Review Round 20, 2019 - Brisbane Lions vs. Western Bulldogs

Who were your five best players against Western Bulldogs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Lions Flag 2020

Club Legend
Jul 18, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
My random observations.
1. When we turn it on and win centre clearances we can score quickly and no team can go with us.
2. Our defenders are defending centre clearance losses very well.
3. We let them storm back into the game because we started playing too slowly and negatively.
4. Thought Rayner was cleaner below his knees.
5. Answerth outstanding.
6. I feel safe when Adams is defending 1 on 1. He is so strong. That body work he did on Bont was excellent. Usually Bont marks that 9/10 times.
7. Bailys pace is a real asset. Thought he played a much better game.
8. Cameron would be my first pick in the All Australian team. He is just too good.
9. Berrys last quarter was superb.
10. We are a genuine contender but we need Zorks fit and healthy.

rangatangtang

Cancelled
Jul 20, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Should we give Linc a rest or wait until the break before the finals?

He was great after the bye but has dropped off again.
Forgettable game but will have a good opportunity to rediscover his form against the suns and cats.

If he was dropped for Keays though I think it would be a good chance for him to get a few goals and some confidence that he can take going forward.

Keays confident could be a real weapon in beating geelong and west coast with the way we will want to get it delivered inside 50

rangatangtang

Cancelled
Jul 20, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Berry has had huge challenges this year but today showed a glimpse of the player the will be if he gets a good pre season in. What a game he played.
Yeah I didn't notice any errors from him except his finishing but he still hasnt reached his full potential and think he will be extremely dangerous this year or next

jjami15

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 16, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Look I feel that I need to put my hand up and take the blame here for last nights game. I turned to my mate and said, “I don’t get it, the Dogs, they’re not even that good!” We even looked at the live ladder and we were a whole percentage point above West Coast and then then it happened. They came back and made a game of it. I take full responsibility and shall never do it again.

fugitive

Club Legend
Aug 3, 2002
Sydney
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Brisbane Lions
My random observations.
1. When we turn it on and win centre clearances we can score quickly and no team can go with us.
2. Our defenders are defending centre clearance losses very well.
3. We let them storm back into the game because we started playing too slowly and negatively.
4. Thought Rayner was cleaner below his knees.
5. Answerth outstanding.
6. I feel safe when Adams is defending 1 on 1. He is so strong. That body work he did on Bont was excellent. Usually Bont marks that 9/10 times.
8. Cameron would be my first pick in the All Australian team. He is just too good.
9. Berrys last quarter was superb.
10. We are a genuine contender but we need Zorks fit and healthy.

Our first half and early half of 3rd quarter was super like a well oiled machine. I watched the whole game closely and could not find a flaw except a few easy missed scores. Our intercepts and rebound scoring of the back half was as good as I have seen. Lots of individual brilliance and one percentage (Charlie, Mitch, Rayner, Gardiner etc) and how good was the double handed tap to Neale in the 3rd leading to Charlie goal!

Jan 13, 2016
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Just looking through the stats sheet we had quite a few players down today on paper.

In fact if you just look at the raw individual data they had several really good players ,we had less.

Surely it's a great sign that we won relatively easily.

The really good thing for me is seeing Hippy take 10 marks ,that's a fantastic effort for a key forward.
Our pressure was intense all day. Makes a huge difference to the mindset of the other team. Have to move the ball quickly cos they're expecting to get tackled.

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
I’m no mathematician, but interesting that both the Lions and Eagles are +245 points (difference between for and against), we have kicked more points, yet the Eagles have a higher percentage.:think:

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I’m no mathematician, but interesting that both the Lions and Eagles are +245 points (difference between for and against), we have kicked more points, yet the Eagles have a higher percentage.:think:

It would be an interesting ladder if instead of percentage ranking teams it was points for. Wonder if it would make teams more attacking and games better to watch.

Aug 17, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

It's the good old margin when it's a bigger score. We have also conceded more points. To put it in perspective, a 5 goal win keeping the opposition to less than 50 points is worth more than a 130-100 scoreline. Probably could have explained it better though

May 20, 2015
Maleny, Queensland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Looked smaller than the North game. Was suprised it was nearly 26,000
Its still a bit deceptive as there is a large area over beside the cricketer's in the upper level they still don't open. If the cameras pan that way it looks a bit sparse and you have that incredibly stupid outdoor deck down behind the visitors goals taking up so much space with people sitting at tables. I guess the Lions didn't contemplate this season turning like it has and are now stuck with the stupid thing taking up space and looking like amateur hour on TV. I sit above and across from it and rarely do you see any supporters in there they are just people on the piss that dont know when to cheer so its a big dead spot in the crowd.

