get a chromosomal pair from both parents.

Or are you saying female sex selection of males predicated by physical conquest is the single biggest factor in population change? That'd be a huge no.

Sex selection played a big part in early human development, but this probably had to do with problem solving, tool use etc. By the time of early agrarian society climate was the biggest factor affecting population success.

its free real estate

it's free real estate
Jul 30, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
I'm not sure what you are suggesting, that people have sex? You get a chromosomal pair from both parents.

Or are you saying female sex selection of males predicated by physical conquest is the single biggest factor in population change? That'd be a huge no.

Sex selection played a big part in early human development, but this probably had to do with problem solving, tool use etc. By the time of early agrarian society climate was the biggest factor affecting population success.
You get a Y chromosome from your dad, your dad has the capacity to have more children in his lifetime than your mum if things are favourable for him. Studies of Y chromosomes in India and Europe have shown that relatively few men father children relative to women, and they were late arrivals who replaced the existing male population

That’s without getting into Genghis Khan’s multiple conquests. What does he have, 20 million male descendents?

HurleyHepsHird

Oct 2, 2011
Between the Lines
AFL Club
West Coast
You get a Y chromosome from your dad, your dad has the capacity to have more children in his lifetime than your mum if things are favourable for him. Studies of Y chromosomes in India and Europe have shown that relatively few men father children relative to women, and they were late arrivals who replaced the existing male population

That’s without getting into Genghis Khan’s multiple conquests. What does he have, 20 million male descendents?
Of course. This part of human physiology, since it's so expensive and "risky" for females to bear children. But that's not sex selection.

HurleyHepsHird

Oct 2, 2011
Between the Lines
AFL Club
West Coast
If me and my buddies storm across the landscape, killing every man and raping every woman, who is doing the selection?
You can't just change the meaning of words to suit yourself.

There are three things happening here, both Mendelian and non-Mendelian forces. You have migration, (physical) competition leading to a depopulation event, and there may possibly be limited sex selection.

But invasion and depopulation were relatively minor events in the early agrarian period. Populations are still low, expansionist and spread out. Warfare is extremely costly in terms of guaranteeing success. Literally the two major factors, exponentially greater than any other in this period were climate and resource availability. Frankly it's not even close. In fact they created the population explosion, along with the transition from horticulture to systematic agriculture, which made cities, resource intensive fortification, hyper competition for said resources and organised warfare possible. Ghengis was thousands of years later and stands as an outlier in terms of sheer volume of murder. And yes, he ****ed a lot. But the countless unknown people, before and still a century or so after his time could have millions descendants.

As for shifts in climate during the Neolithic to early Bronze age, they wiped out entire early civilisations. A battle is a single event that typically acts over a short duration. Expansion due to favourable climactic conditions and resource availability creates changes measured over generations. Alternately, a war during such an early stage of development may obliterate a town, displace people from a locale, or even transform with conquest a budding civilisation, but those people might return, integrate and population and social dynamics are more complicated than new males replacing all old males. See (the later period example) Sparta for instance.

However, a change in climate, diversion of a river, shift in seasons etc. depopulated or caused population growth throughout entire regions lasting hundreds of years or even millennia at the onset of agricultural development. Conquest helped shape culture at the advent of civilisation, but factors effecting genetic success were myriad, with the natural world playing a far bigger hand.

Last edited:

its free real estate

it's free real estate
Jul 30, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
You can't just change the meaning of words to suit yourself.

There are three things happening here, both Mendelian and non-Mendelian forces. You have migration, (physical) competition leading to a depopulation event, and there may possibly be limited sex selection.

But invasion and depopulation were relatively minor events in the early agrarian period. Populations are still low, expansionist and spread out. Warfare is extremely costly in terms of guaranteeing success. Literally the two major factors, exponentially greater than any other in this period were climate and resource availability. Frankly it's not even close. In fact they created the population explosion, along with the transition from horticulture to systematic agriculture, which made cities, resource intensive fortification, hyper competition for said resources and organised warfare possible. Ghengis was thousands of years later and stands as an outlier in terms of sheer volume of murder. And yes, he f’ed a lot. But the countless unknown people, before and still a century or so after his time could have millions descendants.

As for shifts in climate during the Neolithic to early Bronze age, they wiped out entire early civilisations. A battle is a single event that typically acts over a short duration. Expansion due to favourable climactic conditions and resource availability creates changes measured over generations. Alternately, a war during such an early stage of development may obliterate a town, displace people from a locale, or even transform with conquest a budding civilisation, but those people might return, integrate and population and social dynamics are more complicated than new males replacing all old males. See (the later period example) Sparta for instance.

However, a change in climate, diversion of a river, shift in seasons etc. depopulated or caused population growth throughout entire regions lasting hundreds of years or even millennia at the onset of agricultural development.
Explain the Yamnaya then. Pretty successful!

Back