Review Round 20, 2019 - Brisbane Lions vs. Western Bulldogs

Who were your five best players against Western Bulldogs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

wow what a roller coaster!

I teared up a bit after the tackle by Dizzy, it was just the cherry on top of our amazing first half pressure. So proud of their work

Answerth tearing through packs such mongrel in him its awesome
Bailey using his speed to cut off a ground ball that looked like an easy doggies 50 entry
Bloody even Witho was doing the grunt work! it was awesome
Rayner, McCluggage and Berry as well to round out the youngsters. They were all terrific (in the first!)

Berry has really grown into the season. FINALLY!

That drop off was dissapointing, but not all unexpected (on the view that the doggies were butchering a lot of their stuff early on, once they got some more composure they sliced through us)

But we showed some real composure. Really happy for Hippy to take that responsibility and slot those two shots. A big shame CHristensen missed his one. But that won't detract from his really good night.

Andrews looked amazing all night, except for 2 1/2 moments. That body bump off by Naughton nice work by him, the one were he was covering two and went for the wrong one..eh and that kick out of defense which was a shocker. But I'm being extremely nit picky there!
Can't mention Andrews without DIZZY. Take that one tackle and you'd be elated, but his constant work for the whole bloody night was so so good. Loved it!

Robbo was on fire and was there with the special stuff.

McStay and Hippy worked really really hard in the first half. McStay in the last quarter had like 4 or 5 almost moments. Him and Big O got mixed a bit

Adams i thought was very nice too.

Honestly the only player who had an off night was probably McCarthy. Those missed shots, and then some *just* off handballs here and there. But it wasn't a shocker by any means.
Lyons was a bit quiet but he lifted late. As did Neale who single handedly (with some beautiful tap work with Stef) got us 2 goals.

Man that was a good win. Percentage .. meh the points are good for now.

and finally. Loved that shot of Fages waslking off giving a thumbs up to the crowd then high fiving them! He looked grumpy, but I think that is appropriate.

Really great team effort in the end, good to come away with the win and not feel like it was down to Neale, Lyons and Zorko having a dominating game.

Mitch was great in the first half, Berry down some really good things and stood up when needed.

Answerth was really good again today, won some important contests and showed more signs of a great developing player.

Good win, it was always going to be tough getting the Bulldogs with essentially their season on the line. I thought Tim English got them back into it with his tap work, without him we probably would of gone on with it. Robbo bog for us

That's the most you've done around here for a while anyway.

Hey, I refrained from carding BRAB for crappy analogies! That has to count for something.

I can never read a read on our performance in clearances tbh. We've been losing them (i think?) the last few weeks or so? Is it the rucks or our mids? I think we came back nicely though.

McCarthy has really nice hands down low and up high, but twice now (great sample selection i know) in that running into the open goal, and the second was a while ago when he was running in from 75m out or so and was taking a bounce as he came into the 50, when the ball is floating just around his upper chest area he just loses contact with it.

Eh I'm reading too much into it. Prob just a brainfade.

I feel like in the first half we were making a statement to the comp, showing us firing at pretty high cylinders. I just hope they got scared and turned off after half time :p

Very weird feeling after the game. After the last 10 years you’d think we’d be happy with any win but when we had the chance to bury them and put some percentage on the board we crumbled. Oh well I guess can’t complain to much with a 15-5 record but can’t do that in finals and expect to get away with it.

Afl live has Zorko, Adams and mcstay as out, out and injured. Not sure how long each player was out but that’s gotta show at the end of a game.

Pardon the intrusion everyone

Good job today by your blokes. Had some hope in the 2nd but you were simply better in the first 2.5 quarters

* what would I give for a Mitch Robinson - don't think it is possible for him to give under 100%.

God I'd love it if you'd go all the way this year - proper nostalgic vibes of watching Voss, Akermanis and friends rip campaigners to shreds in the early '00s when I was a kid.

I'll probably be there next week cheering my head off for you to spank the suns - the joys of living in Brissie. Wonderful to see proper footy back on the map up here

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A win is a win. There was an anxiety that ran through that game, always felt like that come back was imminent even though we were in complete control for most of the first half.

Impressed the way we just held them at arms length during the last 1/4, another possible finals situation dress rehearsal.

Dropping 5 goals, the way we did, isn't ideal - but we cannot just expect to win by 40 points every week. It is what it is.

Another weird Gabba game, that's all I can say.

But... in most of my calculations (baring something silly next week) we may have just chalked up a double chance.

Our structure looked rock solid in the first half but outplayed for quarter and a half after Zorko left the field but still good enough to win it against a fiesty team. I’m expecting a good tussle against the Suns next week as well but would be good to get a percentage boost!

Our structure looked rock solid in the first half but outplayed for quarter and a half after Zorko left the field but still good enough to win it against a fiesty team. I’m expecting a good tussle against the Suns next week as well but would be good to get a percentage boost!

Yeah the structure falls apart if there isn't enough pressure on the ball carrier.

Something else this game reminded me of too - in these last 7 wins we have had different players star at different times and in different matches too. Our team now has the ability to find different ways to win with different players at different times. We play the way we want too - not on the oppositions terms! The commentary mentioned that a few times too 👍

Feel bad for McCarthy. He was getting in good spots but his skills just got out of the wrong side of the bed today. Lucky we've got so much forward depth on the field that Rayner, Bundy and Hipwood were able to compensate.

McStay has seriously good skills except for his goal kicking and is just doing the little things well except for that. I think cos he's such a flat field kick he is worried about the man on the mark and just leans back to get elevation.

Back