Autopsy Loss v Giants

Remove this Banner Ad

No he had a very poor game & having Kennedy around him made him a better player the weeks before & after because the other blokes took the best stoppers. He then played a great game a week later back on the MCG against the Hawks playing a more defensive game on Sam Mitchell as a stopper but also found the ball himself.
He was going through our usual development of a player but fair enough, he's become the number one man at Hawks but only because, by his own admission, he got fitter.

he wasnt good that game true

but you claimed he was asked to lead the midfield, he wasnt asked too

and what he was better with our star mid back? and improved as he matured? crazy stuff

if you just want to say you cant stand him thats fine, but cmon rewriting history a bit

Correct. Changing clubs flicked the switch for him. I'm sure Sydney was telling him he had to get fitter and watch his folds etc but with little to encourage him to do it. Hawks come in, here's the number 1 spot but you need to do a, b, c to guarantee the spot. All the sudden he has some motivation to do what I'm sure he was always asked to do in the first place. Also he was 22ish when he left? He was just starting to hit is straps as an elite player when he left. A little more mature both physically and mentally. Sydney put in all the hard work without having the position to offer him. Hawks offered him the position and reaped the rewards.

mitchell was our best mid prospect, we needed him ideally and still do, this idea there wasnt a spot was just drivvel peddled by harley and swans fans just justify letting him walk for reasonable dollars after we low balled him

id take mitchell over every swans mid right now including kennedy, blind freddy could see that was coming

but we are getting off topic and i know people like to pretend tom stinks or has no impact or was money hungry etc so lets move on

mitchell was our best mid prospect, we needed him ideally and still do, this idea there wasnt a spot was just drivvel peddled by harley and swans fans just justify letting him walk for reasonable dollars after we low balled him

id take mitchell over every swans mid right now including kennedy, blind freddy could see that was coming

but we are getting off topic and i know people like to pretend tom stinks or has no impact or was money hungry etc so lets move on
Spot on

No spot lol

They underrated him plan and simple , the first day trade and pick suggest that even more so

They thought Parker could lead and Heeney and mills would be a grade mids and overrated them obviously.

Mitchell shits on anyone in our midfield at the minute

I think its clear that Mitchell, Dunkley, Membrey, Newman would all be in our best 22 (Nankervis pretty close)

But I agree with you, we've got to focus on working out what to do with what we have left

he wasnt good that game true

but you claimed he was asked to lead the midfield, he wasnt asked too

and what he was better with our star mid back? and improved as he matured? crazy stuff

if you just want to say you cant stand him thats fine, but cmon rewriting history a bit

No true he didn't lead the midfield but without Kennedy there, he was given more attention than in the previous weeks where he had accumulated 37 & 33 possies in some games with JPK there. It was a great combination indeed.

We have to get one thing clear though, it may come across that I can't stand him but that's not the case. My posting on the topic is more about not hanging the club for the only reason he isn't with us anymore. In my opinion, based on chatter at the time, it was the general view of people etc from junior footy that he would finish his career in Victoria but I personally held out hope we could win him over.

I also know that the recruitment of Buddy, which I have loved, got some noses out of joint regarding the $$$ or lack there of. So IMO it's not only about becoming the number one midfielder but perhaps the number one earning player, which he would never be with Buddy there until 2022, when Tom would have been 29 & perhaps past his earning prime.

Now I honestly do not blame him for the decision to go for long term monetary benefit because as we saw with him breaking his leg, he only has a small opportunity to earn maximum dollars. In fact I think he made a smart move financially for the long term, by leaving, something I would want my son to have done in such a brutal sport so kudos to Tom. But I get annoyed when the club gets slammed on here, so I go into bat for them.

Anyway................BORING!

No true he didn't lead the midfield but without Kennedy there, he was given more attention than in the previous weeks where he had accumulated 37 & 33 possies in some games with JPK there. It was a great combination indeed.

We have to get one thing clear though, it may come across that I can't stand him but that's not the case. My posting on the topic is more about not hanging the club for the only reason he isn't with us anymore. In my opinion, based on chatter at the time, it was the general view of people etc from junior footy that he would finish his career in Victoria but I personally held out hope we could win him over.

I also know that the recruitment of Buddy, which I have loved, got some noses out of joint regarding the $$$ or lack there of. So IMO it's not only about becoming the number one midfielder but perhaps the number one earning player, which he would never be with Buddy there until 2022, when Tom would have been 29 & perhaps past his earning prime.

Now I honestly do not blame him for the decision to go for long term monetary benefit because as we saw with him breaking his leg, he only has a small opportunity to earn maximum dollars. In fact I think he made a smart move financially for the long term, by leaving, something I would want my son to have done in such a brutal sport so kudos to Tom. But I get annoyed when the club gets slammed on here, so I go into bat for them.

Anyway................BORING!

a good effort yesterday by the lads

Watched the replay again. Geez Clarke has a crack. We need to cut him some slack as he really wants to belong & you could see when he kicked that goal how happy his team mates were for him so they seriously like him.
He makes mistakes but far out, as good as Jonesy is breaking the lines, he seriously has issues of his own with certain parts of his game. The guys tried their hearts out. Right now we need them all.

Watched the replay again. Geez Clarke has a crack. We need to cut him some slack as he really wants to belong & you could see when he kicked that goal how happy his team mates were for him so they seriously like him.
He makes mistakes but far out, as good as Jonesy is breaking the lines, he seriously has issues of his own with certain parts of his game. The guys tried their hearts out. Right now we need them all.

