Review Port v essendon review thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Kicking accurately with our first few shots on goal made a big difference. Think back to the first 15 minutes of the GWS game where R Gray, Rozee and S Gray butchered simple opportunities to kick goals. Scoreboard pressure does funny things to sides.

It's a shame that we can't have any confidence that the good goal kicking from the weekend will continue for the rest of the season.

Real shame about Framptons suspension - I would be excited if he was clunking marks and crashing packs as part of the forward mix. Great to see Todd back and on the lead. His foot skills are sublime for a big man. Also loved his late work dropping back and taking marks in defence. Ladhams superb for a third gamer but Ryder still our best centre square ruckman by the length of Flemington straight
His handball skills are far better. Not a big fan of his kicking skills atm but loved the way he hit the packs hard. Every week please.

It was a very open less pressure game.

The fact we could pin point passes and not blind around the body snaps highlighted this

Correct. Pressure us and we * our I50s and rush our kicks out of defence and fumble under perceived pressure.

Don't pressure us and we win by 50. Just bring your effort and you'll beat us, generally. Essendon were woeful with their work rate.

There is a good reason the Crows pressure game *s our s**t up. The times we beat them are when they don't work hard enough and their team defence fails.

Ladhams looks really good, in hindsight, the 5 year deal with Lycett looks questionable. Ladhams is as big but is more athletic.

Imagine trading out Motlop, Watts or Rockliff for Polec?????????? Polec and Amon would be enough run and carry to match insiders like Wines, Ebert, Powell Pepper, Drew, Atley, Gray. Polec probably would have been paid 30% less than Rockliff, 20% less than Motlop and marginally more than Watts.

I cannot for the life of me how we traded out Polec. Worst trade out decision since Tom Harley (or maybe Shaun)

Ladhams looks really good, in hindsight, the 5 year deal with Lycett looks questionable. Ladhams is as big but is more athletic.
Lycett is still our No.1 ruck. Ladhams was barely SANFL standard last year and Ryder can't ruck whole games.

Ladhams can probably play as a forward/ruck too.

I was out fishing bagging out on whiting and squid. Had radio in background but was in disbelief when we won by 10 goals. You just can't pick this team from one to the next. Good wins feel hollow when you sense that next week can bring out an inspid performance. But so good to put doubt and a minor dent on the bombers run into finals

Imagine trading out Motlop, Watts or Rockliff for Polec?????????? Polec and Amon would be enough run and carry to match insiders like Wines, Ebert, Powell Pepper, Drew, Atley, Gray. Polec probably would have been paid 30% less than Rockliff, 20% less than Motlop and marginally more than Watts.

I cannot for the life of me how we traded out Polec. Worst trade out decision since Tom Harley (or maybe Shaun)

Polec was not popular with the players...Still not...But like your point about Polec & Amon..But no one expected Amon to be playing like he is..

Ladhams is not a number 1 ruck man, YET. My guess is, still 2-3 years away from that. So as Lycett ages they will have continuity to Ladhams & Hayes..Something I have not seen in our history. I do think that Hayes will be a better Ruckman. But Ladhams a better forward/ruck man. The sun might be shining..

Is this the shitposting thread now?

Polec probably would have been paid 30% less than Rockliff, 20% less than Motlop and marginally more than Watts.

Polec's foot was the problem which is why we only offered 3 years.

If he stayed, he would have been paid about the same as Rockliff and more than Motlop. Which isn't an issue, it's the 4 or 5 years that's the issue.

We played a style of footy that was enjoyable to watch but against a team that didn't look like a top 8 side. Essendon struggled to beat GC week before.

That win doesn't give me any more confidence going into our upcoming game against Sydney.

We played a style of footy that was enjoyable to watch but against a team that didn't look like a top 8 side. Essendon struggled to beat GC week before.

That win doesn't give me any more confidence going into our upcoming game against Sydney.

Sydney won't have the grunt.. post season festivities already started

if you look at the Table - Crows are in for 1 spot. And if Bombers bomb out - we 're in.
We need to win 3/3 & even that may not guarantee a finals guernsey. Freo 's still alive

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wowzers. You're missing the mark here so frequently I'm thinking you must be Charlie Dixon.

This happened when we beat WC, they were going through a poor patch, the week prior they struggled to win.

What were the average ages there can't have been much in it they had no first year players out there vs our 3

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
25 nearly 26 us
Vs
24 nearly 25

Sydney won't have the grunt.. post season festivities already started

if you look at the Table - Crows are in for 1 spot. And if Bombers bomb out - we 're in.
We need to win 3/3 & even that may not guarantee a finals guernsey. Freo 's still alive
Crows aren't making it. Won't win another game for the year.

Yes Dixon had a rough game statistically. But no shock that he takes the best defender and stops teams double teaming players.
And what happnes? MArshall Kicks 3, Robbie kicks 4, Rozee had shots.
The forward line kicks over 100 points and looked dangerous.

Not everything can be summed up in stats.
Dixon marshall and a resting ruck looked great!
Ok if frampton plays well sure try him in the dixon role. but we should never be going in with only a resting ruckman and a tall backman as our forward line ever again!

What were the average ages there can't have been much in it they had no first year players out there vs our 3

Port average age: 25y 255d
Port total experience: 2410 games

Essendon average age: 24y 303d
Essendon total experience: 1771 games

So young!

Port average age: 25y 255d
Port total experience: 2410 games

Essendon average age: 24y 303d
Essendon total experience: 1771 games

So young!

I felt dirty watching it.

I felt dirty watching it.

The commentary was doing my head in. Dwayne’s jibberish about keeping faith in Marshall and Dixon, the general “he’s backed in the kids!” sentiment when Rozee and Duursma kicked goals.

How this narrative is rolling along unquestioned is baffling.

When he said “we had a young team out there” how does no journalist challenge him?

We have the age profile of a loaded challenger and it’s not even close.

OK I’ll put it out there. I’m starting to like that silver/grey guernsey. I think it should be elevated in the pecking order of our guernseys. Perhaps wear it at Adelaide Oval night games? I feel it makes the players stand out a bit more and in today’s game any advantage however small should be taken. It’s just a thought!!

Last edited:
The commentary was doing my head in. Dwayne’s jibberish about keeping faith in Marshall and Dixon, the general “he’s backed in the kids!” sentiment when Rozee and Duursma kicked goals.

How this narrative is rolling along unquestioned is baffling.

When he said “we had a young team out there” how does no journalist challenge him?

We have the age profile of a loaded challenger and it’s not even close.
Dwayne talks utter shite, he is an absolute politician who plays for his contract. A complete sell out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back