Remove this Banner Ad

STFU Donnie

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 31, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Everton, Chiefs Kingdom
The original image shows up as him in a search. Think it is not 1978 though. More likely to be around 1981 I reckon.

You can reckon all you like. It's from the 1978 tour. This is Yallop as captain in 1978/79, wearing the actual second generation of helmets.

download.jpg

Someone once said that if batting were a beauty contest, then Carl Hooper would be Miss World. You could say the same about Ramprakash. Unfortunately he had the mental strength to match.
I remember watching him against West Indies in 98 and it looked like he was finally going to come good but alas that was not to be.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Someone once said that if batting were a beauty contest, then Carl Hooper would be Miss World. You could say the same about Ramprakash. Unfortunately he had the mental strength to match.

Certainly didn’t do enough to erase the years of wasted talent but hooper at least earned some redemption during his last incarnation as a test player, I think he averaged aroun 50 over his last 30 tests. Ramprakash could have done the same if given the chance I think

Certainly didn’t do enough to erase the years of wasted talent but hooper at least earned some redemption during his last incarnation as a test player, I think he averaged aroun 50 over his last 30 tests. Ramprakash could have done the same if given the chance I think

The last test of the 2009 Ashes series it was down to Ramprakash and Trott to replace Bopara for the decider. There was a lot of push for Ramps as he was in great form in County, but they went with Trott. Trott hits a hundred on debut, wins the Ashes and the rest is history.

Sep 30, 2003
Bunvegas
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
WA, Australia
Ended up in Perth, don't know how he's doing at the moment but never heard anyone speak a bad word of him. So hopefully he's doing well!

Agreed that Athers is one of the best commentators going and a fantastic writer, but was a weird decision that failed to recognise personal context.

Had some involvement with Subi-Floreat in Perth Grade Cricket IIRC - one of the WA watchers may be able to correct me if I've got the wrong club.

big_e

Existential crisis management consultant
Apr 28, 2008
Back Pocket
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wycombe Wanderers
Had some involvement with Subi-Floreat in Perth Grade Cricket IIRC - one of the WA watchers may be able to correct me if I've got the wrong club.
His brother Chris runs a sports shirt business in Perth - Dyenamic Sublimation - and I think he is working there. Don't quote me on that - just a memory of an interview Chris did on the radio about it a while back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wow did he really?!?

My respect for him has dipped immeasurably

There's a line at which point courage just becomes pure, naked foolishness. I think given the context, A.B. stayed on its right side.

RedTinMania

Senior List
Oct 16, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Anyone remember that random sheikh from the UAE who went out to face peak Allan Donald in just a floppy hat? His name escapes me right now

EDIT: Sultan Zarawani is the bloke I was thinking of

Batshit crazy stuff that

Ishikawa

Club Legend
Jul 18, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Anyone remember that random sheikh from the UAE who went out to face peak Allan Donald in just a floppy hat? His name escapes me right now

EDIT: Sultan Zarawani is the bloke I was thinking of

Batshit crazy stuff that

Think I've dragged out this story before ala Chappelli, but Gilchrist on debut in an ODI tri series over somewhere in India walked out for the very first time in his Australian cap to face Pat Symcox and another spinner in the middle overs on a turning wicket. Over or two in and they switch back to Donald, Gilchrist not used to batting in a cap nor all that comfortable in his new environment doesn't immediately register to call for the helmet. By the time he realises it's kind of at the awkward point where it's a bit late and not wanting to show weakness to Donald nor his new teammates decides he just has to roll with it. Anyway Donald is incensed and gives him full throttle plus a few choice words at the sheer disrespect of the situation. Gilchrist survives with his head intact and sheepishly calls for a helmet at the end of the over even to face the gentle spin of Symcox.

Watching footage of Robin Smith getting sconned on the chin by a vicious off cutter from Courtney Walsh in 1990. About a minute in...

Ouch. Probably a good thing people don’t don the grill-less helmets anymore. Smith’s pain threshold is insane, that would have hurt so badly.

Wedge McManus

Cancelled
Jan 16, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
Watching footage of Robin Smith getting sconned on the chin by a vicious off cutter from Courtney Walsh in 1990. About a minute in...

Ouch. Probably a good thing people don’t don the grill-less helmets anymore. Smith’s pain threshold is insane, that would have hurt so badly.

Deadset must have had rocks in his head to not wear a grill before getting hit, then taking a ball straight on the jaw at pace and not wearing one after. That's the sort of stuff AB probably dreams about. Utterly stupid machismo

Remove this Banner Ad

Back