Society/Culture Jordan B Peterson

Remove this Banner Ad

I had a quick look, and the opening part was from a person claiming Indigenous science had been ignored.

Does anyone go on to make a claim that science is just a tool to oppress non-whites? Because these 2 are very different things.
They go through a lot of the theories of science according to the classic postmodernist and examples of it today.

I had a quick look, and the opening part was from a person claiming Indigenous science had been ignored.

Does anyone go on to make a claim that science is just a tool to oppress non-whites? Because these 2 are very different things.
Yes

But science at this time was more than just a practical or ideological tool when it came to empire. Since its birth around the same time as Europeans began conquering other parts of the world, modern Western science was inextricably entangled with colonialism, especially British imperialism. And the legacy of that colonialism still pervades science today.​
As a result, recent years have seen an increasing number of calls to “decolonise science”, even going so far as to advocate scrapping the practice and findings of modern science altogether. Tackling the lingering influence of colonialism in science is much needed. But there are also dangers that the more extreme attempts to do so could play into the hands of religious fundamentalists and ultra-nationalists. We must find a way to remove the inequalities promoted by modern science while making sure its huge potential benefits work for everyone, instead of letting it become a tool for oppression.​

Tl;dr science is filled with baddies, but we can't rid of it completely because it might enable worsies, so I dunno, let's decolonise it by keeping only the bits which agree with our politics.

Yes

But science at this time was more than just a practical or ideological tool when it came to empire. Since its birth around the same time as Europeans began conquering other parts of the world, modern Western science was inextricably entangled with colonialism, especially British imperialism. And the legacy of that colonialism still pervades science today.​
As a result, recent years have seen an increasing number of calls to “decolonise science”, even going so far as to advocate scrapping the practice and findings of modern science altogether. Tackling the lingering influence of colonialism in science is much needed. But there are also dangers that the more extreme attempts to do so could play into the hands of religious fundamentalists and ultra-nationalists. We must find a way to remove the inequalities promoted by modern science while making sure its huge potential benefits work for everyone, instead of letting it become a tool for oppression.​

Tl;dr science is filled with baddies, but we can't rid of it completely because it might enable worsies, so I dunno, let's decolonise it by keeping only the bits which agree with our politics.
Holy s**t.

Jordan Peterson, the Canadian psychologist and anti-political-correctness crusader, has checked himself in to rehab in New York.

The 12 Rules for Life author has sought help trying to get off the anti-anxiety drug clonazepam, his daughter Mikhaila Peterson said in a video posted to her YouTube account Thursday.

“I’ve never seen my dad like this,” the 27-year-old diet blogger said in the eight-and-a-half-minute video. “He’s having a miserable time of it. It breaks my heart.”

The elder Peterson, 57, began taking the addictive medication to deal with stress from his wife’s battle with cancer and other health problems earlier this year, his daughter said.

The controversial University of Toronto professor has been open about his previous struggles with depression, which he has battled since his teen years.

He’s said he beat it back with the meat-heavy diet his daughter encouraged him to adopt. Cutting out greens altogether improved both his mental and physical health, he said in an interview last year.

A journey into the centre of the mind of the worst person you've ever met.
There's one in there about "the opposite of a criminal being an oedipal mother... which is another kind of criminal anyway".

This is what you get when you write a book based off of a Quora post.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

lol you clowns are unreal

It's pointless putting forward contrary views. They don't even look at them. It's classical extremist pathology.

It's pointless putting forward contrary views. They don't even look at them. It's classical extremist pathology.
Thing is with Jordie there isn’t a cohesive picture that paints his blog-book in a good light.

It is generally nonsense.

Should have kept her room tidier.

I know the saying is "don't speak ill of the dead", but I'm not sure the terminally ill is a great target for a joke either.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back