The positives thread

Hirsty23

Team Captain
Apr 26, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
We haven't conceded 12 goals in a game in the last 10 games
That's amazing. To be honest I think our backlines ability to withstand pressure and even turn what look to be clear goalscoring opportunities for the opposition into half chances has been insanely impressive over this period. Feels like just yesterday that we were witches hats who averaged 130 points a game against us.

FLVanLandingham

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 3, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I've blanked the second half out of my mind, and just reimagining that first half over and over.

Intense pressure, aggressive in both defence and offense and we were pulling monkeys out of hats and stockings and who knows what else. There have been plays in our games or phases when we excel and show what we can really do. The feelings i got watching us in that first is like watching truly exciting teams absolutely blitz it. You really get caught up in it. Not sure if its sustainable or what we need to win the premiership, but that half of footy was a dream to watch!
That's the sort of stuff you show those who know nothing of the sport. All we needed was a few speccys and we would have a hype vid for the afl for next year :)

I'm gushing but I just got taken along for the ride haha

I've blanked the second half out of my mind, and just reimagining that first half over and over.

Intense pressure, aggressive in both defence and offense and we were pulling monkeys out of hats and stockings and who knows what else. There have been plays in our games or phases when we excel and show what we can really do. The feelings i got watching us in that first is like watching truly exciting teams absolutely blitz it. You really get caught up in it. Not sure if its sustainable or what we need to win the premiership, but that half of footy was a dream to watch!
That's the sort of stuff you show those who know nothing of the sport. All we needed was a few speccys and we would have a hype vid for the afl for next year :)

I'm gushing but I just got taken along for the ride haha
The positive is that they add the first half to the second half and if you're in front at the end you WIN.

lionraven

All Australian
Feb 17, 2016
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
The backline transformation thanks to Nobel/Ambrogio/the drafting team. We've got HA as the backshoulder interceptor primary KPD playmaker ala Rance and McGovern. HA can cover the lead with his wingspan and jump over the top. His weakness is the one on one wrestle or playing in front where he can get nudged easily. We've got Darcy Gardiner as the medium defender who can play both tall and small but is adept at covering the lead and winning/locking down the ground ball. He is essentially a medium tall that excels at playing small with his dexterity and acceleration.

The master stroke was adding Adams to this mix. I personally did not understand why we were chasing a contracted injury prone (and occasionally home sick) player so hard and gave up so much for him. Now it makes sense. He is essentially Gardiner but excels at playing tall. He has the same height as Gardiner and can play small and tall. Gardiner likes to run with and cut off the lead with a timely spoil like a small whereas Adams likes to use his bulk and grapple to take space and block. They perfectly compliment each other. Darcy can now focus on the smalls and matching their agility. Whilst Adams can take on the second tall and block space with his strength. This also frees HA to zone off and come off his man over the back shoulder for a spoil.

So now you have Adams who can grapple/wrestle and take up front position on players like Jenkins/Lynch(Rich) and can use his bulk to block space to stop a leading KPD like Hawkins/Cameron. HA can play backshoulder on the main KPD with Adams blocking the lead he can zone off and spoil/mark the Adams contest as he chooses. Darcy can now monster the third tall/medium sized forward with his superior bulk and matching ground level dexterity. Not to mention Answerth who is able to shut down smalls at such a young age. This frees up Witherden to focus more on attacking. When Hodge retires we can opt to replace his position with another KPD in the form of Payne or a half back playmaker with speed ala Starc; or go like for like with Lester.

For the past few years we've cried out for a more athletic, explosive on acceleration, stronger in the contest/grapple version of Lester. We now have that in the form of Adams. Its funny seeing Adams compared to Walker who is a good 5cm taller than him. Adams is perfect as that undersized tall who plays KPD knowing HA is there for support. He complements that Darcy-HA partnership so well.

Jan 13, 2016
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
The backline transformation thanks to Nobel/Ambrogio/the drafting team. We've got HA as the backshoulder interceptor primary KPD playmaker ala Rance and McGovern. HA can cover the lead with his wingspan and jump over the top. His weakness is the one on one wrestle or playing in front where he can get nudged easily. We've got Darcy Gardiner as the medium defender who can play both tall and small but is adept at covering the lead and winning/locking down the ground ball. He is essentially a medium tall that excels at playing small with his dexterity and acceleration.

The master stroke was adding Adams to this mix. I personally did not understand why we were chasing a contracted injury prone (and occasionally home sick) player so hard and gave up so much for him. Now it makes sense. He is essentially Gardiner but excels at playing tall. He has the same height as Gardiner and can play small and tall. Gardiner likes to run with and cut off the lead with a timely spoil like a small whereas Adams likes to use his bulk and grapple to take space and block. They perfectly compliment each other. Darcy can now focus on the smalls and matching their agility. Whilst Adams can take on the second tall and block space with his strength. This also frees HA to zone off and come off his man over the back shoulder for a spoil.

So now you have Adams who can grapple/wrestle and take up front position on players like Jenkins/Lynch(Rich) and can use his bulk to block space to stop a leading KPD like Hawkins/Cameron. HA can play backshoulder on the main KPD with Adams blocking the lead he can zone off and spoil/mark the Adams contest as he chooses. Darcy can now monster the third tall/medium sized forward with his superior bulk and matching ground level dexterity. Not to mention Answerth who is able to shut down smalls at such a young age. This frees up Witherden to focus more on attacking. When Hodge retires we can opt to replace his position with another KPD in the form of Payne or a half back playmaker with speed ala Starc; or go like for like with Lester.

For the past few years we've cried out for a more athletic, explosive on acceleration, stronger in the contest/grapple version of Lester. We now have that in the form of Adams. Its funny seeing Adams compared to Walker who is a good 5cm taller than him. Adams is perfect as that undersized tall who plays KPD knowing HA is there for support. He complements that Darcy-HA partnership so well.
Also handy having Bailey who can play back or forward and has some real speed to break the game open.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
Charlie Cameron has played a pivotal role in converting my partner into a Lions supporter. She absolutely loves him. Always asking how he goes after each game she can't watch. I'm slightly concerned she loves him more than me... but it's all worth it. :p
I had to double check if this was a post that I forgot I wrote.

MacMum

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 6, 2007
Ballarat
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
He comes across as a very down to earth character. Love his smiles throughout the games.

How could anyone not love him!.....his face just lights up into that cheeky open smile he has. Can imagine he lights up all those around him too with his happy go lucky enthusiastic attitude.

He's the type of person we need at the club. The more the merrier.

Looks like for tickets for the Geelong game are sold out. Only 2 single seats available on the map this morning...

Thats what I thought. Had a look on Tuesday and there was only single seats available. Got someone who was a member to call up just in case and we were able to get two seats together...in the back row.

Milux

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 29, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Last season we scored 1825 for the entire season. We are 95 points off that with 3 games to go. (Good chance we beat it this weekend).

Last season we allowed 2049 points against. Currently sits at 1485 points against right now. As it stands (unless we concede 200 points a game here on out) we are a much better team defensively. And are taking our opportunities going forward.

Honestly no one seen this big a turn around coming. I felt finals were possible. But to go into the last 2 rounds fighting for top spot really blows my mind.

Back