Autopsy Round 20, 2019: Adelaide v St.Kilda *DUNSTAN'S 100TH*

Remove this Banner Ad

Jack Martin and Carlisle should get together and form the Piss Weak Overpaid Players Club.

Both are protecting their bodies from injury, both have mentally left already.

But then you could say one of the goals kicked on him was bad luck because the ball held up and Adelaide was lucky that it didn't roll over the line. Footy is a game of inches and luck, he had the quick hands to capitalise. It was a good play.
I’m very concerned that my post did not receive a
AC0EFB55-8BDE-4174-9AF6-9DDD9686545C.gif

You guys bite way too easily. Clearly I’ve been away too long

Battle and Carlisle were more like anchors than passengers too. Provided less than zero and took an enormous amount of focus from the coaches box to make them part of the game.
Battle doesn’t look like the same player since he was injured imo.

Healy or someone said he runs on train tracks or something similar, I took it to mean he runs in straight lines and lacks agility. He looks fine when he’s fit but some players can’t carry an injury maybe he’s one of them.

Not sure how much you can judge Ratten off this game. Team decimated by injury, still put up a good fight and were right in it until the last quarter when we lacked poise, got some unlucky decisions and some indiscipline.

I thought Ratten made some good moves last night. Moving DMac off Betts into the fwd line worked. He was willing to change things up.

This will come across pretty crazy but if you bring in the three gastros I think we win. Gastro cost us the game :poo:

Battle doesn’t look like the same player since he was injured imo.

Healy or someone said he runs on train tracks or something similar, I took it to mean he runs in straight lines and lacks agility. He looks fine when he’s fit but some players can’t carry an injury maybe he’s one of them.
Played one game in a completely different position that he clearly looked lost in. Looked better once be settled into the backline in the last quarter.

Looked like more of the same that we are used too. Same problems. I don't see much difference between richo and Ratten beyond length of tenure.

They're pretty much the same. Ratts himself said that.
No thanks don't want my teams with any of those two.
IMO that is one of the truths we have to deal with rather than hoodwinking ourselves thinking otherwise. i dont think that RICHO Or RATTS are the CATS FOR US.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Battle was horrible but don’t blame him he didn’t really have a position it felt like club just played him because really

As ive been banging on about for weeks- with wilkie and battle coming on this year we aren't able to play our first choice backline players all in the same team- we're too tall and slow down there with brown, jake, wilkie and battle.

Something has to give- for me the prime candidate is seeing if jake could net us a gun mid.
2 birds, 1 stone- help our lousy midfield and fix out backline imbalance.

As for the game- I liked savage's game.
Billings has been good all year but was horrid last night, shocking disposal by hand and foot burned us all night.

Gresh was also poor.

Roma played well, but I was similarly impressed with that crows kid- he really did well outpositioning roma at ruck contests which i've not seen anyone go all year.

Roma has his measure around the ground though

As ive been banging on about for weeks- with wilkie and battle coming on this year we aren't able to play our first choice backline players all in the same team- we're too tall and slow down there with brown, jake, wilkie and battle.

Something has to give- for me the prime candidate is seeing if jake could net us a gun mid.
2 birds, 1 stone- help our lousy midfield and fix out backline imbalance.

As for the game- I liked savage's game.
Billings has been good all year but was horrid last night, shocking disposal by hand and foot burned us all night.

Gresh was also poor.

Roma played well, but I was similarly impressed with that crows kid- he really did well outpositioning roma at ruck contests which i've not seen anyone go all year.

Roma has his measure around the ground though
surely Brown goes first?

But I see your point about Jake.

surely Brown goes first?

We can't replace brown with a smaller, quicker guy at FB. We need a slower, bigger guy at FB- whether it is brown or someone else.

As Ive said and demonstrated with a million examples before- jake playing FB is an absolute fairytale, so that can't happen to rebalance.
Battle has the size to play FB but I think, like jake- he's good because of his attacking attributes.
Take those opportunites away from him by making him play accountable FB- and we'd be losing more than we gain.

Wilkie is great 1 on 1- but doesn't have the size to play FB everyweek- it would be jimmy gwilt mk2 all over again.

Id love to keep jake, hes a great attacking rebounding defender- but his size and speed in our backline is a problem with all the other talls.

Something significant has to change though- maybe it's battle back fwd?
Maybe it's jake traded for a gun mid?

surely Brown goes first?

Jake’s at least got some currency, I suppose.
I’d be ok giving Browny one more year for his experience.

It was an incredibly frustrating game of footy to watch last night by its nature, it had all the components, home ground umpiring, stupid self-inflicted 50 meter penalties and butchering opportunities with poor skills.

But honestly, I think there are too many over the top reactions to the loss on here.

For me (and I don’t think this is just confirmation bias at play) this was an improved performance from the Richo years when we came up against a better opponent away from home...and we were unlucky not to take the points in the end.

We went toe-to toe with them and I felt our midfield outplayed them nearly all of the night. Our midfield is often seen as our weakest point but I like the look of it the past few weeks with Dunstan, Steele, Gresh and Ross mixing it with so called better midfields.

In the end, what killed us was coming up against a team that have a gameplan we just can’t deal with at the moment at this point in our journey. Their precision kicking just kills us. But I saw enough last night to think that after another pre-season and an improved gameplan, we won’t be losing to this team for a long time.

All I want to see is composure being the main thing emphasized next pre-season. A new gameplan, and some more experience and composure injected into this group over the off-season and I see some great things in the future.

Nothing from last night changed it, I saw a greater resilience under pressure than I have for a long time. We just, unfortunately have too many bad habits to expel from the past so it will take time. Bring on the pre-season!

Some statistical quirks from the game:

At h/time, the top ten AF players were Crows.
Eight of the top ten at f/time.

The top five GPS most distance travelled players were all Saints (Wilkie top at 14.7km)
Adelaide heat map indicated Adelaide played mostly in their defensive half.
St Kilda heat map indicated St Kilda played mostly in the centre or wing.

Those last three are strange given football is territorial nowadays, from that you’d think we were dominant.

Jake’s at least got some currency, I suppose.
I’d be ok giving Browny one more year for his experience.
IMO a great midfield disguises an average full back.

Maybe someone like Joyce? Dunno just guessing.

If Jake netted us a gun mid, our defence gets better by default.

Thank goodness I'm not a list manager.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back