Massive last quarter by Clarke.

I’ve always thought that now with social media, umps are the number 1 target for fans. I just wonder if umpiring was this bad in the 90s and early 2000s. Now with a place to vent on social media, are umps just pressured so much to the point where they just overthink it sometimes these days? It’s not just the AFL but other leagues around the world... Hmm

No. Social media is not the problem. Umpire coaching and the AFL agenda are the problem. If you hacked into the AFL computers I'm sure you'd find some very interesting reading. After the Buddy signing Fitzpatrick made the comment that the Swans would not win a premiership on his watch. He actually said this. He was angry but that is not the point. I think in 2016 that promise was well and truly carried out. He retired just after.

Think of all the memos between him, Gil, the football operations manager, umpires director etc. Would make very interesting reading I should think. Add Lucky Eddie to the mix as well as Brayshaw and Co. I think the AFL is a very corrupt organisation. It is an organisation responsible for the integrity of the game and who's teams are bet on and it takes gambling sponsorship. If people can't see the problem with this then we have a crisis as a community.

As for the Reid incident. This has happened all season. Sam Reid has been getting more and more frustrated. It happened to Dawson last week and two weeks before. Both times the umpire called play on. All incidents were very obvious free kicks. When they are not playing the obvious frees then that stinks of some sort of interference.

On ANE-LX2J using BigFooty.com mobile app

Massive last quarter by Clarke.
Prob in the same camp as others who weren't sold on him initially and i guess jury is still out. Had a good game agaist norf but i thought they didn't pay him enough attention and gave him too much space to almost gather possessions at will. Against gws who tho were mising a number of 1st line mids still had plenty of quality out there and clarke definitely excelled.

Florent looked better for last week off.

With a little luck we could have won.

Heeney after the game reactions looked like a bloke who knew he had missed his chances in front of goal. Still had a great game but could have been a little better.

I’ve bagged Clarke for his disposals but he looked good in the last.

All the talk of tanking is just dribble as the team played like they wanted to win which is all you can ask for as a fan.

He can't hit the side of a barn with his disposal the majority of the time but **** He has the Tank of A Mack Truck. Runs his guts out. When You think about it Not hitting the side of a Barn and Running his Guts out makes us no worse off than Hanneberry for the last 2-3 Years. Persist with him at his age.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bagging players if fine. Especially Ollie for example ;) . Never seen a guy get it so often and do so little with it. 28 disposals of pure no impact.Still, a much improved effort I guess. So the bottom is in, and lets hope he finishes the year well. Perhaps needed a rest all along. Like Hayward, like Heeney, like...

Just quietly I think people might have an issue with telling an all time great and club captain to GTFO. Sure he is slowing up his prolific output, but....
And anyway can you imagine how much better he and Parker might be if they got a tap to advantage more than once per game? We are losing the HOs about 3-1 or worse atm. The HO to advantage stat must surely be all time lows over the whole year. (No fault of McLean who is solid and looks a fwd/ruck prospect for sure)

You have never seen Jake Lloyd play then I take it. He's number 44.

Also Jones i know now why he rushes every disposal there is a different ruleset on HTB that applies to him.

Yeah he doesn't get much of an opportunity to get rid of it. Having said that Players who roll the dice taking them on are treated a bit differently to a bloke just wrapped up in close. Live by the sword die by it unfortunately. Just wish he would pick his times to go a bit better.

He can't hit the side of a barn with his disposal the majority of the time but **** He has the Tank of A Mack Truck. Runs his guts out. When You think about it Not hitting the side of a Barn and Running his Guts out makes us no worse off than Hanneberry for the last 2-3 Years. Persist with him at his age.

His disposal by foot actually isn’t that bad. He’s not a raking kick but he’s ok and seems to know his limits and not bomb blindly too often.

It’s his decision making under pressure usually. I’d guess at least 80% of his turnovers are him taking a second too long to pull the trigger on a handball, therefore either getting caught which affects the disposal, or simply passing it behind his teammate.

If he’s confident enough to take the right option at the right time in traffic then he’s fine.

I think its clear that Mitchell, Dunkley, Membrey, Newman would all be in our best 22 (Nankervis pretty close)

But I agree with you, we've got to focus on working out what to do with what we have left

Lewis Jetta (tho leaving for different reasons) says hi and suggests as a current Premiership player he too might get the odd game with us.

I've looked at this image from all angles, from above & from below, from the stand & from my lounge.
The only obvious thing that I can make from that blurred vision is that the umpire is a maggot!
Have a look at the Phil Hillyard photo of Reid where arms are locked.

EBClnXhUYAANjiC

I’m happy for the Reid mark to be play on

But needs to always be play on

I don't like telling people they are wrong but you are wrong here Kingy. He had both hands on it, and even though Reid plays with soap on his hands, he 100% had control of that ball. Until his left arm was pulled down.

I knew the AFL is all about appealing to international audiences nowadays, but I didn't think they'd go to such lengths to bring Stevie Wonder in to officiate one of their matches.

I can tell you that there is a pecking order. All players have set positions including at the center square. There are better spots to stand at the bounce and the number 1 mid gets prime position to get the clearance. And I don't want to start this debate again but this is one of the main reasons Tom Mitchell is no longer at our club. He wanted prime position at center square and didn't want to wait his turn.

Ok.
:huh:

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back