Disagree. We let them storm back into the game because our pressure dropped off from the intensity that saw the Dogs spill chance after chance early in the game. We played slowly and deliberately all game, including when we were winning.

I loved his game. He catches so many unawares with that burst of speed and he's got a pretty good eye for getting in the way for handballs or kicks that aren't quite pinpoint enough. We might not recover every time but worst case it buys time for the defence to set up.

Its still a bit deceptive as there is a large area over beside the cricketer's in the upper level they still don't open. If the cameras pan that way it looks a bit sparse and you have that incredibly stupid outdoor deck down behind the visitors goals taking up so much space with people sitting at tables. I guess the Lions didn't contemplate this season turning like it has and are now stuck with the stupid thing taking up space and looking like amateur hour on TV. I sit above and across from it and rarely do you see any supporters in there they are just people on the piss that dont know when to cheer so its a big dead spot in the crowd.

From memory the Lions don't get a say in that bar - it's set up for the pool for the cricket, so the seats have been removed and aren't going to get put back in just for the AFL. The bar is basically "well there's not really any other options".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That was one fun replay to watch.

We certainly looked like a final calibre team and for 3.5/4 quarters we had their number.

In the presser, Fagan mentioned that the lapse in form happening at the same time as Zorko going off had to be a coincidence, but I don't buy it.

In the replay it wasn't as obvious, but at the ground it was clear as day our mids didn't transition and defend well and lacked the pressure we had earlier in the game. Zorko plays that defensive mid role so well that the moment we couldn't rotate him back on we were flustered and didn't plug the holes he fills.

Thankfully we have a good team and at 3QT they regrouped and won the contested stats and tackled incredibly well. We looked a lot more composed and played with intent to fill that void. It was a lapse, but it happens and it's a good lesson for the players to learn. They were faced with the sudden removal of the best defensive midfielder in the game and had to find a way. The whole group stepped up.

While Lyons and Neale weren't majorly influential, they both had some strong moments (Neales entire third and Lyons fourth) and applied a truckload of pressure (20 tackles and 61 pressure acts combined). Berry was very strong in the fourth and Robbo was a brute all game.

Great team effort and outside of that one blip was the type of game you'd expect out of a top four side.

May 5, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
It was a great idea when the crowds were down , next year back to normal seating you would hope .
I'm like you personally don't like it anyway , I would feel like a fish out of water in there , but I'm not a look at me type, rather look at the game type.

What is the capacity now , Pies game just over 34000, maybe around 36,000?

Sep 14, 2012
Broadbeach
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I have not been able to watch a lot of games this year... but looking at the ladder we have the best points for but a middle of the road for points against. Is there a main reason for this? I assume our midfield can be a bit slow on the rebound (Lyons is fairly poor at defending for example). I think for us to be genuine premiership fancy we might have to tighten that part of our game up. Teams can score quickly against us at times...

I have not been able to watch a lot of games this year... but looking at the ladder we have the best points for but a middle of the road for points against. Is there a main reason for this? I assume our midfield can be a bit slow on the rebound (Lyons is fairly poor at defending for example). I think for us to be genuine premiership fancy we might have to tighten that part of our game up. Teams can score quickly against us at times...

We've been defensively very good for a while, just let ourselves down in this regard early in the season. I think we're averaging 60 odd against since the bye.

Jan 13, 2016
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
AND ONCE AGAIN O'BRIENS CATERING DID NOT HAVE ENOUGH BARS OPEN OR STAFF. LINE UPS WERE A DISGRACE. COULD NOT WALK AROUND THE GROUND AT HALF TIME DUE TO THE LONG LINES. DISGRACEFUL.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

We're not that far behind the 2nd best team for points against (about 3 points a game worse) which can be contributed to the Essendon and Collingwood games where our midfield was smashed.

We must be averaging about 70 points against a game since the Crows game in round 9 which would be as good as anyone.

Losses to Essendon and Collingwood.

You can see how stable we've been defensively after those two:

Reduce those two games to the next worst score against us (92) and our defense is as good as West Coast's while our offense is significantly better.

Brett C

Club Legend
Oct 11, 2014
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Manchester United
If the crowds allowed they would just open up the upper deck next to the Members so that area doesn't really matter to crowd numbers.

There are plenty of stupid people who have been supporters for years who don't know when to cheer so worrying about a couple of hundred people is hardly an issue.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Losses to Essendon and Collingwood.

You can see how stable we've been defensively after those two:

View attachment 720785

Reduce those two games to the next worst score against us (92) and our defense is as good as West Coast's while our offense is significantly better.

How did we manage to concede on average 130 points a game in 2016?

In terms of our midfield group, Lyons could hardly be said to be poor at defending. Here are the season averages for tackles per game:

Zorko 6.6
Lyons 5.7
Robinson 4.6
McCluggage 3.8
Neale 3.8

Back